    common practice. I bought my drive new and it was in like new condition, but
    I get this in return.

    Turner
    Malcom B, Nov 5, 2003

  2. I know that latly alot of drive companys are using refurbished drives
    for non-working returns, but I didnt know WD started to do it.

    That really sucks because if its not new, you never know what it has
    been through. But they can get away with it because its **a working
    replacemnt**

    Justin Olanin, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Why should you get a new drive? The one that died was used when it died.
    I can see why you should get a new drive for one that was DOA but not
    necessarily for one that was used.

    Perhaps what they should offer are warranties like battery & tire
    companies-if it fails within the first X days you get the full price/new
    replacement. For the remainder of the warranty period all you get is a
    pro-rated refund/discount on a new replacement. That way you pay for the
    use you get from it.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Malcom B

    Malcom B Guest

    Well, I would agree if the drive was several months old, however, I'm
    talking about a retail drive I purchased new and fails within 2 months. I
    get a scratched up refurb that I don't trust for data keeping. Also, if I
    sell it, I will take a loss because I would not expect someone to pay as
    much for a refurb drive.

    Malcom B, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Malcom B

    vince Guest

    You should get a new one because your first one has a manufacure defect.
    THat is their fault, not yours.

    vince, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Malcom B

    bmoag Guest

    Almost all replacements are refurbished. I recently went through 2
    Hitachi/IBM hard drive replacements. The third was brand new but smaller
    capacity: I gave up and kept it because at least it works.
    bmoag, Nov 6, 2003
  7. This is why I said X days rather than a specific number. It seems that
    we agree on the principle, we just disagree on how much use you should
    get before regarding it as no longer eligible for a new replacement.

    I'm wondering-is the essence of your complaint that you got a refurb
    drive or is it the condition of the refurb drive that you got? As noted
    above we differ on whether or not you should have gotten a refurb drive.
    OTOH, using my imagination to picture the 'scratched up refurb' that you
    describe I tend to agree that WD shouldn't have sent one out in that
    condition. Would your complaint have been different had the drive been
    indistinguishable from new except for the label noting that it was
    refurbished?

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Malcom B

    Plato Guest

    Malcom B wrote:

    > I bought a new Western Digital External drive about 2 months ago. The drive
    > went bad and Western Digital replaced the drive, but the replacement drive
    > is refurbished and has scratches all over it. Just wondered if this was
    > common practice. I bought my drive new and it was in like new condition, but
    > I get this in return.

    Returned drives are repaired, then sent to folks who sent in bad drives.
    Normal. It's not normal tho that you got one that appeared used, as most
    of them do seem to look new.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 6, 2003