Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stara Suka, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. Stara Suka

    Stara Suka Guest

    Got this a moment ago, and laughed my arse off. If I won a lottery
    in the U.K., why is the payout from Africa?

    Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 03:43:21 +1300 (NZDT)
    From: INFORMATION_DEPARMENT <>
    Subject: YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED AS THE MICROSOFT AWARD
    WINNER..2007!!!

    Microsoft Award Team
    20 Craven Park, Harlesden
    London NW10
    United Kingdom
    Ref: BTD/968/05
    Batch: 409978E
    Dear Sir/Madam,

    WINNING NOTIFICATION
    The prestigious Microsoft and Aol has set out and successfully
    organised a Sweepstakes marking the end of year anniversary and we
    have
    rolled out over $25,000,000.00(Twenty-five Million American Dollars)
    for the end of year Anniversary Draws. Participants for this draws
    were
    randomly selected and drawn from a wide range of web hosts which we
    enjoy their patronage.

    The selection was made through a computer draw system attaching
    personalised email addresses to ticket numbers, if you ignore this,
    you
    will regret it later. Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet
    companies and in an effort to make sure that Internet Explorer
    remains
    the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are running an
    e-mail
    data test.

    Your email address as indicated was drawn and attached to ticket
    number
    008795727498 with serial numbers BTD/9080648302/06 and drew the
    lucky
    numbers 14-21-25-39-40-47(20) which subsequently won you
    $1,000,000.00
    (One Million US Dollars) already issued in a cheque as one of the
    10 jackpot winners in this draw. You have therefore won the entire
    winning sum of $1,000,000.00 (One Million US Dollars). The draws
    registered as Draw number one was conducted in Brockley, London
    United
    Kingdom .

    These Draws are commemorative and as such special. Please note that
    your lucky winning number falls within our Africa booklet
    representative in West Africa as indicated in your play coupon, In
    view
    of this, your $1,000,000.00 (One Million US Dollars)
    cheque would be released to you by our Fiduciary Agent in West
    Africa,
    Our Fiduciary agent will immediately commence the process to
    facilitate
    the release of your cheque as soon as you contact him.

    Make contact with your designated agent who shall by duty guide you
    through the process to facilitate the release of your winning
    cheque.
    To file for your claim, Please Contact your fiduciary agent with the
    details below:

    NAME: MR David Moore
    Email:

    You are advised to contact your Fiduciary Agent with the following
    details to avoid unnecessary delays and complications with your

    Name (in Full) :................................
    Country:..........................................
    Address:.........................................
    Direct Telephone No:.......................
    Age:..................................................
    Sex:..................................................
    Occupation/position:.......................
    Ticket Number:..................................
    Serial Number:...................................

    Thank you for being part of this promotional award program.
    Our special thanks and gratitude to Bill Gates and his associates.
    We
    wish you the best of luck as you spend your good fortune. Thank you
    for
    being part of our commemorative end of year Anniversary Draws. Happy
    end of year celebration.

    Sincerely,
    MRS. SUSAN LARS
    Microsoft Promotion Team
    PLEASE NOTE! Any claim not made before (14) working days from date
    of
    notification will indicate that the winner has voluntarily forfeited

    Stara Suka, Dec 7, 2007

  2. Stara Suka

    Mike Easter Guest

    Stara Suka wrote:
    > Got this a moment ago, and laughed my arse off. If I won a lottery
    > in the U.K., why is the payout from Africa?

    There are various reasons that it isn't optimal or even acceptable to
    post a spam into an ordinary newsgroup, and there are guidelines to help
    you find a way to display something if you should want to talk about it
    without posting it here.

    Such an item with complete headers and unrendered spambody is acceptable
    when posted according to the guidelines for
    news.admin.net-abuse.sightings. The idea is that the built-in followups
    to the sightings post would go into the group
    news.admin.net-abuse-email, but not here, or you could post a news link
    or a googlegrouops link to your sightings post. Unfortunately, there is
    a significant delay between posting to sightings and the moderation
    process before a link to the post would be accessible.

    Alternatively, you could register to be a free spamcop reporter, paste
    your ugly spam into its parser, copy the resultant tracking url, cancel
    the report, and paste the oneline tracker here. That method takes only
    a few seconds.

