Is this photo real?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by casioculture@gmail.com, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Sep 23, 2005

  2. Rodrigo C. Guest

    Rodrigo C., Sep 23, 2005

  3. Ken Tough Guest

    Ken Tough, Sep 23, 2005
  4. DD (Rox) Guest

    DD (Rox), Sep 23, 2005
  5. Guest

    DD (Rox) wrote:
    > In article <dh0150$4iv$5.cl>, rcarmi@-no_molesten-puc.cl
    > says...
    > > yes, it's real
    > > http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/4537.html
    > >
    > > is called "kjeragbolten"
    > >
    > > <> escribió en el mensaje
    > > >
    > > > or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.
    > > >
    > > > http://tinypic.com/dxirlj.jpg

    > Mad bastards.

    Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD Rox,
    won't do like those guys here

    http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg
    http://tinypic.com/dxjodi.jpg

    Man, my knees hurt just looking at it.

    > --
    > Look. See. Click. Share.
    > www.leica.co.za
    > www.dallasdahms.com

    , Sep 23, 2005
  6. <> wrote in message

    > or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/dxirlj.jpg

    Don't worry....With all that gear he's carrying, he's probably got a
    parachute........

    William Graham, Sep 23, 2005
  7. Stacey Guest

    wrote:

    > Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD Rox,
    > won't do like those guys here
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg

    That's insane..
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Sep 23, 2005
  8. Mark² Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD
    >> Rox, won't do like those guys here
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg
    >>

    > That's insane..

    It looks that way, though one must figure that a trendous amount of downward
    momentum WAS stopped when that boulder initially fell into position. That
    means that short of major erosion, it has more than enough "sticking power"
    to remain firmly in place with the additional weight of people and tripods.
    :)

    -On the other hand...
    ....the famous "old man of the mountain" face finally came tumbling down.
    -You know--the one on a state quarter?

    :-O

    Mark², Sep 23, 2005
  9. DD (Rox) Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD Rox,
    > won't do like those guys here
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg
    > http://tinypic.com/dxjodi.jpg
    >
    > Man, my knees hurt just looking at it.

    Definitely not. I get nervous travelling up mountain passes in cars!

    It's not that I am afraid of heights - I'm afraid of falling to my death
    from great heights!

    --
    Look. See. Click. Share.
    www.leica.co.za

    DD (Rox), Sep 23, 2005
  10. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/dxirlj.jpg

    Probably real, and that backpack is probably a parachute....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 23, 2005
  11. In rec.photo.digital DD (Rox) <> wrote:
    : In article <>,
    : says...
    : >
    : > Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD
    : > Rox, won't do like those guys here
    : >
    : > http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg
    : > http://tinypic.com/dxjodi.jpg
    : >
    : > Man, my knees hurt just looking at it.

    : Definitely not. I get nervous travelling up mountain passes in cars!

    : It's not that I am afraid of heights - I'm afraid of falling to my
    : death from great heights!

    As the old saying goes, it isnt the fall that gets you, its the sudden
    stop. :)

    Actually these photos aren't too scary, but I remember one vacation to
    Yosemite when I was on an overlook from far over the valley floor. At the
    end of the path there was a cliff that dropped vertically from a sharp
    edge. At that point there was a railing that you could lean against. But
    the railing was angled so that if you leaned firmly aginst it your head
    (and part of your upper body) was extending out over the drop. You could
    look several hundred feet STRAIGHT DOWN. Now THAT was scary. I loved the
    view! :)

    Actually I don't have a problem with such a viewpoint, but am always
    worried about dropping a camera or loosing my glasses and so I'm always so
    concerned about dropping something I rarely notice the precarious
    position of my body. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Sep 23, 2005
  12. DD (Rox) Guest

    In article <dh0fbu$gi2$>,
    says...
    > As the old saying goes, it isnt the fall that gets you, its the sudden
    > stop. :)
    >
    > Actually these photos aren't too scary, but I remember one vacation to
    > Yosemite when I was on an overlook from far over the valley floor. At the
    > end of the path there was a cliff that dropped vertically from a sharp
    > edge. At that point there was a railing that you could lean against. But
    > the railing was angled so that if you leaned firmly aginst it your head
    > (and part of your upper body) was extending out over the drop. You could
    > look several hundred feet STRAIGHT DOWN. Now THAT was scary. I loved the
    > view! :)
    >
    > Actually I don't have a problem with such a viewpoint, but am always
    > worried about dropping a camera or loosing my glasses and so I'm always so
    > concerned about dropping something I rarely notice the precarious
    > position of my body. :)

    No thanks. It's funny though, I can handle heights when I am inside
    something. When I first got married we lived in a flat on the 16th floor
    of a 32 story building. I had no problem sticking my head out of the
    window, even from the top. However, growing up as a kid we used to live
    in a building where the washlines were on the roof which was only 13
    floors up. There was a wall around the entire roof that was the same
    height as the balconies of all the apartments, but I couldn't look out
    over the edge. My legs would give way (reminds me of an episode of Mr.
    Bean!).

