    interested in a helpdesk or desktop support role. Has anyone who have
    completed the MCDST been able to get job with this qualification and without
    1 years experience?
    drivinginstructor, Aug 1, 2008

  2. drivinginstructor

    Yom_chi86 Guest

    Hello there, my personal experience is that qualifications arn't everything.
    Yes they are good to have to proove you know what you're talking about. I've
    been in the 2nd line industry for 2 years now and the IT industry for 5
    years, straight out of school. You're bet source of knowledge is google as
    companys look for different things. Friends of mine have been refused jobs
    because they have experience but no qualifications, then on the flip side
    others have come out of uni with a whole host of qualifications and no
    experience and cant get a job even in 1st line! I hope this helps and casts a
    bit more of an optomistic light on things. I've done the MCDST course, it is
    good especially for 1st line support and the best bit is, if you have used a
    MS XP machine before you're half way there! Good luck!
    Yom_Chi 86

    Yom_chi86, Aug 7, 2008

  3. drivinginstructor

    Brandon B. Guest

    Yes. In a big market it is worth it.

    I went from being the mail courier making 28K/yr, working part-time Help
    Desk, to a full-time Help Desk at 36K/yr once I got my MCDST.

    A year later, I got my MCSA/MCITP and make 45K/yr.

    Now that I have my MCSE, I am taking interviews for 50-60K Lead Desktop or
    Junior Administrator spots - I have been given many server level projects
    due to the certifications. I will also have my CCNA withinin 6 months.

    KNOW YOUR MATERIAL and develop people skills. Don't waste time playing
    between calls - study and research instead.

    Brandon
    MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCDST

    Brandon B., Aug 16, 2008
  4. drivinginstructor

    Elsie Guest

    Hi, I've booked myself to take 70-272 on the 26th, and it will be my first
    Microsoft exam.

    I am also trying to open a door for myself into the ICT industry - and I
    thought this was the ideal exam for obtaining an MCP - I also would like to
    formalize my modest experience during years of dabbling with various versions
    of MS-Windows (from version 3.0 to WindowsXP Professional) and MS-Office
    suites.

    However, it is very hard to get a job in ICT nowadays, even for qualified
    people with many years of experience... (I'm writing from the UK) so the
    purpose of these exams may simply only be a means for getting shortlisted for
    an interview... this is why I'm doing the MCP, as well as a Foundation Degree
    in ICT through the Open University here in the UK - which is distance
    learning I do during my spare time.

    I'm on very low income these days because of having suffered the indignity
    of two redundancies (because of closures to adult community ICT courses
    during the past six years), so my professional qualifications are not helping
    me from being an economically vulnerable worker.

    I am the typical not-young, not-new-talent, not-exceptionally-talented, and
    yet an extremely hard-working person with a natural passion for ICT (without
    the time to start again from scratch for the third time in my working life).

    I plod on in the knowledge that for me it is always going to be an uphill
    struggle to get an employer to notice my modest talent.

    So, my answer is ... if you are lucky, yes, you will get a job. But it is a
    lot of hard work to convince an employer that they should take a chance on
    you. The MCDST might just be one of many qualifications that might give you
    an interview. The job market is a virtual and exclusive one.

    Elsie, Aug 17, 2008
  5. drivinginstructor

    Mark C Guest

    I would say yes, it's definatley worth doing

    I recently passed my MCDST with no prior paid experience in computing.
    Unfortunatley there are far too many employers, and let's face it,
    recruitment companies that don't know anything about computer other than
    that it runs on windows. Anything else they generally leave up to the IT
    dept, and it isnt them usually recruiting, more usually the HR dept, who
    know nothing.

    Having the Microsoft certification can be instantly recognised by employers
    in most circumstances, and thanks to that, I managed to get through the
    frankly idiotic recruitment companies and have now been recruited into my
    First IT role. Not even a complete basic role, but quite a good one, all
    owing to the skills I proved with the MCDST and their entry exam for the
    employment.

    It's definatley worth doing, even if you have experience, It shows
    competancy, and skill, and the willingness to develop, which always goes
    down well with employers, especially if it's completley self taught.

    Mark C, Nov 3, 2008
  6. drivinginstructor

    T Guest

    I would like to second that. The MCDST enabled me to start my career in IT.

    >>> 1 years experience?

    T, Nov 16, 2008