    It is 'gauche' or rude and ugly by other names, to be posting such ugly
    spam/scam into newsgroups such as this one. The readers here get quite
    enough spam/scam of their own to not be wanting to look at something you
    dragged out of what should have been in your trash. You also shouldn't
    be opening and reading your spam in the same manner as spam respondents
    and spamsupporters do.

    "Looky looky at the spam I got! See what it says?"

    No good.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2007

  3. Stara Suka

    Stara Suka Guest

    Hi Mike. Before I plonk you for giving me shit, I posted the
    headers, etc. because I was hoping that someone who knows how to
    read and decipher that stuff would be able to determine for me if it
    was legit. I kind of doubt that it is, but, for example, Ron
    Martell (sp) or another MS MVP may know whether the name attached as
    a valid MS employee actually is.

    :
[...]
    : --
    : Mike Easter
    :

    Stara Suka, Dec 7, 2007
  4. Stara Suka

    pcbuilder98. Guest

    "Stara Suka" <> wrote in

    > Got this a moment ago, and laughed my arse off. If I won a lottery
    > in the U.K., why is the payout from Africa?

    <snip spam any third grader would recognize>

    If you can't answer that question yourself then you shouldn't be using a
    computer without supervision.

    --
    pcbuilder98.

    pcbuilder98., Dec 7, 2007
  5. Stara Suka

    Guest

    "Stara Suka" <> wrote:

    >Hi Mike. Before I plonk you for giving me shit, I posted the
    >headers, etc. because I was hoping that someone who knows how to
    >read and decipher that stuff would be able to determine for me if it
    >was legit.

    Mike was your best chance for a header reading.

    Of course it's not legit, that's just a stupid question.

    --

    http://dinside.no/km_bilde/9/2433329.jpg

    , Dec 7, 2007
  6. Stara Suka

    Mike Easter Guest

    Stara Suka wrote:
    > Before I plonk you for giving me shit,

    I think it would be a very good idea if you plonk me because I have no
    interest in trying to carry on an ongoing conversation with a top
    poster.

    In the first place, you are trying to pretend that you are not a fool
    who is bamboozled by the spam you foolishly read by saying "Got this a
    moment ago, and laughed my arse off."

    .... and in the other place you are actually gullibly asking in the
    subject "Is this legit?" and trying to imagine that this is all about
    some glorious spamladen opportunity. That's what comes from receptively
    reading spamscam. You have no business allowing it into your inbox or
    reading it receptively.

    > I posted the
    > headers, etc. because I was hoping that someone who knows how to
    > read and decipher that stuff would be able to determine for me if it
    > was legit.

    I know exactly how to read and decipher this stuff. This is not the
    proper place to be discussing the dissection of headers, but now that we
    are into it, I'll show you how I illustrate them in the proper places
    when we have discussions where we talk about this stuff.

    This item originated from a .ng Nigerian connectivity IP (probably
    cybercafe) and was handled by a .nz webmailer on its way to you.

    Abbreviated Received tracelines *comment
    from wnpgmb02-c600a.mts.net ([172.17.170.17]) by mx-mtain01.mts.net
    *serves recipient
    from smtp5.clear.net.nz ([203.97.33.68]) by wnpgmb02-c600a.mts.net
    *relay output
    from ux421.paradise.net.nz 203.96.152.151 by smtp5.clear.net.nz *relay
    by ux421.paradise.net.nz *noncompliant relay input

    Source: 213.185.118.199
    inetnum: 213.185.118.192 - 213.185.118.255
    VIENNA TECHNOLOGIES customer, NG
    person: Victor Asiboja
    person: Goodnews Oriabor
    address: NIGERIA
    Notify intelsat:

    Webmailer/relay:
    descr: TelstraClear Ltd

    If you follow up on this, it will become an advance fee fraud scam, as
    we term the crime/offense in the US.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2007
  7. Stara Suka

    Stara Suka Guest

    :
    : This item originated from a .ng Nigerian connectivity IP (probably
    : cybercafe) and was handled by a .nz webmailer on its way to you.
    :

    Thank you. I did not, however, physically "open" it. I
    right-clicked and went to Properties, then to Details, then Message
    Source.
    By the way, as has been discussed here many times before, I and a
    few others top-post because of vision problems.
    :
    : --
    : Mike Easter
    :

    Stara Suka, Dec 7, 2007
  8. Stara Suka

    Mike Easter Guest

    Stara Suka wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    > By the way, as has been discussed here many times before, I and a
    > few others top-post because of vision problems.

