    Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement
    by Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.

    Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

    -=rjh=-, Mar 22, 2006

  2. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    news:4420c773$...
    > Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
    > Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
    >
    > Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx

    - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    - consumer availability in January 2007
    - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Mar 22, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    thingy Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
    >>Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
    >>
    >>Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx
    >
    > - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    > - consumer availability in January 2007
    > - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    So buy a xmas present and then have to pay for a Vista upgrade after Xmas?

    I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
    PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 22, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Brett Roberts wrote:
    >> "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an
    >>> announcement by Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx
    >>

    >> - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    >> - consumer availability in January 2007
    >> - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06
    >>
    >> Brett Roberts
    >> Microsoft NZ
    >>

    > So buy a xmas present and then have to pay for a Vista upgrade after Xmas?
    >
    > I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
    > PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

    Surely not, when Apple has a new OS due for release, they include the
    upgrade to the new OS for free if you buy the system within a certain
    time of the new OS being released - like around a month or three.

    Wouldn't MS do the same?

    (Not that most customers would face installing a new OS, especially one
    as difficult to install as Windows is. I guess Apple would be easier to
    upgrade, as it isn't a totally new OS).

    I'm a bit annoyed about this - I have a possible window of opportunity
    to buy a new laptop in November, and I think I would have preferred
    Vista on it. Maybe I'll have to pass on that.

    Also, this delays the stream of good secondhand gear coming onto the
    market as people upgrade :)

    -=rjh=-, Mar 22, 2006
  5. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
    >> Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
    >>
    >> Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx
    >
    > - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    > - consumer availability in January 2007
    > - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

    Thanks, that's straight from the source and quite clear. Will the Beta
    run (ie, not expire) until the final release? That is a much longer time
    frame than normal.

    IE7 delayed until then, too?

    -=rjh=-, Mar 22, 2006
  6. -=rjh=-

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:38:21 +1200, -=rjh=- <>
    exclaimed:

    >> I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
    >> PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

    >Surely not, when Apple has a new OS due for release, they include the
    >upgrade to the new OS for free if you buy the system within a certain
    >time of the new OS being released - like around a month or three.
    >
    >Wouldn't MS do the same?

    Yes.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 22, 2006
  7. -=rjh=-

    Mercury Guest

    > I'm a bit annoyed about this - I have a possible window of opportunity to
    > buy a new laptop in November, and I think I would have preferred Vista on
    > it. Maybe I'll have to pass on that.

    Why not get the laptop without an OS and put the beta on yourself?

    Mercury, Mar 22, 2006
  8. -=rjh=-

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:39:43 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement
    >by Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
    >
    >Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

    It was mentioned on TV3 news tonight - postponed to January 07.

    GraB, Mar 22, 2006
  9. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > >> Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
    > >> Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
    > >>
    > >> Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

    > > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx
    > >
    > > - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    > > - consumer availability in January 2007
    > > - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

    > Thanks, that's straight from the source and quite clear. Will the Beta
    > run (ie, not expire) until the final release? That is a much longer time
    > frame than normal.

    The beta's generally expire in a year from installation. Regardless we
    make a Community Technology Preview build of Windows Vista available
    every 2-3 months, this will continue after the Q2CY06 release that
    Brett refers to above through to the final release

    Today's announcement has more to do with packaging form factors than
    the Windows Vista products. The business availability of Windows Vista
    will be in November 2006 with general consumer and new pc availability
    in January 2007.

    Corporate customers, who can upgrade or migrate existing PCs, use a
    different distribution mechanism from end users who purchase
    preinstalled PCs. Businesses with volume license agreements with
    Microsoft can get the final RTM version within a couple of weeks of the
    product releasing to manufacturing (RTM). For end-users/consumers, the
    final version of Windows Vista must first be pre-loaded onto PCs or
    made available as a fully-packaged product by partners - including
    OEMs, retailers or system builders - and also need to be physically
    shipped out to retail outlets in some cases before it can be sold.

    These additional steps in the distribution process for consumers means
    that more time is needed to allow partners to prepare for providing
    Windows Vista to customers.

    > IE7 delayed until then, too?

    Most likely, no. I will post some more info when I can.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 22, 2006
  10. -=rjh=-

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message

    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx
    >> >
    >> > - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    >> > - consumer availability in January 2007
    >> > - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

    >> Thanks, that's straight from the source and quite clear. Will the Beta
    >> run (ie, not expire) until the final release? That is a much longer time
    >> frame than normal.

