    Can I run FF so that I can keep both logged in eg under 2 seperate
    profiles or do I have to set them up under two different user accounts
    on Windows XP?
    dino, Sep 11, 2007

  2. dino

    Andy Luddy Guest

    dino wrote:
    > I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.6
    >
    > I'm a member of a website under 2 different usernames. 1 is a player
    > account the other is an admin account.
    >
    > Can I run FF so that I can keep both logged in eg under 2 seperate
    > profiles or do I have to set them up under two different user accounts
    > on Windows XP?

    A lot of that will depend upon how the website maintains a record of who
    is/is not logged on. It would seem probable that it uses either a
    cookie or a session cookie. If that is the case, I know different
    profiles maintain separate cookie files. Can't say for certain
    regarding session cookies. I believe that the session cookie is still
    stores in your cookie file; it's just that it is deleted when you sign off.

    Trial and error says that you can run the profile manager when you
    already have a Firefox session active, so it doesn't look like you can
    easily be logged into both accounts in two different windows, if that's
    what you were trying to do.
    Andy Luddy, Sep 11, 2007

  3. dino wrote:
    > I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.6
    >
    > I'm a member of a website under 2 different usernames. 1 is a player
    > account the other is an admin account.
    >
    > Can I run FF so that I can keep both logged in eg under 2 seperate
    > profiles or do I have to set them up under two different user accounts
    > on Windows XP?

    you can only have 1 instance of firefox running at a time.
    So, what you want to do is log in with one, then you have to
    log out, close FF and restart with another profile.

    That being said, there is a way to get two instances of FF
    running at the same time. In order to do this, you would
    have to set up something called an environment variables and
    you'd have to know what you're doing.

    Set the EV to MOZ_NO_REMOTE to 1

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 11, 2007
  4. dino

    dino Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > dino wrote:
    >> I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.6
    >>
    >> I'm a member of a website under 2 different usernames. 1 is a player
    >> account the other is an admin account.
    >>
    >> Can I run FF so that I can keep both logged in eg under 2 seperate
    >> profiles or do I have to set them up under two different user accounts
    >> on Windows XP?

    > you can only have 1 instance of firefox running at a time. So, what you
    > want to do is log in with one, then you have to log out, close FF and
    > restart with another profile.
    >
    > That being said, there is a way to get two instances of FF running at
    > the same time. In order to do this, you would have to set up something
    > called an environment variables and "you'd have to know what you're doing".
    >
    > Set the EV to MOZ_NO_REMOTE to 1

    And there lies my problem :)

    Sounds like the easiest thing to do is set up a new user under Windows
    XP for the least used account and see if that works instead. Otherwise
    I'll end up using a different browser for one of the accounts and I
    don't really want to have to do that :(
    dino, Sep 11, 2007
  5. dino

    Crush Evil Guest

    > > Can I run FF so that I can keep both logged in eg under 2 seperate
    > > profiles or do I have to set them up under two different user accounts
    > > on Windows XP?

    maybe

    > you can only have 1 instance of firefox running at a time.

    false. :)

    websearch: MOZ_NO_REMOTE

    > Set the EV to MOZ_NO_REMOTE to 1

    I really should read the entire post before replying. :grin:

    There are several ways of using MOZ_NO_REMOTE in your batch files.
    Its on you to determine which way to set the variable first or after

    websearch: MOZ_NO_REMOTE batch

    eg

    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    start firefox.exe -profile Admin
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0

    websearch: xp batch files
    Crush Evil, Sep 25, 2007
  6. dino

    Crush Evil Guest

    > > Can I run FF so that I can keep both logged in eg under 2 seperate
    > > profiles or do I have to set them up under two different user accounts
    > > on Windows XP?

    maybe

    Crush Evil, Sep 25, 2007
  7. dino