Is upgrading to the Canon PS G5 worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Barry McKean, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Barry McKean

    Barry McKean Guest

    Hi,

    I hope someone can offer their opinion as I'm undecided on whether to
    upgrade to the Canon Powershot G5 or not. My current camera is a
    Kodak DX3700 with 3.1MP. I have read quite a few reviews of the G5
    and i'm seriously tempted.

    My main questions are: Would I be able to print out the odd A3
    picture from the G5, as I would like to frame some landscape images.
    And how good would the quality of the print be, i.e. would the detail
    be clear and sharp? The issue about the purple fringing concerns me a
    little, as I have just come back from paris where it was really bright
    and sunny and would hate it that the majority of pics taken in bright
    sunlight would result in purple fringing.

    Finally, the cost of the camera is roughly £400 give or take, so is it
    worth the upgrade cost from a 3MP camera to a 5MP camera. I know my
    Kodak is not as good as current 3MP cameras, so maybe it is worth the
    cost. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Barry
    ==========================
    Remove SPAM TRAP to reply
    ==========================

    Barry McKean, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Barry McKean

    Sabineellen Guest

    Why the G5? what about it that you like?

    The G6 is just about to come out, it'll be a 7mp camera. Maybe you'd want to
    wait for that to go on sale, which will be quite soon, as the prices of the G5
    may drop down.

    Also, you may want to consider the Olympus 5060. It's a better camera than the
    G5, in my opinion, and you can have it for less than £400.

    Sabineellen, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Barry McKean

    Barry McKean Guest

    On 17 Aug 2004 00:54:31 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:

    >Why the G5? what about it that you like?

    I like the size of it and the styling. In nearly all respect it is
    smaller than my old Kodak. I also like the lcd display panel on the
    top which is similar to my dads older 35mm SLR. I've spent the last 2
    weeks reading reviews and consumer opinions, as well as looking at
    sample pictures, and the majority seem to think that it's an excellent
    camera.

    >The G6 is just about to come out, it'll be a 7mp camera. Maybe you'd want to
    >wait for that to go on sale, which will be quite soon, as the prices of the G5
    >may drop down.

    Do you have any more info on the G6. I would like to see some
    pictures and maybe read some of the spec on the camera?

    >Also, you may want to consider the Olympus 5060. It's a better camera than the
    >G5, in my opinion, and you can have it for less than £400.

    Thanks, I'll give it a look and read reviews. Thanks for your help.

    Cheers,

    Barry
    ==========================
    Remove SPAM TRAP to reply
    ==========================

    Barry McKean, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Barry McKean

    Mark B. Guest

    "Barry McKean" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On 17 Aug 2004 00:54:31 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:
    >

    > >Why the G5? what about it that you like?

    > I like the size of it and the styling. In nearly all respect it is
    > smaller than my old Kodak. I also like the lcd display panel on the
    > top which is similar to my dads older 35mm SLR. I've spent the last 2
    > weeks reading reviews and consumer opinions, as well as looking at
    > sample pictures, and the majority seem to think that it's an excellent
    > camera.
    >
    > >The G6 is just about to come out, it'll be a 7mp camera. Maybe you'd want

    > >wait for that to go on sale, which will be quite soon, as the prices of

    the G5
    > >may drop down.

    > Do you have any more info on the G6. I would like to see some
    > pictures and maybe read some of the spec on the camera?

    There aren't any specs other than the 7.1mp, but here are press release
    pics:

    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_PowerShotG6.html

    I'm sure it has the same 1/1.8" sensor, but not sure about the zoom. I
    would wait for a review to see how noisy all those pixels are on the
    smallish sensor.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 18, 2004
  5. Barry McKean

    Barry McKean Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:52:00 -0400, "Mark B."
    <> wrote:

    >"Barry McKean" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On 17 Aug 2004 00:54:31 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:
    >>

    >> >Why the G5? what about it that you like?

    >> I like the size of it and the styling. In nearly all respect it is
    >> smaller than my old Kodak. I also like the lcd display panel on the
    >> top which is similar to my dads older 35mm SLR. I've spent the last 2
    >> weeks reading reviews and consumer opinions, as well as looking at
    >> sample pictures, and the majority seem to think that it's an excellent
    >> camera.
    >>
    >> >The G6 is just about to come out, it'll be a 7mp camera. Maybe you'd want

    >> >wait for that to go on sale, which will be quite soon, as the prices of

    >the G5
    >> >may drop down.

    >> Do you have any more info on the G6. I would like to see some
    >> pictures and maybe read some of the spec on the camera?
    >>

    >There aren't any specs other than the 7.1mp, but here are press release
    >pics:
    >
    >http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_PowerShotG6.html
    >
    >I'm sure it has the same 1/1.8" sensor, but not sure about the zoom. I
    >would wait for a review to see how noisy all those pixels are on the
    >smallish sensor.
    >
    >Mark

    Thanks Mark. I just wonder how much it will cost. Hope it's around
    the same price as the G5. If it's closer to the Pro 1 price, then I
    might give it a miss. I'll wait it out a bit longer to see.

    Cheers,

    Barry
    ==========================
    Remove SPAM TRAP to reply
    ==========================

    Barry McKean, Aug 18, 2004
  6. Barry McKean

    Mark B. Guest

    "Barry McKean" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Thanks Mark. I just wonder how much it will cost. Hope it's around
    > the same price as the G5. If it's closer to the Pro 1 price, then I
    > might give it a miss. I'll wait it out a bit longer to see.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Barry

    Yeah, I'm hoping it'll be priced closer to the G5 and have at least an
    equivalent zoom range. I desperately want to upgrade my G1, but I don't
    want to pay for a Pro1 right now.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 19, 2004