Is this really VIDCAP32 or is it a virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Vance Roos, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Vance Roos

    Vance Roos Guest

    I have had a lot of trouble with a file called Vidcap32 which tries
    repeatedly to connect to the Net after I boot my PC.

    I understand that Vidcap is a utility supplied by Microsoft.

    So this makes me think that maybe I have got some sort of virus or
    trojan which is pretending to be Vidcap.

    I don't know the size and functionality of real Microsoft Vidcap
    program so I have posted the Vidcap I have got into a zip file at:

    http://freespace.virgin.net/web.download/vidcap32.zip

    Could someone who knows the real Vidcap file please have a look at my
    Vidcap and tell me if mine is a fake or, even worse, a virus.

    I don't know exactly why but I think I cam across something on the
    Net which worked like my Vidcap and which might possibly be something
    called "BACKDOOR.IRC.BOT".

    Thanks for any help.

    Vance Roos, Dec 15, 2003

  2. What you posted is NOT a virus infected file. The HLP and EXE files are both clean.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Seems to work OK with my ATI card.
    Albeit, the software from ATI is much better.

    Dave

    | What you posted is NOT a virus infected file. The HLP and EXE files are both clean.
    |
    | Dave
    |

    | "Vance Roos" <> wrote in message news:9452A962747BB471AE@130.133.1.4...
    | | I have had a lot of trouble with a file called Vidcap32 which tries
    | | repeatedly to connect to the Net after I boot my PC.
    | |
    | | I understand that Vidcap is a utility supplied by Microsoft.
    | |
    | | So this makes me think that maybe I have got some sort of virus or
    | | trojan which is pretending to be Vidcap.
    | |
    | | I don't know the size and functionality of real Microsoft Vidcap
    | | program so I have posted the Vidcap I have got into a zip file at:
    | |
    | | http://freespace.virgin.net/web.download/vidcap32.zip
    | |
    | | Could someone who knows the real Vidcap file please have a look at my
    | | Vidcap and tell me if mine is a fake or, even worse, a virus.
    | |
    | | I don't know exactly why but I think I cam across something on the
    | | Net which worked like my Vidcap and which might possibly be something
    | | called "BACKDOOR.IRC.BOT".
    | |

    David H. Lipman, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Vance Roos

    Buz [MSFT] Guest

    If this is the MS version it sure is old software:

    120750 Setting Up VIDCAP32.EXE and Video Spigot
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=120750

    Buz Brodin
    MCSE NT4 / Win2K
    Microsoft Enterprise Domain Support

    newsgroup purposes only.

    Buz [MSFT], Dec 15, 2003
  5. It is not part of a Windows XP installation!

    Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\), Dec 15, 2003
  6. Vance Roos

    kurt wismer Guest

    Vance Roos wrote:
    [snip]
    > I don't know the size and functionality of real Microsoft Vidcap
    > program so I have posted the Vidcap I have got into a zip file at:

    [snip url]

    > Could someone who knows the real Vidcap file please have a look at my
    > Vidcap and tell me if mine is a fake or, even worse, a virus.

    gosh, since you were so nice as to make a potentially infected file
    available to the entire world, why not?

    sarcasm aside, if you suspect a file is infected, scan it... if you
    suspect it's got something your scanner can't detect, try a different
    scanner or send a copy to an *anti-virus developer* (you know, like
    symantec, or mcafee, or any number of any other companies whose job it
    is to deal with such things in a professional and responsible manner)
    for analysis...

    and please, in future, don't give the entire world access to your
    suspect files...

    --
    "hungry people don't stay hungry for long
    they get hope from fire and smoke as the weak grow strong

    kurt wismer, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Vance Roos

    Martin C.E. Guest

    kurt wismer <> wrote:

    > Vance Roos wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> I don't know the size and functionality of real Microsoft
    >> Vidcap program so I have posted the Vidcap I have got into a
    >> zip file at:
    >>

    > [snip url]
    >>
    >> Could someone who knows the real Vidcap file please have a look
    >> at my Vidcap and tell me if mine is a fake or, even worse, a
    >> virus.

    > gosh, since you were so nice as to make a potentially infected
    > file available to the entire world, why not?
    >
    > sarcasm aside, if you suspect a file is infected, scan it... if
    > you suspect it's got something your scanner can't detect, try a
    > different scanner or send a copy to an *anti-virus developer*
    > (you know, like symantec, or mcafee, or any number of any other
    > companies whose job it is to deal with such things in a
    > professional and responsible manner) for analysis...
    >
    > and please, in future, don't give the entire world access to
    > your suspect files...

    Kurt, I know what you mean but my file was zipped and I thinkI gave
    enough warnings in my posting about my suspicions.

    The real issue with this file is the way it tries massively to get
    through my firewall. My firewall is set to deny access to such
    things. But the attempts are so numerous that my machine slows to a
    nearly unuseable crawl!

    Is that a virus/trojan? I don't know. That is why I asked.

    Also please note that the help text refers to a control screen for
    Vidcap but, strangely, there is no such thing when I run my
    vidcap32.exe.

    Martin C.E., Dec 16, 2003
  8. Vance Roos

    kurt wismer Guest

    Martin C.E. wrote:
    > kurt wismer <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >>and please, in future, don't give the entire world access to
    >>your suspect files...
    >>

    > Kurt, I know what you mean but my file was zipped and I thinkI gave
    > enough warnings in my posting about my suspicions.

    then you don't know what i mean... warnings cover the possibility of
    accidents but not malice...

    > The real issue with this file is the way it tries massively to get
    > through my firewall. My firewall is set to deny access to such
    > things. But the attempts are so numerous that my machine slows to a
    > nearly unuseable crawl!
    >
    > Is that a virus/trojan? I don't know. That is why I asked.

    and it's still best to ask a) virus/trojan scanners or b)
    anti-virus/anti-trojan developers... such things can't generally be
    diagnosed from symptoms alone and suspicious samples shouldn't go to
    untrusted parties...

    kurt wismer, Dec 17, 2003