    S.Geller Guest

    VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
    phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?
    S.Geller, Oct 27, 2004

  2. S.Geller

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (S.Geller) writes:

    >VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
    >phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?

    I'm hoping for integration with mobile telephones.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=&frame=off

    --kyler
    Kyler Laird, Oct 27, 2004

  3. S.Geller

    Pepperoni Guest

    "S.Geller" <> wrote in message
    > VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
    > phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?

    What's next? Ethernet over power lines looks hot. Plug your ethernet card
    directly into the electric wall socket. All those expensive fiber optics
    will terminate on a utility pole instead of inside each house. The time
    will come when we aren't issued social security numbers; we'll be given an
    IP addy at birth.

    Currently available in limited areas
    http://www.currentgroup.com/LearnMore/HowItWorks/index.html

    I also expect this technology to open up wireless networks due to reduced
    startup costs and infrastructure.
    Pepperoni, Oct 27, 2004
  4. S.Geller

    papi Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:43:42 -0400, Pepperoni wrote:

    > "S.Geller" <> wrote in message
    >> VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
    >> phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?

    > What's next? Ethernet over power lines looks hot. Plug your ethernet card
    > directly into the electric wall socket. All those expensive fiber optics
    > will terminate on a utility pole instead of inside each house. The time
    > will come when we aren't issued social security numbers; we'll be given an
    > IP addy at birth.
    >
    > Currently available in limited areas
    > http://www.currentgroup.com/LearnMore/HowItWorks/index.html
    >
    > I also expect this technology to open up wireless networks due to reduced
    > startup costs and infrastructure.

    Actually PoE (Power over the Ethernet) is what is catching up. I am
    wiring now all the new buildings this way, with either switches equipped
    with PoE, or patch pannels capable of such (where switches are old
    legacy), and I have more and more devices using it: access points, web
    cams, building automation systems (this is BIG! for those who understand
    the consequences), SCADA/industrial-manufacturing-processes automation,
    etc.

    What I am trying to implement next: seamless 802.11 <--> GSM
    transitioning, so that same phones are used inside the building for VoIP
    costs ("almost" nothing), and pay the GSM services only when moving
    outside - and this part of a converged networks plan ... the technology is
    here, I just (personally) have not had the chance to play with it to its
    full extent.

    Papi
    papi, Oct 30, 2004