Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David_nj_7@mailbolt.com, Nov 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Nov 5, 2006

  2. timeOday Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
    > me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
    > 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
    > thought.
    >
    > http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=14
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > DAVID

    Definitely CGI, but the waves are especially nice, how they rise up only
    near the shore.
    timeOday, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome
    > to me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated
    > from a 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what
    > you guys thought.
    >
    > http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=14
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > DAVID

    Wasn't the fact that the site's name is "shiftedreality.com" a clue?
    Oh, and how about the link "3D Digital Art"???
    :)

    It's a very realistic work of digital art...save for the impossible rock
    formations...

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Nov 5, 2006
  4. Frank ess Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks
    >> awesome
    >> to me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated
    >> from a 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what
    >> you guys thought.
    >>
    >> http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=14
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> DAVID

    > Wasn't the fact that the site's name is "shiftedreality.com" a clue?
    > Oh, and how about the link "3D Digital Art"???
    > :)
    >
    > It's a very realistic work of digital art...save for the impossible
    > rock formations...

    I recognized Mickey Mouse, one of the "Fantasia" hippos, and Yogi Bear

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Nov 5, 2006
  5. Guest

    Frank ess wrote:

    I recognized Mickey Mouse, one of the "Fantasia" hippos, and Yogi
    Bear.

    OK... OK I'm not using the best monitor. I guess I should call an
    eyedoctor too.... lol

    Thanks

    David
    , Nov 5, 2006
  6. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
    > me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
    > 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
    > thought.
    >
    > http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=14
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > DAVID

    Combination?
    Ron Hunter, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Ray Fischer Guest

    <> wrote:
    >Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
    >me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
    >3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
    >thought.
    >
    >http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=14

    One tip is the overuse of the "fog" effect. Gives the illusion of
    distance, but in this case it conflicts with the clarity of the sun.
    And the ground looks too dry next to the water - with waves there is
    always wet ground next to the water.

    And, of course, the rocks are too improbable.

    But I don't thinks it's entirely 3D computer graphics. It looks more
    like a composite of photographs and 2D illustration.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 5, 2006
  8. Jer Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
    > me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
    > 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
    > thought.
    >
    > http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=14
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > DAVID

    The front cover of a new Pink Floyd album?

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Nov 5, 2006
  9. Ken Tough Guest

    Ray Fischer <> wrote:

    >One tip is the overuse of the "fog" effect. Gives the illusion of
    >distance, but in this case it conflicts with the clarity of the sun.

    You do get lots of funny patchy fog over the sea. I've seen similar
    conditions and that part really doesn't surprise me.

    >And the ground looks too dry next to the water - with waves there is
    >always wet ground next to the water.

    The line along the water is the giveaway. Not so much because it
    should be wet (it could be supposed to be porous rock; the beach/
    cliffs on the windward edge of Curacao come to mind) but because
    there is far too sharp and smooth an edge between land and water
    on that curve along the left side.

    >And, of course, the rocks are too improbable.

    And I tried to see whether any are just reflections/rotations,
    which would be the dead giveway. Too hard to see that..

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Nov 5, 2006
  10. Guest

    it's memorex. the silhoetttes are too crisp and nondescript

    wrote:
    > Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
    > me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
    > 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
    > thought.
    >
    > http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=14
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > DAVID