    and no... its not a UFO

    Thanks for any help.
    David
    David Bindle, Sep 9, 2005

  2. "David Bindle" <> schreef in bericht
    news:dfs44m$un7$...
    >I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
    > (It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
    > further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find.
    > (There
    > are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
    > The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if I
    > change lenses... it's still there.
    > Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The lens was
    > focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the sensor, it
    > would
    > be more in focus.
    >
    > http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/
    >
    > and no... its not a UFO
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > David

    Yep, that`s dust.

    Max From Holland, Sep 9, 2005

  3. David Bindle

    Jim Townsend Guest

    David Bindle wrote:

    > I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
    > (It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
    > further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find. (There
    > are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
    > The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if I
    > change lenses... it's still there.
    > Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The lens was
    > focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the sensor, it would
    > be more in focus.
    >
    > http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/
    >
    > and no... its not a UFO

    Yes it's dust on the sensor. You can't see dust on your lens.

    If you put the camera in Av mode and select a high f number (eg f/22)
    you'll see the dust particle becomes sharper. You might even see
    more particles.

    Put your camera in 'sensor clean' mode and give your sensor a
    quick puff with a bulb blower.. That should fix it.

    If not, you'll have to use a swab or brush to remove it.
    Jim Townsend, Sep 9, 2005
  4. David Bindle

    Deep Reset Guest

    Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

    "David Bindle" <> wrote in message
    >I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
    > (It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
    > further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find.
    > (There
    > are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
    > The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if I
    > change lenses... it's still there.
    > Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The lens was
    > focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the sensor, it
    > would
    > be more in focus.
    >
    > http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/
    >
    > and no... its not a UFO
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > David

    I don't think there's such a thing as "just" dust on a sensor :-(

    I've just spotted some on my *stDS's and am about to try to get it off, but
    simply blowing seems like it could just resettle, so I was going to try
    putting the vacuum cleaner's nozzle just outside the body, then puffing the
    sensor with an air duster, and hopefully the dislodged dust will get drawn
    into the cleaner.

    Any comments/thoughts?

    Deep.
    Deep Reset, Sep 9, 2005
  5. David Bindle

    tbm Guest

    Re: Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

    so I was going to try
    putting the vacuum cleaner's nozzle just outside the body, then puffing the
    sensor with an air duster, and hopefully the dislodged dust will get drawn
    >into the cleaner.

    >Any comments/thoughts?

    >Deep.

    DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CAMERA WITH A VACUM CLEANER.STICK TO THE ARTIST'S BRUSH METHOD AND HURRICANE BLOWER.rgds to all from
    tbm...
    tbm, Sep 9, 2005
  6. David Bindle

    Deep Reset Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > so I was going to try
    > putting the vacuum cleaner's nozzle just outside the body, then puffing
    > the
    > sensor with an air duster, and hopefully the dislodged dust will get drawn
    >>into the cleaner.

    >>Any comments/thoughts?

    >>Deep.

    > DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CAMERA WITH A VACUM CLEANER.STICK TO THE
    > ARTIST'S BRUSH METHOD AND HURRICANE BLOWER.rgds to all from
    > tbm...

    The cleaner will be clamped outside the lens aperture, several centimetres
    from the sensor, the idea being to draw displaced dust away from the area -
    would you please expand on your comment?

    Deep.
    Deep Reset, Sep 9, 2005
  7. David Bindle

    Keith Guest

    Re: Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

    I don't see what harm this will do.

    In fact, sounds like a good idea as long as the vacuum cleaner nozzle is
    kept a safe distance (I.E. outside the camera).

    Keith, Sep 9, 2005
  8. David Bindle

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Keith <> wrote:
    || I don't see what harm this will do.
    || In fact, sounds like a good idea as long as the vacuum
    || cleaner nozzle is kept a safe distance (I.E. outside the
    || camera).

    There may be a problem with static build up using a
    vacuum cleaner. Static can harm or degrade
    electronic components.

    Then again it may not be an issue.

    BJ
    --
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
    come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the
    BJ in Texas, Sep 9, 2005
  9. David Bindle

    tbm Guest

    Re: Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

    The cleaner will be clamped outside the lens aperture, several centimetres
    from the sensor, the idea being to draw >displaced dust away from the area -
    >would you please expand on your comment?

    >Deep.

    may well be the case.but think of it if things go wrong!ie you blow all sorts of shit in to the camera body.as stated
    before...forget about the vc! artist's brush rubbing gently on the sensor followed by vigouris blowing with a good blower
    brush...without the brush attached.nead i say any more?rgds to all.....TBM.
    tbm, Sep 9, 2005
  10. David Bindle

    ½ Confused Guest

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:53:25 -0600
    In message <dfs44m$un7$>
    "David Bindle" <> wrote:

    > http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/

    Yup... that's something on the sensor filter thingy. I just had mine
    cleaned by Canon Irvine and it came back with all the old spots gone,
    and a new one just left and down from center. :(

    Jeff
    ½ Confused, Sep 10, 2005
  11. David Bindle

    Stacey Guest

    David Bindle wrote:

    > It doesn't matter if I
    > change lenses...

    Sure it does, it just get's more of them!

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Sep 10, 2005
  12. David Bindle

    Mark² Guest

    Deep Reset wrote:
    > "David Bindle" <> wrote in message
    >> I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my
    >> pictures. (It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some)
    >> To check this out further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue
    >> sky I could find. (There
    >> are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
    >> The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if
    >> I change lenses... it's still there.
    >> Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The
    >> lens was focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the
    >> sensor, it would
    >> be more in focus.
    >>
    >> http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/
    >>
    >> and no... its not a UFO
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >> David

    > I don't think there's such a thing as "just" dust on a sensor :-(
    >
    > I've just spotted some on my *stDS's

    If you've got STDs, then you really should visit your local clinic...
    :)
    Mark², Sep 10, 2005
  13. David Bindle

    Steve Davies Guest

    In article <dfs44m$un7$>,
    "David Bindle" <> wrote:

    ___I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
    ___(It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
    ___further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find. (There
    ___are still a few wisps of cloud visible).

    Check out

    http://www.visibledust.com/index.html

    Steve
    Steve Davies, Sep 11, 2005
  14. David Bindle

    Chris Guest

    Re: Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

    Keep in mind that the vaccuum also has an exit blowing dust around
    that will stay suspended in air even when you are complete.

    Chris, Sep 16, 2005