    newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    a general photography newsgroup?

    Paul Ciszek, Dec 1, 2012

  2. Paul Ciszek

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:41:16 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2012-12-01 08:38:33 -0800, (Paul Ciszek) said:
    :
    : > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    : > digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
    : > newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    : > to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    : > a general photography newsgroup?
    :
    :
    : You will find most of the usual suspects in one, or all of the four
    : most active photo groups:
    : alt.photography
    : rec.photo.digital
    : rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    : rec.photo.equipment.35mm
    :
    : ...but I believe that the majority will just check rec.photo.digital.
    :
    : Some are more appropriate for particular questions and subjects than
    : others, and some questions and subjects are appropriate for more than
    : one group. In that case discrete cross posting would be preferred to
    : multi-posting.

    I think most of us read alt.photography, but some news sites have been known
    not to carry the "alt" groups.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 1, 2012

  3. Paul Ciszek

    otter Guest

    On Dec 3, 8:29 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    > > digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc.  I chose this
    > > newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    > > to be dead.  Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    > > a general photography newsgroup?

    > usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    >
    > This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    > and the fish are gathering here.
    >
    >   BugBear

    Most people have no idea usenet even exists.
    otter, Dec 3, 2012
  4. Paul Ciszek

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 3, 8:29 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >> > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    >> > digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc.  I chose this
    >> > newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    >> > to be dead.  Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    >> > a general photography newsgroup?

    >> usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    >>
    >> This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    >> and the fish are gathering here.
    >>
    >>   BugBear

    >Most people have no idea usenet even exists.

    Fer sure. Sometimes, when talking about a subject recently covered in
    one of the newsgroups I read, I find it difficult to explain the
    listener where the original dialog took place. It is especially
    difficult when I'm referring to something that someone from the UK or
    Australia (two places heavily represented in one of the groups I read)
    brought up.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 3, 2012
  5. otter <> wrote:

    >On Dec 3, 8:29 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >> > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    >> > digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc.  I chose this
    >> > newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    >> > to be dead.  Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    >> > a general photography newsgroup?

    >> usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    >>
    >> This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    >> and the fish are gathering here.
    >>
    >>   BugBear

    >Most people have no idea usenet even exists.

    + Most of those who do know think it's called "Google Groups".
    Anthony Polson, Dec 3, 2012
  6. Paul Ciszek

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > Paul Ciszek wrote:
    : > > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    : > > digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc.  I chose this
    : > > newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    : > > to be dead.  Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    : > > a general photography newsgroup?
    : >
    : > usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    : >
    : > This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    : > and the fish are gathering here.
    : >
    : >   BugBear
    :
    : Most people have no idea usenet even exists.

    That's always been the case. Even when Usenet was the only game in town,
    relatively few people, even within the computer industry, had heard of it. In
    a way it's too bad that it isn't better known. While the Web is ubiquitous and
    HTTP is more efficient than NNTP in the resources that matter today, a good
    newsreader is easier to use for the things it does well than any of the
    Web-based conversational mechanisms that have been developed so far. If you
    don't believe it, try reading this newsgroup via "Google Groups".

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 3, 2012
  7. Paul Ciszek

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:08:28 +0100, Alfred Molon <>
    wrote:
    : In article <>, bugbear
    : says...
    :
    : > usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    : >
    : > This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    : > and the fish are gathering here.
    :
    : The problems started when some ISPs stopped offering usenet access.
    : Also, it appears that Google does not like usenet, probably because
    : it is not under their control.

    ISP's don't like to operate Usenet servers because they eat up a lot of
    storage space. The NNTP protocol was developed in and for a time when long
    distance bandwidth was scarce and expensive. Now the bandwidth costs are
    dwarfed by the cost of the necessary disk drives.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 3, 2012
  8. Paul Ciszek

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > ISP's don't like to operate Usenet servers because they eat up a lot of
    > storage space. The NNTP protocol was developed in and for a time when long
    > distance bandwidth was scarce and expensive. Now the bandwidth costs are
    > dwarfed by the cost of the necessary disk drives.

    only if they include the binary groups.

    the text groups don't take up much space.
    nospam, Dec 3, 2012
  9. Paul Ciszek

    otter Guest

    On Dec 3, 3:38 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter <>
    > wrote:
    > : On Dec 3, 8:29 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > : > Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > : > > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    > : > > digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
    > : > > newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    > : > > to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    > : > > a general photography newsgroup?
    > : >
    > : > usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    > : >
    > : > This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    > : > and the fish are gathering here.
    > : >
    > : > BugBear
    > :
    > : Most people have no idea usenet even exists.
    >
    > That's always been the case. Even when Usenet was the only game in town,
    > relatively few people, even within the computer industry, had heard of it.. In
    > a way it's too bad that it isn't better known. While the Web is ubiquitous and
    > HTTP is more efficient than NNTP in the resources that matter today, a good
    > newsreader is easier to use for the things it does well than any of the
    > Web-based conversational mechanisms that have been developed so far. If you
    > don't believe it, try reading this newsgroup via "Google Groups".

