Is this place still alive?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. I haven't seen any new posts and wondered if this place is still alive?
    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2010

  2. Bobby Johnson

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 09/07/2010 in message <> Bobby
    Johnson wrote:

    >I haven't seen any new posts and wondered if this place is still alive?

    I'm here with you :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    Indecision is the key to flexibility
    Jeff Gaines, Jul 9, 2010

  3. Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > I haven't seen any new posts and wondered if this place is still
    > alive?

    Even if it is, don't expect it to last.

    "What is Happening?
    This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    Why?
    As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
    traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
    past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
    solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
    move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
    for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
    make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
    improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
    management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
    healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
    begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
    and discontinue support for newsgroups.

    In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
    users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
    newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
    which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
    forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
    functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
    NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

    Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
    October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
    starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
    active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

    Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
    Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

    Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
    "

    Now - just because the Microsoft Servers (News) go away does not mean other
    servers (News) won't already have and continue to have this particular
    group - however - I wouldn't count on it.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 9, 2010
  4. Bobby Johnson

    Eric Guest

    On 7/9/2010 7:51 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > On 09/07/2010 in message <> Bobby
    > Johnson wrote:
    >

    >> I haven't seen any new posts and wondered if this place is still alive?

    > I'm here with you :)

    Ditto, I'm here

    --
    Eric
    Eric, Jul 9, 2010
  5. Bobby Johnson

    Keith Combs Guest

    Keith Combs, Jul 9, 2010
  6. Bobby Johnson

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    Bill Sharpe, Jul 9, 2010
  7. Bobby Johnson

    barb bowman Guest

    I'd rather lurk and hang out in a single x64 forum with a great bunch of folks
    than sort through the misc. and misguided, not to mention moronic and
    malcontents (enough M's for you?) in a larger number of "forums". I already hang
    out on promedia and networking. And guess what? Loads of residential folks
    buying computers at BestBuy are ending up with x64 capable machines. They'd be
    lost over in the technet forums.

    Please reconsider the decision to not host an x64 bit forum equivalent to this
    NNTP group.

    Sample post from promedia:

    >From: dennis sneller
    >Subject: windows 7 ultimate
    >Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 00:35:46 +0000
    >Newsgroups: Technet.en-US.w7itpromedia
    >I make a dvd of personal pictures and then TRY to play them on a dvd player. Thas does not happen. The dvd player sdtates it "can not find a disc" Why is that?

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:10:54 -0500, "Keith Combs" <>
    wrote:

    >This newsgroup is not scheduled for shutdown until 8/1/2010. However, there
    >are a bunch of great forums at
    >http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro and you
    >are welcome to hang out there.
    >
    >They are definitely alive. :)
    >
    >Keith Combs
    >Senior Program Manager - TechNet
    >(425) 705-9217 office
    >http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
    barb bowman, Jul 9, 2010
  8. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    I'm here, just taking the long weekend off the city.
    :)
    Carlos

    de noticias:...

    Carlos, Jul 9, 2010
  9. Well, seems we got a month's reprieve, but you still haven't answered the
    key question, Keith. As Barb points out (and as we've all been saying for a
    while), your suggestion for where we should go isn't cutting it. And doesn't
    meet the needs of our users, IMNSHO.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2010
  10. Bobby Johnson

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > I haven't seen any new posts and wondered if this place is still alive?

    Yup.

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jul 9, 2010
  11. Bobby Johnson

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Keith.

    I'm still here - and loudly echo the comments by Bill and Barb and Charlie,
    and by the many others who, I'm sure, are just resisting the urge to "pile
    on".

    But neither you nor anyone else has answered BullDawg's question:
    > Could you please direct me to the 64bit specific forum?

    Thank you, Keith, for taking the heat between us and The Powers That Be -
    but we'd much rather be dealing with whomever might have the power to
    actually change the decision.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Jul 9, 2010
  12. Bobby Johnson

    kraut Guest

    Several of the free news servers as well as the non free ones will
    continue to carry this group such as free server
    news.eternal-september.org

    Just because the MS server is shutting down does not mean this group
    is and hopefully some of the MVPs will still frequent it.

    kraut, Jul 9, 2010
  13. Bobby Johnson

    Drew Guest

    and still kicking!!
    Drew, Jul 9, 2010
  14. I started this group. I'll stick with it as long as there is still any
    reasonable traffic on it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2010
  15. Bobby Johnson

    Dennis Pack Guest

    OT Re: Is this place still alive?

    Charlie:
    I think that I was of the first in this group to be scolded for spelling
    your last name with 2 l's instead of one.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 10, 2010
  16. Re: OT Re: Is this place still alive?

    I believe you were. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2010
  17. Dear News Group,

    I'm new to PCs and I want to learn more about using Software Explorer on my
    Windows Vista Home Premium PC/ Could someone recommend a group to ask
    questions? For example, under my list of running programs, some are
    classified as permitted and some are as yet unclassified.

    Bye,
    Will

    William J. Donegan, Jul 11, 2010