    Cable cars and planes I'm fine in too.

    --
    Look. See. Click. Share.
    www.leica.co.za

    DD (Rox), Sep 23, 2005
  13. Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.

    Given how much the chock-stone must weigh, I doubt someone standing on it is
    going to make it go anywhere in a hurry.

    Chris Brown, Sep 23, 2005
  14. Guest

    Chris Brown wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.

    > Given how much the chock-stone must weigh, I doubt someone standing on it is
    > going to make it go anywhere in a hurry.

    I'd be more worried about me being thrown off balance by a gust of
    wind.

    , Sep 23, 2005
  15. John Fryatt Guest

    DD (Rox) wrote:
    > In article <dh0fbu$gi2$>,
    > says...

    > No thanks. It's funny though, I can handle heights when I am inside
    > something. When I first got married we lived in a flat on the 16th floor
    > of a 32 story building. I had no problem sticking my head out of the
    > window, even from the top. However, growing up as a kid we used to live
    > in a building where the washlines were on the roof which was only 13
    > floors up. There was a wall around the entire roof that was the same
    > height as the balconies of all the apartments, but I couldn't look out
    > over the edge. My legs would give way (reminds me of an episode of Mr.
    > Bean!).
    >
    > Cable cars and planes I'm fine in too.

    Reminds me of a photo I saw in a magazine a while ago. It was an old
    one, from the 30s, and showed steel erectors working on the Empire State
    buiding in New York. It was lunchtime and they were sitting on a steel
    beam sticking out into empty space about zillion feet up, eating sandwiches!
    Gaaah! I felt queasy just looking at the picture. Great bit of
    photography actually, the image really captured what it was like to be
    up there. At least I think he did, because I am never going to find out
    for myself. :)

    Aeroplanes are different somehow, aren't they? I can look out and see
    the tiny specks that are cars etc. from thousands of feet up and not
    worry at all.

    John Fryatt, Sep 23, 2005
  16. DD (Rox) Guest

    In article <fYRYe.19094$>,
    says...

    > Reminds me of a photo I saw in a magazine a while ago. It was an old
    > one, from the 30s, and showed steel erectors working on the Empire State
    > buiding in New York. It was lunchtime and they were sitting on a steel
    > beam sticking out into empty space about zillion feet up, eating sandwiches!
    > Gaaah! I felt queasy just looking at the picture. Great bit of
    > photography actually, the image really captured what it was like to be
    > up there. At least I think he did, because I am never going to find out
    > for myself. :)

    Ha! Believe it or not we have two large prints of those images framed in
    our boardroom! The second one shows the same guys taking a nap on the
    girders!!

    --
    Look. See. Click. Share.
    www.leica.co.za

    DD (Rox), Sep 23, 2005
  17. Jer Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD Rox,
    >>won't do like those guys here
    >>
    >>http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg
    >>

    > That's insane..

    Next time I see Darwin, I'm gonna ask him if he's aware of this
    situation. Seems there are still some people around that haven't met him.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Sep 23, 2005
  18. Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >Chris Brown wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.

    >> Given how much the chock-stone must weigh, I doubt someone standing on it is
    >> going to make it go anywhere in a hurry.

    >I'd be more worried about me being thrown off balance by a gust of
    >wind.

    Do you find this happens a lot? I mean, it would seem to be just as likely
    when walking next to a busy road.

    Chris Brown, Sep 23, 2005
  19. Peter Chant Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Probably real, and that backpack is probably a parachute....

    Not that I parachute, but I don't think it is, it looks more like rucksack
    straps than a parachute harness. He's got no helmet and and the belt part
    of the rucksack is undone.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, Sep 23, 2005
  20. Peter Chant Guest

    wrote:

    > I'd be more worried about me being thrown off balance by a gust of
    > wind.

    I'd be creating my own gusts of wind if you tried putting me on that...

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, Sep 23, 2005