Is this For Real?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rutgar, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    Rutgar, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Rutgar

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Found this link on another group. This has got to be a scam.
    >
    > http://yourownbigscreen.com
    >
    > - Rutgar

    This is no scam.

    You really can have "a 150-INCH BIG SCREEN TV -- for less than $30."

    However, for best viewing results, you will need some X-Ray Glasses:

    http://www.gagworks.com/gwp_0500.htm
    Scot Gardner, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Rutgar

    Jay G Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote ...
    > "Rutgar" <> wrote...
    > > Found this link on another group. This has got to be a scam.
    > >
    > > http://yourownbigscreen.com

    > This is no scam.
    >
    > You really can have "a 150-INCH BIG SCREEN TV -- for less than $30."
    >
    > However, for best viewing results, you will need some X-Ray Glasses:
    >
    > http://www.gagworks.com/gwp_0500.htm

    At least the X-Ray specs have truth in advertising:

    "Makes you *think* you see the bones in your hand!"

    -Jay
    Jay G, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Rutgar

    Dark Angel Guest

    I've seen these before, these are essentially just a big magnifying glass
    that you stick in front of your TV.

    http://www.swretail.fsnet.co.uk/it280001.jpg

    Lektropacks used to sell them, although somehow I doubt you get the same
    quality looking at a normal screen through a big maginfying glass as you
    would with a proper projection/plasmaTV.

    --
    Best Wishes
    Simon (aka Dark Angel)
    Dark Angel, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Rutgar

    Ocelot Guest

    Rutgar <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Found this link on another group. This has got to be a scam.
    >
    > http://yourownbigscreen.com

    Well, it's technology that's been around for at least 50 years in the
    form of Fresnel lenses and overhead projectors. It's just a pair of
    lenses set up -- one to flip the image and another to increase the
    size. Let's not worry out heads about such things as contrast,
    convergence, and control of ambient light ("What? I hae to buy
    curtains TOO? This is going to cost me *35* dollars now!").

    Who cares what it runs like, or even works at all as long as it has
    the semblence of looking at least somewhat like a Porsche, right?

    Of course if you LIKE seeing pixels ment for a 13" TV blown up to 100"
    on your wall you can send them 3 sawbucks. I'm sure the people buying
    $7 Apex DVD players at the grocery store checkout beside the Juicy
    Fruit rack would make this a hit. :)

    Regards,
    Rob S.
    Ocelot, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Rutgar

    huhha Guest

    I too was baffled until I researched more into into it.
    The conclusion is that don't be suckered into this crap. This has been
    widely auctioned on eBay to unsuspecting bidders and DIYers.
    The setup requires you to basically use your tv set as the "projector", and
    put a fresnel lens (used in overhead projectors) infront of it between the
    screen. By moving the lens and tv set you can basically enlarge a
    "projected" image on your wall or screen.
    Of course all this will have to be done in a VERY VERY darkened room.

    Words of advice that is always true: "If it is too good to be true, it is
    so."

    huhha, Dec 8, 2003