Is this the End to game MODS

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    Tuesday, September 13, 2005
    ESRB Lays Down the Law

    Source: IGN

    In the wake of GTA San Andreas being re-rated to AO following the exposure of
    content not intended to be accessible, the Entertainment Software Rating Board
    (ESRB) has sent out an email to all major publishers that they must perform
    internal audits of their products to determine if their titles contain similar
    elements, dating back to September 1, 2004. Disclosure of hidden content is
    regular practice, if it is deemed to be eventually accessible by the user
    through conventional means (the controversial content in GTA:SA was exposed
    through an unauthorized, third-party hack). A complicating factor is that many
    games have content cut out but not removed from the programming code, for one
    reason or another. Additionally, the ESRB mandates that this industry-wide,
    internal audit must be finished by January 6th, 2006.

    According to industry publication Gamasutra, the email further states: ""If
    you fail to notify us of previously undisclosed, non-playable, pertinent
    content by January 9, and such content becomes playable through a subsequent
    authorized or unauthorized release of code to unlock it, rendering the
    original rating assignment inaccurate, punitive in addition to corrective
    actions may result."

    Lastly, the ESRB also addresses third-party modifications (of which
    Counter-Strike, BF1942: Desert Combat, and GTA: Multi-Theft Auto are a few
    examples), with specific attention to violent and/or sexual content. The email
    continues, "ESRB remains concerned about third party modifications that
    undermine the accuracy of the original rating, and we are exploring ways to
    maintain the credibility of the rating system with consumers in light of
    modifications of this nature."

    XP, Sep 14, 2005

  2. XP wrote:
    > According to industry publication Gamasutra, the email further states: ""If
    > you fail to notify us of previously undisclosed, non-playable, pertinent
    > content by January 9, and such content becomes playable through a subsequent
    > authorized or unauthorized release of code to unlock it, rendering the
    > original rating assignment inaccurate, punitive in addition to corrective
    > actions may result."

    Well it looks like America has almost completed the transition to police
    state.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2005