Is this good buy from Aldi

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Peter Clements, Jan 5, 2010.

  1. Peter Clements, Jan 5, 2010

  2. Peter Clements

    OldGringo38 Guest

    OldGringo38, Jan 6, 2010

  3. Peter Clements

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:

    http://www.aldifoods.com/index_ENU_HTML.htm

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Jan 6, 2010
  4. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:40:42 -0600, OldGringo38
    <> wrote:

    >In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >Two Cents To The Peter Clements Post:
    >> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    >> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >>
    >> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    >That would be an overkill for my use. <g>

    Yes me too probably but it could be useful in the future if it is good
    value?

    Peter Clements, Jan 6, 2010
  5. "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:40:42 -0600, OldGringo38
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>Two Cents To The Peter Clements Post:
    >>> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    >>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >>>
    >>> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    >>That would be an overkill for my use. <g>

    > Damn,,, when I was in a US Aldi's last all they sold were groceries.

    Well apparently a lot of computers keep freezing these days ..

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Jan 6, 2010
  6. Peter Clements

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:55:41 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

    >Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    >http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >
    >So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    You are right, does look good for 1TB disk, 4GB RAM and Nvidia 512MB
    vid. I just spent GBP550 each on a Dell Inspiron 570 with AMD Quad core,
    8GB and almost the same video and a Dell T105 server with RAID
    controller as extra.

    Nowdays I would have perhaps liked 2 x 500GB disks for RAID, but a 2nd
    1TB isn't too much to buy another.

    Could have got 3 of these instead.

    Me

    why?, Jan 6, 2010
  7. Peter Clements

    Old Codger Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:
    > Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >
    > So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    Looks good to me and the Aldi Medion computers are usually reliable.

    A word of warning if you do intend to purchase. Individual Aldi stores
    sometimes do not have very many units. The last twice I have tried they
    had 6 and 5 respectively. The process of getting your hands on one can
    also vary. On the first occasion a member of staff appeared at the door
    just before opening and issued 6 pieces of paper entitling the holder to
    buy one of the machines. I was number 7 in the queue that time. More
    recently I was first in the queue. Nobody appeared at the door so I
    assumed the machines would be on display along with the rest of the
    specials. Wrong, they were hidden in the stock room and had to be
    requested at the counter.

    Try to ascertain the procedure in your store.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Jan 6, 2010
  8. Peter Clements

    chuckcar Guest

    Peter Clements <> wrote in

    > Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04
    > -12-00
    >
    > So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    Won't say unless you can some how find out what the rating on the power
    supply is. That's the most common negative.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 6, 2010
  9. Peter Clements

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The philo Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Peter Clements Post:
    >>> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    >>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >>>

    >>> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    >> That would be an overkill for my use. <g>
    >>

    > also better than what I need
    >
    > but it does look like a good deal.
    >
    > FWIW: A while back some woman brought a computer to me to repair and she
    > told me she got it drom Aldi
    >
    > I was surprised to learn they sold more than groceries
    > and I was expecting it to be of poor quality...
    > but it was a very well made machine.
    >
    > Can't remember what kind of repair it needed but I am sure it was
    > something minor

    I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
    only, from Iowa. The OP is in Europe I think by the $ sign. So may
    not have that brand of computer here in the US. There is a monies
    exchange rate also to consider.

    OldGringo38, Jan 6, 2010
  10. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:12:05 -0600, OldGringo38
    <> wrote:

    >In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >Two Cents To The philo Post:
    >> OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The Peter Clements Post:

    >>> That would be an overkill for my use. <g>
    >>>

    >> also better than what I need
    >>
    >> but it does look like a good deal.
    >>
    >> FWIW: A while back some woman brought a computer to me to repair and she
    >> told me she got it drom Aldi
    >>
    >> I was surprised to learn they sold more than groceries
    >> and I was expecting it to be of poor quality...
    >> but it was a very well made machine.
    >>
    >> Can't remember what kind of repair it needed but I am sure it was
    >> something minor

    >I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
    >only, from Iowa. The OP is in Europe I think by the $ sign. So may
    >not have that brand of computer here in the US. There is a monies
    >exchange rate also to consider.

    According to google it costs about $560 but in the UK we do get ripped
    off regularly. Aldi is a German chain that together with Lidl, another
    German chain, is establishing a base where I live.