    I'll have to try that sometime :).

    The new google interface sucks, but the old one is usable, and much
    more convenient for me than a newsreader. And I speak as someone who
    used to use newsreaders.
    otter, Dec 4, 2012
  10. On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, Robert Coe
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> ISP's don't like to operate Usenet servers because they eat up a lot of
    >> storage space. The NNTP protocol was developed in and for a time when long
    >> distance bandwidth was scarce and expensive. Now the bandwidth costs are
    >> dwarfed by the cost of the necessary disk drives.

    > only if they include the binary groups.
    >
    > the text groups don't take up much space.

    Especially as traffic dwindles.

    The problem is, in the old days most people online new about Usenet, and
    many of them did use it to some extent. No so much of the population is
    online, and came later, that a relative handful know about usenet. The
    people who came later came for other reasons, and had other things to use.

    And there are now more ISPs. So if at ISP only a handful of users are
    using Usenet, it does start to be something to cut loose. 20 years ago,
    there was one or two local ISPs here, and all the users would be demanding
    Usenet, now those users (even if they stuck with Usenet, and I'm not sure
    that's the case) are spread over a whole bunch of ISPs, so it's easy to
    say Usenet costs too much.

    Another problem is that even 15 years ago, the systema administrator at an
    ISP likely did use Usenet, and so was familiar with it all. We'd bump into
    someof the local sysadmins in the local newsgroup. Now, a lot of them are
    likely younger and have no experience, so they can't argue with the bosses
    about Usenet or the cost, they know nothing of it.

    Michael
    Michael Black, Dec 4, 2012
  11. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/2/2012 3:09 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > (Paul Ciszek) writes:
    >
    >> Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    >> digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
    >> newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    >> to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    >> a general photography newsgroup?

    > It looks to me like it is, yes.

    There is also alt.photography.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 5, 2012
  12. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter
    > <> wrote:

    >>> usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    >>>
    >>> This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    >>> and the fish are gathering here.
    >>>
    >>> BugBear

    >> Most people have no idea usenet even exists.

    > Fer sure. Sometimes, when talking about a subject recently covered in
    > one of the newsgroups I read, I find it difficult to explain the
    > listener where the original dialog took place. It is especially
    > difficult when I'm referring to something that someone from the UK or
    > Australia (two places heavily represented in one of the groups I read)
    > brought up.

    I agree. I am looking for a reader for my Win8 machine, without much
    success. I have tried Mozilla Thunderbird, but I can't get it to use my
    login credentials to access my server. Or, [possibly I am missing a
    step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 5, 2012
  13. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/4/2012 10:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-04 19:40:27 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> Fer sure. Sometimes, when talking about a subject recently covered in
    >>> one of the newsgroups I read, I find it difficult to explain the
    >>> listener where the original dialog took place. It is especially
    >>> difficult when I'm referring to something that someone from the UK or
    >>> Australia (two places heavily represented in one of the groups I read)
    >>> brought up.
    >>>

    >> I agree. I am looking for a reader for my Win8 machine, without much
    >> success. I have tried Mozilla Thunderbird, but I can't get it to use
    >> my login credentials to access my server. Or, [possibly I am missing a
    >> step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

    > Thunderbird is usually pretty simple to set up. Since you are using TB
    > with your WinNT setup all you should need is your news server address,
    > usually "news.xxx.com", your user name and your password.

    It is easy, and was so on this machine. I originally had it working
    fine. I had an HD crash and had to do a format & install.I have not been
    able to find a place to enter my username and password,

    > Another dedicated Win Usenet client which others seem to be happy with
    > is Forte Agent (check with Tony Cooper as that is what he uses).
    > They have a 30 day trial.
    > < http://www.forteinc.com/agent/ >

    I will give Forte a whirl.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 5, 2012
  14. PeterN <> wrote:

    > step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

    Considering OE was only ever bearable as a newsREADER (i.e. when
    one never posted and thus didn't inflict it's pox on others),
    I am unable to shed even a false tear over it's passing.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 6, 2012
  15. Paul Ciszek

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > : > Paul Ciszek wrote:
    : > : > > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific
    : > : > > to digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose
    : > : > > this newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked
    : > : > > seemed to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we
    : > : > > have to a general photography newsgroup?
    : > : >
    : > : > usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    : > : >
    : > : > This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    : > : > and the fish are gathering here.
    : > : >
    : > : > BugBear
    : > :
[...]