    > The beta's generally expire in a year from installation. Regardless we
    > make a Community Technology Preview build of Windows Vista available
    > every 2-3 months, this will continue after the Q2CY06 release that
    > Brett refers to above through to the final release
    >
    > Today's announcement has more to do with packaging form factors than
    > the Windows Vista products. The business availability of Windows Vista
    > will be in November 2006 with general consumer and new pc availability
    > in January 2007.
    >
    > Corporate customers, who can upgrade or migrate existing PCs, use a
    > different distribution mechanism from end users who purchase
    > preinstalled PCs. Businesses with volume license agreements with
    > Microsoft can get the final RTM version within a couple of weeks of the
    > product releasing to manufacturing (RTM). For end-users/consumers, the
    > final version of Windows Vista must first be pre-loaded onto PCs or
    > made available as a fully-packaged product by partners - including
    > OEMs, retailers or system builders - and also need to be physically
    > shipped out to retail outlets in some cases before it can be sold.
    >
    > These additional steps in the distribution process for consumers means
    > that more time is needed to allow partners to prepare for providing
    > Windows Vista to customers.
    >
    >> IE7 delayed until then, too?

    > Most likely, no. I will post some more info when I can.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    How do you explain the real reason for the delay of Vista as according to
    MICROSOFT SEATTLE , which is on STUFF under the Business section for all to
    see?

    There's also going to be 6 core versions of Vista according to MICROSOFT
    SEATTLE.
    The delay is make Vista more secure according to the report from Seattle.

    "Unlike the current Windows XP, there will be no versions designed
    specifically for advanced 64-bit computing, multimedia computers or Tablet
    PCs."

    Now ain't that interesting?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 22, 2006
  11. E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:

    > >> Thanks, that's straight from the source and quite clear. Will the Beta
    > >> run (ie, not expire) until the final release? That is a much longer time
    > >> frame than normal.

    > > The beta's generally expire in a year from installation. Regardless we
    > > make a Community Technology Preview build of Windows Vista available
    > > every 2-3 months, this will continue after the Q2CY06 release that
    > > Brett refers to above through to the final release
    > >
    > > Today's announcement has more to do with packaging form factors than
    > > the Windows Vista products. The business availability of Windows Vista
    > > will be in November 2006 with general consumer and new pc availability
    > > in January 2007.
    > >
    > > Corporate customers, who can upgrade or migrate existing PCs, use a
    > > different distribution mechanism from end users who purchase
    > > preinstalled PCs. Businesses with volume license agreements with
    > > Microsoft can get the final RTM version within a couple of weeks of the
    > > product releasing to manufacturing (RTM). For end-users/consumers, the
    > > final version of Windows Vista must first be pre-loaded onto PCs or
    > > made available as a fully-packaged product by partners - including
    > > OEMs, retailers or system builders - and also need to be physically
    > > shipped out to retail outlets in some cases before it can be sold.
    > >
    > > These additional steps in the distribution process for consumers means
    > > that more time is needed to allow partners to prepare for providing
    > > Windows Vista to customers.
    > >
    > >> IE7 delayed until then, too?

    > > Most likely, no. I will post some more info when I can.

    > How do you explain the real reason for the delay of Vista as according to
    > MICROSOFT SEATTLE , which is on STUFF under the Business section for all to
    > see?

    The real reason is mentioned above. Windows Vista is still on schedule
    to RTM this year, and available to businesses before the end of the
    year. The delay until next year is getting it preloaded on PCs and
    distributed through into the channel in retail boxes.

    I'm sure RTM versions will make their way onto torrent networks this
    calendar year :)

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3612469a13,00.html
    >
    > There's also going to be 6 core versions of Vista according to MICROSOFT
    > SEATTLE.

    There will only be 5 versions available in New Zealand, and only 2 of
    those are relevant to business. Windows Vista Business Edition
    Windows Vista Enterprise Edition

    > The delay is make Vista more secure according to the report from Seattle.
    >
    > "Unlike the current Windows XP, there will be no versions designed
    > specifically for advanced 64-bit computing, multimedia computers or Tablet
    > PCs."
    >
    > Now ain't that interesting?

    I don't believe word for word everything I read in the papers, or on
    usenet for that matter

    I'm not sure where the delay to make it more secure comes from. The
    delay is explained above.