    Peter Clements, Jan 6, 2010
  11. Peter Clements

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Peter Clements Post:
    > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:12:05 -0600, OldGringo38
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The philo Post:

    >>> also better than what I need
    >>>
    >>> but it does look like a good deal.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW: A while back some woman brought a computer to me to repair and she
    >>> told me she got it drom Aldi
    >>>
    >>> I was surprised to learn they sold more than groceries
    >>> and I was expecting it to be of poor quality...
    >>> but it was a very well made machine.
    >>>
    >>> Can't remember what kind of repair it needed but I am sure it was
    >>> something minor

    >> I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
    >> only, from Iowa. The OP is in Europe I think by the $ sign. So may
    >> not have that brand of computer here in the US. There is a monies
    >> exchange rate also to consider.

    > According to google it costs about $560 but in the UK we do get ripped
    > off regularly. Aldi is a German chain that together with Lidl, another
    > German chain, is establishing a base where I live.

    Hey thanks for the info, much appreciated.

    OldGringo38, Jan 6, 2010
  12. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:17:16 -0600, philo <> wrote:

    >OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    >> Cents To The Peter Clements Post:
    >>> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    >>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >>>

    >>> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    >> That would be an overkill for my use. <g>
    >>

    >also better than what I need
    >
    >but it does look like a good deal.
    >
    >FWIW: A while back some woman brought a computer to me to repair and she
    >told me she got it drom Aldi
    >
    >I was surprised to learn they sold more than groceries
    >and I was expecting it to be of poor quality...
    >but it was a very well made machine.
    >
    >Can't remember what kind of repair it needed but I am sure it was
    >something minor

    Aldi has a good reputation but other posters have made me realise I do
    not need anything so powerful.

    Peter Clements, Jan 6, 2010
  13. Peter Clements

    Old Codger Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:

    > I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
    > only, from Iowa.

    It is a German chain that is establishing itself in the UK at the
    cheaper end of the market. Their hardware specials, tools, computers,
    cameras, etc. are usually good value and reasonable quality. Their
    computers and peripherals are made by Medion, another German firm.
    Cameras are made by Tevion (a division of Medion?).

    I have, over the years, bought two computers two camera, one hard disk,
    a number of USB hubs and a card reader/usb hub, a graphics tablet, a
    surround sound speaker system, and probably much else, oh and a 2KVA
    generator. All have given good service. One camera failed after around
    two years. Replaced by the manufacturer under guarantee without question.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Jan 6, 2010
  14. Peter Clements

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Old Codger Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
    >> only, from Iowa.

    > It is a German chain that is establishing itself in the UK at the
    > cheaper end of the market. Their hardware specials, tools, computers,
    > cameras, etc. are usually good value and reasonable quality. Their
    > computers and peripherals are made by Medion, another German firm.
    > Cameras are made by Tevion (a division of Medion?).
    >
    > I have, over the years, bought two computers two camera, one hard disk,
    > a number of USB hubs and a card reader/usb hub, a graphics tablet, a
    > surround sound speaker system, and probably much else, oh and a 2KVA
    > generator. All have given good service. One camera failed after around
    > two years. Replaced by the manufacturer under guarantee without question.

    It is nice when you have a business you feel good about.

    OldGringo38, Jan 6, 2010
  15. Peter Clements

    Old Codger Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    > Cents To The Old Codger Post:
    >> OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
    >>> only, from Iowa.

    >> It is a German chain that is establishing itself in the UK at the
    >> cheaper end of the market. Their hardware specials, tools, computers,
    >> cameras, etc. are usually good value and reasonable quality. Their
    >> computers and peripherals are made by Medion, another German firm.
    >> Cameras are made by Tevion (a division of Medion?).
    >>
    >> I have, over the years, bought two computers two camera, one hard
    >> disk, a number of USB hubs and a card reader/usb hub, a graphics
    >> tablet, a surround sound speaker system, and probably much else, oh
    >> and a 2KVA generator. All have given good service. One camera failed
    >> after around two years. Replaced by the manufacturer under guarantee
    >> without question.
    >>

    > It is nice when you have a business you feel good about.