    I think the new Google interface is slightly better than the old one, but not
    good enough.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 7, 2012
  16. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/5/2012 12:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-05 09:15:11 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 12/4/2012 10:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Thunderbird is usually pretty simple to set up. Since you are using TB
    >>> with your WinNT setup all you should need is your news server address,
    >>> usually "news.xxx.com", your user name and your password.

    >> It is easy, and was so on this machine. I originally had it working
    >> fine. I had an HD crash and had to do a format & install.I have not
    >> been able to find a place to enter my username and password,

    > Open Thunderbird. (Perhaps reinstall TB.)
    >
    > From menu select "tools"--->"Account settings"
    > On the bottom left you will see "Account Actions" click on that and
    > select "Add other account".
    > The "Account Wizard" window will open. Select "Newsgroup account" follow
    > the set up procedure.

    thanks, I tried that. Still did not get the screen to enter the
    password. :-(

    I will probably install Win7, instead of Win8. Win 8 is overprotecting
    me. It is a bear to install PS plugins.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 8, 2012
  17. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/8/2012 11:19 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-08 08:01:05 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 12/5/2012 12:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Open Thunderbird. (Perhaps reinstall TB.)
    >>>
    >>> From menu select "tools"--->"Account settings"
    >>> On the bottom left you will see "Account Actions" click on that and
    >>> select "Add other account".
    >>> The "Account Wizard" window will open. Select "Newsgroup account" follow
    >>> the set up procedure.
    >>>

    >> thanks, I tried that. Still did not get the screen to enter the
    >> password. :-(
    >>
    >> I will probably install Win7, instead of Win8. Win 8 is overprotecting
    >> me. It is a bear to install PS plugins.

    > Just get yourself a new iMac.

    I thought about that, for about 2 seconds. I simply have to get around
    over protection. I also have the option of converting to Win7.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 8, 2012
  18. Paul Ciszek

    David Taylor Guest

    On 08/12/2012 19:51, PeterN wrote:
    []
    > I thought about that, for about 2 seconds. I simply have to get around
    > over protection. I also have the option of converting to Win7.

    I've used both Win-7 and Win-8, and have yet to see significant
    over-protection in Win-8. What is it which bothers you?

    (I do use a start menu replacement, ClassicShell, though)
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Dec 9, 2012
  19. Paul Ciszek

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 22:40:27 -0500, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    : > On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter
    : >
    : >>> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    : >>>> Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    : >>>> digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
    : >>>> newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    : >>>> to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    : >>>> a general photography newsgroup?
    : >>>
    : >>> usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
    : >>>
    : >>> This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
    : >>> and the fish are gathering here.
    : >>>
    : >>> BugBear
    : >>
    : >> Most people have no idea usenet even exists.
    : >
    : > Fer sure. Sometimes, when talking about a subject recently covered in
    : > one of the newsgroups I read, I find it difficult to explain the
    : > listener where the original dialog took place. It is especially
    : > difficult when I'm referring to something that someone from the UK or
    : > Australia (two places heavily represented in one of the groups I read)
    : > brought up.
    : >
    :
    : I agree. I am looking for a reader for my Win8 machine, without much
    : success. I have tried Mozilla Thunderbird, but I can't get it to use my
    : login credentials to access my server. Or, [possibly I am missing a
    : step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

    Did it ever actually weork? I tried it once or twice back in the day, but
    never got anywhere.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 14, 2012
  20. Paul Ciszek

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:59:23 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2012-12-04 19:40:27 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    :
    : > On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    : >> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter
    : >>
    : >>>> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    : >>>>> Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
    : >>>>> digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
    : >>>>> newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
    : >>>>> to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
    : >>>>> a general photography newsgroup?
    : >>>>
[...]

    Me too. IIRC (it's been a lonnng time) I was a beta tester of Free Agent. I'm
    at version 6, which still has some bizarre bugs (notably the fact that it
    handles too few message IDs, so old messages sometimes come back as new), but
    is well implemented on the whole. I'm still getting around to ordering up
    version 7.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 14, 2012