    string, and then terminate, it also needs to be windows based, not dos.
    Does anyone know of such a program or can someone suggest someone who
    could write this simple program at a low cost?

    Rosco, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Rosco

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:15:28 GMT, Rosco wrote:

    Is VB The answer? Not always.

    >I am setting up a friends bar point of sale system, but am having
    >problems getting the cash drawer to pop. The software I use will not

    Software you wrote / software you purchased? Big difference.

    If purchased ask the supplier, checking it's compatiable with XP of
    course.

    >properly send raw data to the com1 port. It's a dos based program,

    No one else can do stuff like that, OTOH maybe that's why lots of
    programming tools have DLLs and built in library routines for accessing
    ports. Many of these DLLs can often be bought a low cost.

    >normally I would overcome this by writing the command in a batch file,
    >but the program effects the command prompt somehow in XP. The problem

    That's a bit vague.

    >is a known problem and only occurs on NT/XP basically i am looking for

    Glad you know it's a known fault, saves anyone else guessing.

    >some program that can send a CTRL+@ to the com1 ( a string of zeros
    >that must exceed 10 miliseconds). This program can not require input
    >to porperly function with the pos software. It needs to open, send the

    Ask in one of the many programming newsgroups, use a search engine to
    find a DLL you can use.

    1 example of many
    http://www.wcscnet.com/CdrvNBro.htm

    Some suggested groups maybe ,
    comp.lang.basic.visual
    comp.lang.basic.visual.3rdparty
    comp.lang.basic.visual.announce
    comp.lang.basic.visual.database
    comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
    comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
    comp.lang.visual
    comp.lang.visual.basic

    >string, and then terminate, it also needs to be windows based, not dos.
    >Does anyone know of such a program or can someone suggest someone who
    >could write this simple program at a low cost?

    Buy a working EPOS package, any half decent package should let you
    define the till control data strings / functions.

    Me

    why?, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    why? cried out

    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:15:28 GMT, Rosco wrote:
    >
    > Is VB The answer? Not always.
    >
    >>I am setting up a friends bar point of sale system, but am having
    >>problems getting the cash drawer to pop. The software I use will
    >>not

    > Software you wrote / software you purchased? Big difference.
    >
    > If purchased ask the supplier, checking it's compatiable with XP
    > of course.
    >
    >>properly send raw data to the com1 port. It's a dos based program,

    > No one else can do stuff like that, OTOH maybe that's why lots of
    > programming tools have DLLs and built in library routines for
    > accessing ports. Many of these DLLs can often be bought a low
    > cost.
    >
    >>normally I would overcome this by writing the command in a batch
    >>file, but the program effects the command prompt somehow in XP.
    >>The problem

    > That's a bit vague.
    >
    >>is a known problem and only occurs on NT/XP basically i am looking
    >>for

    > Glad you know it's a known fault, saves anyone else guessing.
    >
    >>some program that can send a CTRL+@ to the com1 ( a string of
    >>zeros that must exceed 10 miliseconds). This program can not
    >>require input to porperly function with the pos software. It
    >>needs to open, send the

    > Ask in one of the many programming newsgroups, use a search engine
    > to find a DLL you can use.
    >
    > 1 example of many
    > http://www.wcscnet.com/CdrvNBro.htm
    >
    > Some suggested groups maybe ,
    > comp.lang.basic.visual
    > comp.lang.basic.visual.3rdparty
    > comp.lang.basic.visual.announce
    > comp.lang.basic.visual.database
    > comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
    > comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
    > comp.lang.visual
    > comp.lang.visual.basic
    >

    >>string, and then terminate, it also needs to be windows based, not
    >>dos. Does anyone know of such a program or can someone suggest
    >>someone who could write this simple program at a low cost?

    > Buy a working EPOS package, any half decent package should let you
    > define the till control data strings / functions.
    >
    > Me

    I did not write the software, I downloaded it free at
    http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.htm the program doesnt use
    dlls because its dos, i do appreciate the help but you really dont
    have to be so blunt.

    Rosco, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Rosco

    Trax Guest

    Rosco <> wrote:

    |>why? cried out
    |>

    |>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:15:28 GMT, Rosco wrote:
    |>>
    |>> Is VB The answer? Not always.

    ^^^^^^^^^

    |>I did not write the software, I downloaded it free at
    |>http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.htm the program doesnt use
    |>dlls because its dos, i do appreciate the help but you really dont
    |>have to be so blunt.

    Might actually take the time to read the link...
    "Please note: Using any serial device (printer, scanner, cash drawer)
    with this cash register program is NOT recommended and in many cases
    they will not function at all."
    http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos3.htm

    But since it's a dos program you might want to run it thru DOSBOX
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox

    --
    Take a game break...
    http://games.briankass.com/

    Trax, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Rosco

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:42:11 GMT, Rosco wrote:

    >why? cried out
    >

    >> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:15:28 GMT, Rosco wrote:
    >>
    >> Is VB The answer? Not always.

    That's an answer. Now with the details you provided and VB does have
    DLLs for talking to ports. Yes.

    >>>I am setting up a friends bar point of sale system, but am having
    >>>problems getting the cash drawer to pop. The software I use will
    >>>not

    >> Software you wrote / software you purchased? Big difference.
    >>
    >> If purchased ask the supplier, checking it's compatiable with XP
    >> of course.
    >>
    >>>properly send raw data to the com1 port. It's a dos based program,

    >> No one else can do stuff like that, OTOH maybe that's why lots of
    >> programming tools have DLLs and built in library routines for
    >> accessing ports. Many of these DLLs can often be bought a low
    >> cost.
    >>
    >>>normally I would overcome this by writing the command in a batch
    >>>file, but the program effects the command prompt somehow in XP.
    >>>The problem

    >> That's a bit vague.
    >>
    >>>is a known problem and only occurs on NT/XP basically i am looking
    >>>for

    >> Glad you know it's a known fault, saves anyone else guessing.
    >>
    >>>some program that can send a CTRL+@ to the com1 ( a string of
    >>>zeros that must exceed 10 miliseconds). This program can not

    <snip>

    >>>string, and then terminate, it also needs to be windows based, not
    >>>dos. Does anyone know of such a program or can someone suggest
    >>>someone who could write this simple program at a low cost?

    >> Buy a working EPOS package, any half decent package should let you
    >> define the till control data strings / functions.
    >>
    >> Me
    >>

    >I did not write the software, I downloaded it free at
    >http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.htm the program doesnt use

    That's your problem. Previous answer applies , ask the (supplier)
    developer.

    >dlls because its dos, i do appreciate the help but you really dont

    The proggy could use DLLs from DOS it;s not unknown, but not trivial.

    >have to be so blunt.

    Your query left out several details.

    Your subject has 'VB' , which you never expanded on, can only assume
    common usage as Visual Basic, hence the DLL info.

    Then you now say it's a DOS prog, only providing info on the prog
    afterwards, don't you think that's a big thing to bring up now?

    Me

    why?, Nov 29, 2005