Is this possible? please help (MS access query of sql database)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anthonyberet, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    I work for an organisation that uses a bespoke document imaging system, the
    database of which is an MS sql server.
    We have MS Access and already use it for some querying of the database.
    The database comprises a large number of distinct cases, which are
    differentiated by case reference numbers, in one field (table?) of the
    database. Each of these cases may have many documents associated with it,
    denoted by the reference number, and these documents may be "new", "pending"
    or "complete" shown in another data field.
    We need to know how many cases have work outstanding on them.
    Our problem is that our bespoke software will only count the number of
    documents of each status, and not the cases.

    Is it possible to design an MS Access query which will count the number of
    different reference numbers which have any "new" documents associated, but
    wont count each case more than once?

    I am reasonably computer-savvy, I just don't know Access or SQL..
    If I know it is possible, I don't mind putting in the effort to find out
    how. I just don't want to waste time barking up the wrong tree ;-)

    Of course any advice about how this would be achieved, such as pointers to
    the right parts of the MS Access helpfiles, or to relevant websites would be
    greatly appreciated. Some quick code would be even better...
    Also, if there is any 3rd-party software which could easily do this, I need
    help discovering it...I have looked long and hard, but don't know enough
    about what I am looking for.
    Yours in hope..
    --
    anthonyberet
    Please reply in the groups, as my Usenet email address is not working at the
    anthonyberet, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Mail me & I might be able to help. Take the -nospam off. Will need more
    details however.

    Sergio Orrego, Oct 18, 2003

  3. anthonyberet wrote:
    > I work for an organisation that uses a bespoke document imaging
    > system, the database of which is an MS sql server.
    > We have MS Access and already use it for some querying of the
    > database.
    > The database comprises a large number of distinct cases, which are
    > differentiated by case reference numbers, in one field (table?) of the
    > database. Each of these cases may have many documents associated with
    > it, denoted by the reference number, and these documents may be
    > "new", "pending" or "complete" shown in another data field.
    > We need to know how many cases have work outstanding on them.
    > Our problem is that our bespoke software will only count the number of
    > documents of each status, and not the cases.
    >
    > Is it possible to design an MS Access query which will count the
    > number of different reference numbers which have any "new" documents
    > associated, but wont count each case more than once?
    >
    > I am reasonably computer-savvy, I just don't know Access or SQL..
    > If I know it is possible, I don't mind putting in the effort to find
    > out how. I just don't want to waste time barking up the wrong tree ;-)
    >
    > Of course any advice about how this would be achieved, such as
    > pointers to the right parts of the MS Access helpfiles, or to
    > relevant websites would be greatly appreciated. Some quick code would
    > be even better...
    > Also, if there is any 3rd-party software which could easily do this,
    > I need help discovering it...I have looked long and hard, but don't
    > know enough about what I am looking for.
    > Yours in hope..

    You'd probably be better off in an MS Access group - try
    microsoft.public.access
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
    > anthonyberet wrote:
    >> I work for an organisation that uses a bespoke document imaging
    >> system, the database of which is an MS sql server.
    >> We have MS Access and already use it for some querying of the
    >> database.
    >> The database comprises a large number of distinct cases, which are
    >> differentiated by case reference numbers, in one field (table?) of
    >> the database. Each of these cases may have many documents associated
    >> with it, denoted by the reference number, and these documents may be
    >> "new", "pending" or "complete" shown in another data field.
    >> We need to know how many cases have work outstanding on them.
    >> Our problem is that our bespoke software will only count the number
    >> of documents of each status, and not the cases.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to design an MS Access query which will count the
    >> number of different reference numbers which have any "new" documents
    >> associated, but wont count each case more than once?
    >>
    >> I am reasonably computer-savvy, I just don't know Access or SQL..
    >> If I know it is possible, I don't mind putting in the effort to find
    >> out how. I just don't want to waste time barking up the wrong tree
    >> ;-)
    >>
    >> Of course any advice about how this would be achieved, such as
    >> pointers to the right parts of the MS Access helpfiles, or to
    >> relevant websites would be greatly appreciated. Some quick code would
    >> be even better...
    >> Also, if there is any 3rd-party software which could easily do this,
    >> I need help discovering it...I have looked long and hard, but don't
    >> know enough about what I am looking for.
    >> Yours in hope..

    > You'd probably be better off in an MS Access group - try
    > microsoft.public.access

    And I didn't see ALL those crossposts..... doh!
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 18, 2003