    Indeed, but I only go there for the specials. The wife shops in Tesco,
    Sainsbury and Morrisons. Aldi is very popular though for groceries.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Jan 6, 2010
  16. Peter Clements

    PeeCee Guest

    "Peter Clements" <> wrote in message
    > Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >
    > So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    mmmm I'd be looking at the hidden specs.

    eg what brand / model motherboard
    Maximum RAM
    Power supply wattage.
    How good is the video card
    How solid is the case.
    ????????

    Couple of things I've noticed is the bare minimum number of I/O ports and
    the video card is no fireball.
    (Tomshardware.com: "Newly emerged are the GeForce GT 220 and GeForce G210,
    which are on the more modest side of speed" )
    Toms Hardware also mention they are OEM 'only' cards.
    This means they are built to have the magic numbers for the sales promo
    stickers, but in reality they have little meat and don't perform like the
    numbers would suggest.

    Anther observation I would make is the uselessness of the hot swap media
    bays.
    HP equipped their Multi Media machines a while ago with one of those.
    Never saw many people make practical use of them.
    Sure if you're into a lot of High resolution Video editing they would make
    sense.
    But then you're not going to be using a mid / low priced PC for such a
    demanding task as video editing are you.

    With this PC I would suggest the bean counters have upped the numbers on
    items that are cheap to increase.
    ie going from 2 to 4GB RAM and 500 to 1000GB hard drive doesn't cost a lot
    in cash.
    But putting in a better motherboard with more RAM capacity and other
    facilities instead for the same money doesn't 'look' as good a value to the
    buyer.
    Take of the cost of 2GB of RAM and a smaller (500GB) hard drive of the 349
    price and then look at if it's 'good' value compared to other PC's with the
    same (lower) spec.

    Starting with a better motherboard & power supply means going to (say)16GB
    RAM and a 2.5TB drive in (say) 2 years time is a practical upgrade option.
    Trying to give a mid life upgrade to a PC with a cheap motherboard and weak
    power supply on the other hand is simply not practical.
    (eg the motherboard may only support 4GB max anyway)

    Hey at the end of the day it's your money and the spec may suit you just
    fine, just don't expect a 'bargain' from a Supermarket chain.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 7, 2010
  17. On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:55:50 +1300, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"Peter Clements" <> wrote in message
    >> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
    >> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-04-12-00
    >>
    >> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

    >mmmm I'd be looking at the hidden specs.
    >
    >eg what brand / model motherboard
    >Maximum RAM
    >Power supply wattage.
    >How good is the video card
    >How solid is the case.
    >????????
    >
    >Couple of things I've noticed is the bare minimum number of I/O ports and
    >the video card is no fireball.
    >(Tomshardware.com: "Newly emerged are the GeForce GT 220 and GeForce G210,
    >which are on the more modest side of speed" )
    >Toms Hardware also mention they are OEM 'only' cards.
    >This means they are built to have the magic numbers for the sales promo
    >stickers, but in reality they have little meat and don't perform like the
    >numbers would suggest.
    >
    >Anther observation I would make is the uselessness of the hot swap media
    >bays.
    >HP equipped their Multi Media machines a while ago with one of those.
    >Never saw many people make practical use of them.
    >Sure if you're into a lot of High resolution Video editing they would make
    >sense.
    >But then you're not going to be using a mid / low priced PC for such a
    >demanding task as video editing are you.
    >
    >With this PC I would suggest the bean counters have upped the numbers on
    >items that are cheap to increase.
    >ie going from 2 to 4GB RAM and 500 to 1000GB hard drive doesn't cost a lot
    >in cash.
    >But putting in a better motherboard with more RAM capacity and other
    >facilities instead for the same money doesn't 'look' as good a value to the
    >buyer.
    >Take of the cost of 2GB of RAM and a smaller (500GB) hard drive of the 349
    >price and then look at if it's 'good' value compared to other PC's with the
    >same (lower) spec.
    >
    >Starting with a better motherboard & power supply means going to (say)16GB
    >RAM and a 2.5TB drive in (say) 2 years time is a practical upgrade option.
    >Trying to give a mid life upgrade to a PC with a cheap motherboard and weak
    >power supply on the other hand is simply not practical.
    >(eg the motherboard may only support 4GB max anyway)
    >
    >Hey at the end of the day it's your money and the spec may suit you just
    >fine, just don't expect a 'bargain' from a Supermarket chain.

    Thanks Paul for your insight. I have decided not to buy one and just
    stick with what I have as they seem to be running well now.

    Peter Clements, Jan 7, 2010