    My understanding of the issues of compensation and devices to aid with
    impaired vision is that the optimal format is a well trimmed context and
    that the worst format is an untrimmed bottom post. In a few minutes I
    think I can find a resource written on the subject by an expert on the
    issue who also has signficantly impaired vision.

    Advocating well trimmed context is not at all the same as the poor
    netiquette and undesirable untrimmed bottom posting.

    Do not confuse my position against top posting to have anything to do
    with untrimmed bottom posting. Only top posters think that such a
    discussion is about untrimmed top posting vs untrimmed bottom posting.
    Everyone else knows that the real issue is about properly attributed and
    trimmed context as opposed to unattributed untrimmed non-context.

    If you have a device aiding your newsreading, the best thing for you to
    have an orderly and attributed and trimmed context. That is also true
    if you do not have such a device.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2007
  9. Stara Suka

    Mike Easter Guest

    Stara Suka wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    > By the way, as has been discussed here many times before, I and a
    > few others top-post because of vision problems.

    Here's an article against 'upside-down posting' written by a newsgroup
    participant who is blind and who uses a device called JAWS, a newsreader
    for the blind.

    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
    Upsidedown Posting
    by Richard Christopher, Dorking, Surrey, UK
    Royal National Institute for the Blind (Redhill)

    "Many of you throw JAWS into a state of confusion by posting
    upside-down. That is, you add your comments at the top of a follow-up
    and leave the attributed follow-up trailing below."

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2007
  10. Stara Suka

    samuel Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > This is
    > not the proper place to be discussing the dissection of
    > headers,

    why would you state that

    just curious

    samuel, Dec 7, 2007
  11. Stara Suka

    Mara Guest

    On 07 Dec 2007 12:14:10 GMT, samuel <> wrote:

    >"Mike Easter" <> wrote in
    >
    >> This is
    >> not the proper place to be discussing the dissection of
    >> headers,

    >why would you state that
    >
    >just curious

    The spam itself shouldn't have been posted. Headers, though, are perfectly
    on-topic here, since there is no such thing in 24HSHD as off-topic except the
    usual netiquette. (Posting spam, shouting in all caps, etc.)

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Dec 7, 2007
  12. Stara Suka

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mara wrote:
    >samuel
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> This is
    >>> not the proper place to be discussing the dissection of
    >>> headers,

    I should have said that differently. I should have said this wasn't the
    /best/ place to be discussing headerwork.

    >> why would you state that

    > The spam itself shouldn't have been posted. Headers, though, are
    > perfectly on-topic here, since there is no such thing in 24HSHD as
    > off-topic except the usual netiquette. (Posting spam, shouting in all
    > caps, etc.)

    My personal preferences regarding talking about spam related issues is
    to have access to what I call 'the whole enchilada' and that the
    questioner not make any 'decisions' about removal of parts of the
    enchilada from my view, with the exception of whatever modest and
    unambiguous privacy mungeing is done. Worthwhile clues can often be
    found everywhere, in the headers and in the body. I want all of what is
    found in the message's property details.

    The spam posting by the sightings method and the spamcop method provide
    access to that enchilada. 'Restrictive' guidelines in the 'wrong group'
    that lead to trimming of the enchilada for posting in the 'wrong place'
    create missing pieces that I would have wanted to see.

    As an example, in the spamcop newsgroups, 'spam' is not allowed in the
    discussion groups. The spamcop groups use the tracking URL system for
    the whole enchilada or a 'special' spam group which can function like
    the nana-sightings group.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2007
  13. Stara Suka

    samuel Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > Mara wrote:
    >>samuel
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    > I should have said that differently. I should have said this
    > wasn't the /best/ place to be discussing headerwork.

    okay I understand now

    thanks

    samuel, Dec 8, 2007