    allowing Vista X64 to manage Hyper-V.

    Anyone?

    Thanks!

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 20, 2008

  2. No, it isn't a supported guest yet. (It works, just no Integration
    Components, so you need to choose a Legacy NIC.)

    It does work as a management machine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008

  3. Thanks Charlie... done that! However without integration, the box is SLOW as
    molasses. Unlike the supported x86 box which is fleet and nimble...

    Thanks.

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 21, 2008
  4. I didn't find it all that bad. Throw an extra proc at it, and give it some
    more RAM. Not sure what you had it set for, but on my VM with 2 procs and 2
    GB of RAM, it runs decent. I admit, I'm not using it for any sort of
    production work, it's just a test box, so I really wouldn't notice if it is
    a bit slow.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008
  5. Had it with 1 Gig and 1 proc Charlie...

    The test bed has 8 GB of ram so I could try it with double.

    Thanks!

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 21, 2008
  6. Charlie,

    Had planned to run Core but couldn't find the nice stuff, like how to set up
    the virtual guests... in the end I figured WTF, I'm a Windows kind of guy.
    After a day of this I thought I needed a life... without the stress. <VBG>

    If however, you happen to stroll across some info that I could use, please
    do pass it along.

    Thanks again!

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 21, 2008
  7. I have a whole series of scripts that set up a Core machine. They're
    included in my Server 2008 Administrator's Companion book, from MS Press.
    They do the full setup of a core machine to be a remote office RODC with
    DNS, DHCP, etc, and set up remote administration. With comments so you can
    see what you need and what you don't.

    All configuration of Hyper-V itself, on Core, is done from the remote
    Hyper-V Manager running on another machine. (I run it from Vista 64 on my
    main workstation. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008
  8. 1 GB is starving for a Vista machine, and on a VM where it's running without
    ICs, it's going to be pretty slow.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008
  9. Looks like I need another of your fine books. <VBG> Can I get mine
    autographed?

    Amazon.ca here I come...

    Regards!

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 21, 2008
  10. So for comparison...

    I have x64 and x86 Vista boxes running under Hyper-V...

    x86 footprint ~ 350 K, x64 is double

    x86 has IC and is quick and nimble even with 1 GB memory and 1 processor.
    x64 has no IC and is slow with 2 GB of memory and TWO processors...

    What does that tell you?

    Where the heck is Microsoft's support for x64?

    Regards.

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 21, 2008
  11. Of course you can. Any time we're in the same part of the world, bring it
    with you.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008
  12. It's the lack of ICs that's the biggest issue. Keep in mind, that from the
    MS perspective, Hyper-V is designed for SERVER loads. Not client loads. (And
    yes, I think that's whooie just as much as you do.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008