    All relevant NZ versions will be available in 32 and 64 bit versions.
    I guess multimeda computers is meant to mean Media Center PCs. Both
    Media Center and Tablet PC are built in now, rather than having
    separate versions like there is today.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 22, 2006
  12. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:08:01 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

    > - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    > - consumer availability in January 2007
    > - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

    More correctly, "Volume licencing available in November 2006" but retail
    versions not available until 2007.

    Of course that's unless M$ doesn't slip the release date back yet again.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "Open source and Linux in particular, have
    become an ideal environment for developing enterprise-class software,

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 22, 2006
  13. -=rjh=-

> [...]

    > those are relevant to business. Windows Vista Business Edition
    > Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
    >
    >> The delay is make Vista more secure according to the report from Seattle.
    >>
    >> "Unlike the current Windows XP, there will be no versions designed
    >> specifically for advanced 64-bit computing, multimedia computers or
    >> Tablet
    >> PCs."
    >>
    >> Now ain't that interesting?

    > I don't believe word for word everything I read in the papers, or on
    > usenet for that matter
    >
    > I'm not sure where the delay to make it more secure comes from. The
    > delay is explained above.
    >
    > All relevant NZ versions will be available in 32 and 64 bit versions.
    > I guess multimeda computers is meant to mean Media Center PCs. Both
    > Media Center and Tablet PC are built in now, rather than having

    There must be 2 main markets for a some years yet all right. The very large
    budget market that will be on 32bit systems, and the growing upper 64bit
    market as the technology keeps improving.
    They most likely misquoted what the guy from Microsoft had released to the
    press, with the growing number of 64bit computers.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 22, 2006
  14. -=rjh=-

    MarkH Guest

    "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in

    > There must be 2 main markets for a some years yet all right. The very
    > large budget market that will be on 32bit systems, and the growing
    > upper 64bit market as the technology keeps improving.
    > They most likely misquoted what the guy from Microsoft had released to
    > the press, with the growing number of 64bit computers.

    What budget PCs will only be 32-Bit at the start of next year?

    AMD have already switched all of their CPUs to 64-Bit for desktop PCs, in
    six months Intel will most likely follow suit (well, maybe).

    Vista is still 9 months away, I predict that almost all 32-bit versions
    will only sell to people upgrading. New PCs will be able to run the 64-bit
    version.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 22, 2006
  15. -=rjh=-

    thingy Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Brett Roberts wrote:
    >>
    >>> "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx
    >>>

    >>> - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
    >>> - consumer availability in January 2007
    >>> - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06
    >>>
    >>> Brett Roberts
    >>> Microsoft NZ
    >>>

    >> So buy a xmas present and then have to pay for a Vista upgrade after
    >> Xmas?
    >>
    >> I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
    >> PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

    > Surely not, when Apple has a new OS due for release, they include the
    > upgrade to the new OS for free if you buy the system within a certain
    > time of the new OS being released - like around a month or three.
    >
    > Wouldn't MS do the same?

    yes, I think that is how it was for say a Dell customer in the past,
    however as you say how many customers would or could upgrade? Not many.

    > (Not that most customers would face installing a new OS, especially one
    > as difficult to install as Windows is. I guess Apple would be easier to
    > upgrade, as it isn't a totally new OS).

    Apple do not do upgrades as such, it is a new one. When I went from 9.x
    to 10.3 and 10.3 to 10.4 each time I got a complete new OS.

    > I'm a bit annoyed about this - I have a possible window of opportunity
    > to buy a new laptop in November, and I think I would have preferred
    > Vista on it. Maybe I'll have to pass on that.
    >
    > Also, this delays the stream of good secondhand gear coming onto the
    > market as people upgrade :)

    Yep....though my kit is now so old.....my best box is a p3-1000...

    :/

    Looking at second hand parts, expensive. I actually think because new
    Ram and motherboards are so cheap, buying second hand makes little sense.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 23, 2006
  16. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> So buy a xmas present and then have to pay for a Vista upgrade after
    >>> Xmas?
    >>>
    >>> I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
    >>> PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

    >> Surely not, when Apple has a new OS due for release, they include the
    >> upgrade to the new OS for free if you buy the system within a certain
    >> time of the new OS being released - like around a month or three.
    >>
    >> Wouldn't MS do the same?

