is this the future? is telecom scared? and is the internet goingto choke?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, May 16, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Nova, May 16, 2006

  2. Nova

    Vista Guest

    Re: is this the future? is telecom scared? and is the internet going to choke?

    They traffic shape in the UK too so it isn't just confined to here.

    Vista, May 16, 2006

  3. Nova

    JohnO Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > SkypeOut Now Totally Free in US and Canada
    > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2346
    >
    > Apparently some ISP's have started blocking skype because it is cutting
    > into their own revenue and voip products..(here in nz its probably just
    > "shaped" hehe)
    >

    > Also...
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060514/ap_on_hi_te/net_neutrality

    Hmm, couple of questions:

    1) They claim totally free, but you need a SkypeOut account which
    requires a 10 euro up front purchase.

    2) They say the caller and callee have to be in the US or Canada, How
    can they accurately determine if the caller is in the US or Canada?
    I.P. number?
    JohnO, May 16, 2006
  4. Nova

    XPD Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > They traffic shape in the UK too so it isn't just confined to here.

    Friend of mine has been using Skype from Auckland to call PC based friends
    all over Europe without any hassles.....so far.... dont know if hes tried
    PC-L/line tho...
    XPD, May 16, 2006
  5. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > They traffic shape in the UK too so it isn't just confined to here.

    I am well aware of that, they shape almost everywhere.
    There is general shaping to make sure something like http gets through.

    That is different to deliberately throttling one particular service
    though such as skype which was what I was getting at.
    Nova, May 16, 2006
  6. Nova

    thingy Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >>SkypeOut Now Totally Free in US and Canada
    >>http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2346
    >>
    >>Apparently some ISP's have started blocking skype because it is cutting
    >>into their own revenue and voip products..(here in nz its probably just
    >>"shaped" hehe)
    >>

    >>Also...
    >>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060514/ap_on_hi_te/net_neutrality

    > Hmm, couple of questions:
    >
    > 1) They claim totally free, but you need a SkypeOut account which
    > requires a 10 euro up front purchase.
    >
    > 2) They say the caller and callee have to be in the US or Canada, How
    > can they accurately determine if the caller is in the US or Canada?
    > I.P. number?

    Im taking a guess that by this they mean calls to a land line ie skype
    user to skype user anywhere in the world is free.

    off the web site.

    "Skype is a little program for making free calls over the internet to
    anyone else who also has Skype. It’s free and easy to download and use,
    and works with most computers."

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 16, 2006
  7. Nova

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > SkypeOut Now Totally Free in US and Canada
    > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2346
    >
    > Apparently some ISP's have started blocking skype because it is cutting
    > into their own revenue and voip products..(here in nz its probably just
    > "shaped" hehe)
    >
    > Also...
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060514/ap_on_hi_te/net_neutrality

    In the US, the battle is about "net neutrality".....in other words, the
    telcos want the power to mess with Internet traffic for their fun and
    profit.....and they aren't much interested in what the customer is actually
    trying to do with TCP/IP and the connectivity they thought they had paid
    for.
    s.te.v.e., May 16, 2006
  8. Nova

    Nova Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >> Nova wrote:
    >>
    >>> SkypeOut Now Totally Free in US and Canada
    >>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2346
    >>>
    >>> Apparently some ISP's have started blocking skype because it is cutting
    >>> into their own revenue and voip products..(here in nz its probably just
    >>> "shaped" hehe)
    >>>

    >>> Also...
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060514/ap_on_hi_te/net_neutrality

    >> Hmm, couple of questions:
    >>
    >> 1) They claim totally free, but you need a SkypeOut account which
    >> requires a 10 euro up front purchase.
    >>
    >> 2) They say the caller and callee have to be in the US or Canada, How
    >> can they accurately determine if the caller is in the US or Canada?
    >> I.P. number?
    >>

    > Im taking a guess that by this they mean calls to a land line ie skype
    > user to skype user anywhere in the world is free.
    >
    > off the web site.
    >
    > "Skype is a little program for making free calls over the internet to
    > anyone else who also has Skype. It’s free and easy to download and use,
    > and works with most computers."
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    That has always been free, skype to skype, now it's free to normal
    phones in the US which is a pretty big step...
    Nova, May 16, 2006
  9. Nova

    Nova Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >> SkypeOut Now Totally Free in US and Canada
    >> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2346
    >>
    >> Apparently some ISP's have started blocking skype because it is cutting
    >> into their own revenue and voip products..(here in nz its probably just
    >> "shaped" hehe)
    >>

    >> Also...
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060514/ap_on_hi_te/net_neutrality

    > Hmm, couple of questions:
    >
    > 1) They claim totally free, but you need a SkypeOut account which
    > requires a 10 euro up front purchase.

    Do you? or rather do they?, that I suppose is probably the catch, but
    perhaps they have allowed people in the US to make calls to US numbers
    without having credit on skypeout.

    > 2) They say the caller and callee have to be in the US or Canada, How
    > can they accurately determine if the caller is in the US or Canada?
    > I.P. number?

    probably.
    Nova, May 16, 2006
  10. Nova

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 23:06:33 +1200, Nova wrote:

    > JohnO wrote:
    >> Nova wrote:

    >> 2) They say the caller and callee have to be in the US or Canada, How
    >> can they accurately determine if the caller is in the US or Canada?
    >> I.P. number?
    >>

    > probably.

    Yes. Skypeout is currently free for US to US customers, except they missed
    out a few subnets :)

    Steve
    Steve, May 16, 2006
  11. Nova

    thingy Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> JohnO wrote:

    >>> Hmm, couple of questions:
    >>>
    >>> 1) They claim totally free, but you need a SkypeOut account which
    >>> requires a 10 euro up front purchase.
    >>>
    >>> 2) They say the caller and callee have to be in the US or Canada, How
    >>> can they accurately determine if the caller is in the US or Canada?
    >>> I.P. number?
    >>>

    >> Im taking a guess that by this they mean calls to a land line ie skype
    >> user to skype user anywhere in the world is free.
    >>
    >> off the web site.
    >>
    >> "Skype is a little program for making free calls over the internet to
    >> anyone else who also has Skype. It’s free and easy to download and
    >> use, and works with most computers."
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > That has always been free, skype to skype, now it's free to normal
    > phones in the US which is a pretty big step...

    Nothing like driving market share.....

    Just proves that it is all data but Telcos try and convince us that
    voice is more valuable and hence worth paying hundrds of times the rate
    of data for.....then of course turn it into data themselves....biggest
    con out there.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 17, 2006