Is Ubuntu better than Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jake Malone - MVP/MUT, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Dell charges more for Ubuntu than Vista
    Open sorcery

    By INQUIRER Newsdesk: Wednesday, 20 February 2008, 1:09 PM

    DELL HAPPILY ANNOUNCED a new Ubuntu-powered system a couple of days ago.

    The penguin posse was delighted, of course, until it found that the
    once-direct only seller seems to be charging more for machines sporting
    the open source OS than for those sporting Vista.

    As far as we can tell, on Dell's cumbersome UK website the price of the
    cheapest Inspiron 1525 with Vista home premium is £359.

    The same specification machine with Ubuntu is £379.

    There is a cheaper version of the Ubuntu system but it has a lower
    specification.

    Here are some URLs for you to fiddle with:

    Ubuntu

    Vista

    No wonder Dell loves Ubuntu. µ
    Jake Malone - MVP/MUT, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Jake Malone - MVP/MUT

    KevinD Guest

    I run Ubuntu on an old PC I have at home because I lost the Windows install
    CD and wanted to use it for back up. My answer to your question is HEL* NO!

    Ubuntu is fun to play with if you are a techno geek and there are some
    applications written for it that work just fine, but most of the stuff
    reminds me of Windows 95 or DOS. If you are just going to use it for a Web
    Browser / Email / or Word Processor (Open Office is good) things will work
    just fine.

    However if you want to watch DVD's, play music, Sync with mobile devices,
    network with your home Network, edit photos......then things get much more
    complicated. You can dig up Applications for many of these things, but for
    me none of them appear to be as polished or stable as what you get with
    Vista. AND one thing that I find really irritating is how often you end up
    working in "terminal" mode trying to write some cryptic code at the command
    line to make changes to the system or install software. I haven't opened a
    DOS prompt on my PC for at least a dozen years and I can barely remember how
    any of that worked.

    Get your Dell PC with Vista Loaded and then install Ubuntu under Virtual
    machine......ITS FREE so why not. Play with it for awhile and if you really
    like it wipe our your Vista image and go Ubuntu all the way. You have
    nothing to loose that way.

    KevinD, Feb 22, 2008

  3. On 2008-02-22, KevinD <> wrote:

    > I run Ubuntu on an old PC I have at home because I lost the Windows install
    > CD and wanted to use it for back up. My answer to your question is HEL* NO!
    >
    > Ubuntu is fun to play with if you are a techno geek and there are some
    > applications written for it that work just fine, but most of the stuff
    > reminds me of Windows 95 or DOS. If you are just going to use it for a Web
    > Browser / Email / or Word Processor (Open Office is good) things will work
    > just fine.
    >
    > However if you want to watch DVD's, play music, Sync with mobile devices,
    > network with your home Network, edit photos......then things get much more
    > complicated. You can dig up Applications for many of these things, but for
    > me none of them appear to be as polished or stable as what you get with
    > Vista. AND one thing that I find really irritating is how often you end up
    > working in "terminal" mode trying to write some cryptic code at the command
    > line to make changes to the system or install software. I haven't opened a
    > DOS prompt on my PC for at least a dozen years and I can barely remember how
    > any of that worked.

    I have the impression you are comparing Vista to a 5 year old Ubuntu.
    Surely my SuSE 10.3 Linux does all these things without any terminal
    interaction and with quite nicely looking and friendly applications
    (even the Gimp is getting less geeky). Gaming is the weakest point of
    Linux.

    > Get your Dell PC with Vista Loaded and then install Ubuntu under Virtual
    > machine......ITS FREE so why not. Play with it for awhile and if you really
    > like it wipe our your Vista image and go Ubuntu all the way. You have
    > nothing to loose that way.

    One of the nice things about Linux is that its performance is generally
    a lot smoother, especially under some load. Running it under a virtual
    machine looses that. If you want to play, install as dual boot machine.

    Cheers --- Jan
    Jan Wielemaker, Feb 23, 2008
  4. I have always preferred Suse 10.x too.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Ditto - but Gentoo is awesome too!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 24, 2008