    > yes, I think that is how it was for say a Dell customer in the past,
    > however as you say how many customers would or could upgrade? Not many.
    >
    >> (Not that most customers would face installing a new OS, especially
    >> one as difficult to install as Windows is. I guess Apple would be
    >> easier to upgrade, as it isn't a totally new OS).

    > Apple do not do upgrades as such, it is a new one. When I went from 9.x
    > to 10.3 and 10.3 to 10.4 each time I got a complete new OS.
    >
    >> I'm a bit annoyed about this - I have a possible window of opportunity
    >> to buy a new laptop in November, and I think I would have preferred
    >> Vista on it. Maybe I'll have to pass on that.
    >>
    >> Also, this delays the stream of good secondhand gear coming onto the
    >> market as people upgrade :)

    > Yep....though my kit is now so old.....my best box is a p3-1000...
    >
    > :/

    Luxury. My fastest box is a P3/667.

    > Looking at second hand parts, expensive. I actually think because new
    > Ram and motherboards are so cheap, buying second hand makes little sense.

    Prices are continuing to drop, look at the price of new entry level
    laptops (although there is a huge jump in price if you want proper
    graphics, which will likely be a pre-requisite for running Vista).

    Pretty hard to justify messing around with old crap, although all this
    new stuff is really bad for the environment. Vista will indirectly be
    responsible for a considerable amount of landfill, I think.

    -=rjh=-, Mar 23, 2006
  17. -=rjh=-

    Shane Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >> Yep....though my kit is now so old.....my best box is a p3-1000...
    >>
    >> :/

    > Luxury. My fastest box is a P3/667.
    >

    >> Looking at second hand parts, expensive. I actually think because new
    >> Ram and motherboards are so cheap, buying second hand makes little sense.

    > Prices are continuing to drop, look at the price of new entry level
    > laptops (although there is a huge jump in price if you want proper
    > graphics, which will likely be a pre-requisite for running Vista).
    >
    > Pretty hard to justify messing around with old crap, although all this
    > new stuff is really bad for the environment. Vista will indirectly be
    > responsible for a considerable amount of landfill, I think.

    $deity I hope not, as a Linux user, and a geek, I could put those machines
    to a *lot* of good use (ok the power bills will suck... but its worth
    it :)
    Heck, even windows users who dont want to upgrade will put them to use (for
    evidence look at how many 98se boxes are floating about)

    Shane, Mar 23, 2006
  18. -=rjh=-

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in
    >
    >> There must be 2 main markets for a some years yet all right. The very
    >> large budget market that will be on 32bit systems, and the growing
    >> upper 64bit market as the technology keeps improving.
    >> They most likely misquoted what the guy from Microsoft had released to
    >> the press, with the growing number of 64bit computers.

    > What budget PCs will only be 32-Bit at the start of next year?
    >
    > AMD have already switched all of their CPUs to 64-Bit for desktop PCs, in
    > six months Intel will most likely follow suit (well, maybe).
    >
    > Vista is still 9 months away, I predict that almost all 32-bit versions
    > will only sell to people upgrading. New PCs will be able to run the
    > 64-bit
    > version.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Heyes (New Zealand)

    A lot of new AMD Semprons aren't even over a Gigahertz. Budget PCs will be
    sold for a few years yet. Perhaps the next lot of budget AMD PCs will be
    using old Athon chips, while budget Intel PCs will be using old Pentium 4
    chips replacing the cheap Celeron range.
    32 bits does the job for those with budget needs using budget PCs.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 23, 2006
  19. -=rjh=-

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:44:26 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >A lot of new AMD Semprons aren't even over a Gigahertz.

    Huh?

    Bret, Mar 23, 2006
  20. -=rjh=-

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:44:26 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> exclaimed:

    >A lot of new AMD Semprons aren't even over a Gigahertz.

    Beeep, wrong. I don't know where you get that idea from. I don't think
    AMD even MADE a Sempron under a gig. Not even the mobile processors
    are under a gig...

    > Budget PCs will be
    >sold for a few years yet. Perhaps the next lot of budget AMD PCs will be
    >using old Athon chips, while budget Intel PCs will be using old Pentium 4
    >chips replacing the cheap Celeron range.

    ALL desktop Athlon and Sempron sold are 64-bit. Intel is slowly
    following suit (although these aren't "proper" 64-bit processors).

    >32 bits does the job for those with budget needs using budget PCs.

    So does 16-bit. But 64-bit does it better.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 23, 2006