    programs and files on the PC. Can I swap out the motherboards without
    reinstalling Windows?

    Thanks in advance

    KissFan, May 7, 2006

  2. KissFan

    Rob Guest

    Yes it is possible, Be sure to purchase a motherboard with the same chipset
    and you should be ok. I have done this numerous times.

    Rob

    Rob, May 7, 2006

  3. KissFan

    Plato Guest

    KissFan wrote:

    > I'm running an Athlon XP 2600 processor and Windows XP as the OS. I want to
    > change the motherboard and still use the same processor. I have many
    > programs and files on the PC. Can I swap out the motherboards without
    > reinstalling Windows?

    If the motherboard is really different ie chipset and such you may have
    to do a repair install.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 7, 2006
  4. KissFan

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:445d510a$0$487$:

    > If the motherboard is really different ie chipset and such you may have
    > to do a repair install.

    An alternative that /may/ work is to get the new board, go to device
    manager and uninstall your old board's drivers (all the motherboard ones,
    ie, AGP bridge, PCI stuff), IDE controllers, etc. Install all the new
    drivers. Shut the machine down, swap boards. This will provide Windows
    with the drivers needed to boot correctly. This isn't failure proof, so be
    prepared to do a repair install.

    Jim Berwick, May 7, 2006
  5. Jim Berwick wrote:
    > Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:445d510a$0$487$:
    >
    >> If the motherboard is really different ie chipset and such you may have
    >> to do a repair install.

    > An alternative that /may/ work is to get the new board, go to device
    > manager and uninstall your old board's drivers (all the motherboard ones,
    > ie, AGP bridge, PCI stuff), IDE controllers, etc. Install all the new
    > drivers. Shut the machine down, swap boards. This will provide Windows
    > with the drivers needed to boot correctly. This isn't failure proof, so be
    > prepared to do a repair install.

    Make a copy of wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files that are in the system32
    folder. make your hardware changes, if windows complains and wants to
    reactivate then boot to safemode and paste the above files into system32
    overwriting whats there.

    Ian Ozenthroat, May 7, 2006
  6. KissFan

    bmoag Guest

    You will have to reactivate if the chipset and/or manufacturer of the mb is
    different. Of course, if it is not a different chipset why bother to change
    motherboards? If you have only activated this copy of windows once or twice
    you should not have a problem, although Bill Gates is continually squeezing
    nickels forcing more stringent "authentication" tools on end users via the
    inevitable XP upgrades.
    Most likely you will be talking to WinXP support in India (I kid you not)
    begging them to give you a number to use your valid copy of WinXP as if you
    are trying to rob Microsoft instead of the other way around.
    That's why Bill Gates has that $50 billion. Outsourcing may not be patriotic
    but is sure is that other P: profitable.
    If you have a different chipset that requires different chipset drivers
    there are several ways to install them.
    Very often the first time you boot your new MB XP will recognize the change,
    install vanilla drivers and ask you to reboot, then you can install the
    specific drivers for your new MB. The safest way is to delete your current
    MB drivers and switch to vanilla drivers before installing your new MB.

    bmoag, May 7, 2006
  7. KissFan

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    If it's an identical motherboard you should have no probs.

    But you know something will go wrong don't you!!

    I'm from the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' school of though!!

    Bazzer Smith, May 9, 2006