Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Digital Photography Now, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Digital Photography Now, Aug 29, 2006

  2. In article <2QUIg.19415$>, Digital
    Photography Now <> wrote:

    > I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
    > have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

    If it carries the Sigma name, you know it's gotta be crap.
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Digital Photography Now

    mark Guest

    Hi Randall.
    Bye Randall

    mark, Aug 29, 2006
  4. Digital Photography Now

    Eric Miller Guest

    Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > See:
    > http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
    >
    > I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
    > have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Digital Photography Now
    >
    > http://dpnow.com

    I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?
    Eric Miller, Aug 29, 2006
  5. Digital Photography Now

    SMS Guest

    Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > See:
    > http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
    >
    > I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
    > have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Digital Photography Now
    >
    > http://dpnow.com

    No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.
    SMS, Aug 29, 2006
  6. Digital Photography Now

    Guest

    Eric Miller wrote:
    > Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > > See:
    > > http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
    > >
    > > I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
    > > have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
    > >
    > > Ian
    > >
    > > Digital Photography Now
    > >
    > > http://dpnow.com
    > >

    > I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

    Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
    MP. I hope - if this is really the new SD14 - that Sigma got it right
    this time. The Foveon chip is a pretty cool technology.

    -Gniewko
    , Aug 29, 2006
  7. Digital Photography Now

    SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > Eric Miller wrote:
    >> Digital Photography Now wrote:
    >>> See:
    >>> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
    >>>
    >>> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
    >>> have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
    >>>
    >>> Ian
    >>>
    >>> Digital Photography Now
    >>>
    >>> http://dpnow.com
    >>>

    >> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

    > Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
    > MP.

    That's the theory anyway. In practice, the 3Mp SD9/10 was much worse
    than 6 Mp Bayer based SLRs. The imagined sharpness of the SD9/10 came at
    the expense of inaccurate rendering of diagonal edges and thin lines,
    and sometimes moiré effects.

    Has Foveon solved the silicon color separation contamination issues that
    plagued the SD9 and SD10 with color accuracy problems? Have they solved
    the noise issues? Did they add an anti-aliasing filter?

    Did they come up with a better Li-Ion battery solution than two RCRV3
    batteries in series?

    Did they fix the viewfinder?

    You've got to believe that Sigma and Foveon would not attempt another
    digital SLR unless they really have solved all the issues that caused
    the SD9 and SD10 to flop.

    The SD14 could find a niche market at the low end, competing against the
    D50, Rebel XT, and Sony A100, if they price it around $600.
    SMS, Aug 29, 2006
  8. Digital Photography Now

    Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Eric Miller wrote:

    > >> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

    > > Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
    > > MP.

    > That's the theory anyway. In practice, the 3Mp SD9/10 was much worse
    > than 6 Mp Bayer based SLRs. The imagined sharpness of the SD9/10 came at
    > the expense of inaccurate rendering of diagonal edges and thin lines,
    > and sometimes moiré effects.

    Yup, exactly. That's why I said that I hope they got it right this
    time.

    > (snip)
    >
    > The SD14 could find a niche market at the low end, competing against the
    > D50, Rebel XT, and Sony A100, if they price it around $600.

    Well, that depends on the detailed specs of the camera, no? There is
    nothing inherently superior about Bayer chips that make them more
    suited to high-end cameras than Foveon chips. In fact, quite the
    opposite may be true. Just because Sigma screwed it up with the SD9 and
    SD10 and gave Foveon chips a bad rep, that doesn't mean that they can't
    get it right this time.

    Or maybe I'm just too optimistic...

    -Gniewko
    , Aug 29, 2006
  9. Digital Photography Now

    SMS Guest

    wrote:

    > Or maybe I'm just too optimistic...

    I would tend to think that you're too optimistic. If Foveon had solved
    the problems with their sensors, then they would have been able to find
    a first or second tier SLR maker to use them in a product, rather than
    having to go with Sigma.

    Even if the SD14 is a great body, you still have the issue of the
    quality of the Sigma lenses. Unless Sigma moved to a Canon or Nikon
    mount. The SD14 may find a niche at the very low end, if it's priced
    right, but the people buying the low end cameras would probably be even
    more wary about buying such a camera.
    SMS, Aug 29, 2006
  10. Digital Photography Now

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > Digital Photography Now wrote:
    >> See:
    >> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
    >>
    >> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems
    >> to have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
    >>
    >> Ian
    >>
    >> Digital Photography Now
    >>
    >> http://dpnow.com

    > No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

    Wrong:

    http://www.sigma-sd14.com/

    This is the "teaser" site from Sigma.
    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 29, 2006
  11. Digital Photography Now

    SMS Guest

    Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > "SMS" <> wrote in message
    >> Digital Photography Now wrote:
    >>> See:
    >>> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
    >>>
    >>> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems
    >>> to have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
    >>>
    >>> Ian
    >>>
    >>> Digital Photography Now
    >>>
    >>> http://dpnow.com

    >> No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

    > Wrong:
    >
    > http://www.sigma-sd14.com/
    >
    > This is the "teaser" site from Sigma.

