Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rob Davies, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Rob Davies

    Rob Davies Guest

    ....or am I just wasting my time?

    I have (1) an ADSL wireless modem / router (Zyxel) and (2) a Belkin DSL /
    Cable Gateway / Router.
    I'm trying to create a setup where my Desktop and laptop share files and
    internet via wireless. I'd also like to share printers, scanner etc.

    The laptop has built in 802.11b wireless, the desktop has a Belkin PCI
    Wireless card, (both have ethernet cards).

    My Desktop machine is too far from (1) to connect by cable and also this
    unit (1) has only WEP security. My laptop and desktop both have XP Pro SP2
    and I want (if poss) to use better encryption than (1) provides. However,
    getting *any* kind of Network going would be a nice first move!

    I've tried many combinations including switching off the Wireless DHCP and
    NAT features of (1) and connecting it by ethernet cable to (2), then setting
    up from there - I can't see why this shouldn't work, but it doesn't!

    Another idea was to connect the desktop to (2) by cable, after switching
    the Belkin to Wireless Access Point mode, the idea being to use the fact
    that with to NICs, the desktop could be used with two different IP addresses
    to enable me to create an "intranet" using a different range of IP's. That
    didn't work either, though both machines are happily connected to internet
    via (1).

    If I haven't lost everyone yet, does anyone have any ideas on the best
    solution to this?

    I did try to set (2) up in bridging mode but (1) doesn't support this.

    Sure I can connect the 2 machines together by cable but wasn't WiFi supposed
    to be the easy answer to everything?

    TIA

    Rob
    Rob Davies, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Rob Davies

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    You shuould use the Belkin as a Switch with an Access Point.
    May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Rob Davies

    Rob Davies Guest

    Cheers Jack, as a direct result of this article I got it going.
    Thanks a million!

    Rob

    Rob Davies, Dec 16, 2004