    Argh, I guess they don't plan to sell any of these in China or Taiwan.
    SMS, Aug 29, 2006
  12. Digital Photography Now

    g n p Guest

    >> No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

    Ok, I give up.......
    Why not??????????
    g n p, Aug 29, 2006
  13. Digital Photography Now

    SMS Guest

    g n p wrote:
    >>> No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

    > Ok, I give up.......
    > Why not??????????

    4=Death
    14=Certain Death

    "The Chinese do not like to have a house or a car with the number 4 or a
    combination like 14 “must die”, 24 “easily dying”, 44 “dying and dead”
    and 74 “surely dead”"

    http://www.feng-shui-architects.com/articles-fengshuinumerology.htm

    Also see "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_(number)"

    Unfortunately, the way I learned about this is working for a U.S.
    company that had a product with 14 in the model number. And the
    precursor to the name transliterated into Cantonese was "banana." So
    everyone in our Hong Kong office ran around calling the product (a
    microcontroller system-on-a-chip), the "Dead Banana."

    Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
    product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
    but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?
    SMS, Aug 29, 2006
  14. Digital Photography Now

    Bill Hilton Guest

    SMS wrote:

    > > Ok, I give up.......
    > > Why not??????????

    > 4=Death
    > 14=Certain Death
    >
    > "The Chinese do not like to have a house or a car with the number 4 or a
    > combination like 14 "must die", 24 "easily dying", 44 "dying and dead"
    > and 74 "surely dead""
    >
    > http://www.feng-shui-architects.com/articles-fengshuinumerology.htm
    >
    > Also see "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_(number)"
    >
    > Unfortunately, the way I learned about this is working for a U.S.
    > company that had a product with 14 in the model number. And the
    > precursor to the name transliterated into Cantonese was "banana." So
    > everyone in our Hong Kong office ran around calling the product (a
    > microcontroller system-on-a-chip), the "Dead Banana."
    >
    > Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
    > product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
    > but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?

    Ah, I guess that explains why Nikon didn't come out with an F4 film
    camera too ...
    Bill Hilton, Aug 29, 2006
  15. Digital Photography Now

    SMS Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > Ah, I guess that explains why Nikon didn't come out with an F4 film
    > camera too ...

    In the 1980's companies were a lot less sensitive to this sort of thing.
    SMS, Aug 29, 2006
  16. Digital Photography Now

    Mike Civil Guest

    In article <44f4afcd$0$96158$>,
    SMS <> wrote:
    >Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
    >product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
    >but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?

    Explains why Panasonic went from FZ30 to FZ50 :))

    Mike
    Mike Civil, Aug 29, 2006
  17. Digital Photography Now

    Helen Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message

    > 14=Certain Death

    Well, let's face it, it IS a Sigma.
    All jokes die don't they?
    Helen, Aug 29, 2006
  18. On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:43:01 +0000 (UTC), Mike Civil <> wrote:
    > In article <44f4afcd$0$96158$>,
    > SMS <> wrote:
    >>Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
    >>product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
    >>but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?

    > Explains why Panasonic went from FZ30 to FZ50 :))

    They did have an FZ4, though (a 4 MP version of the FZ5).

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 29, 2006
  19. "Eric Miller" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

    Apparently, from what I've read, 2640x1760 pixels = 4.65 Mp.
    Times 3 colors, makes13.9 RGB samples, with R/G/B being co-located.
    Lens mount seems to be a Sigma mount.

    Formal introduction seems to be planned on Sept. 26th at the
    Photokina 2006 (http://www.sigma-sd14.com/).

    --
    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 30, 2006
  20. Digital Photography Now

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 01:02:29 +0200, "Bart van der Wolf"
    <> wrote:

    >"Eric Miller" <> wrote in message
    >SNIP
    >> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

    >Apparently, from what I've read, 2640x1760 pixels = 4.65 Mp.
    >Times 3 colors, makes13.9 RGB samples, with R/G/B being co-located.
    >Lens mount seems to be a Sigma mount.
    >
    >Formal introduction seems to be planned on Sept. 26th at the
    >Photokina 2006 (http://www.sigma-sd14.com/).

    Watching this, I gather the camera will be RAW only, and will lack
    features that are included in cameras in the SD14's class.
    But, I could be wrong; it's vaporware.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"