    I still have a couple of programs that refuse to run with XP.
    It wouldn't be used very but would be handy if possible.

    SJH
    Rednose, May 10, 2005

  2. Rednose

    Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:14:24 +0100, Rednose
    <> wrote:

    |>I have an old unused PC with Windows 98 installed.
    |>Can I take the hard drive from this and add it as a second drive on my
    |>current PC(XP).
    |>And then could I boot to it from the boot options?
    |>I still have a couple of programs that refuse to run with XP.
    |>It wouldn't be used very but would be handy if possible.

    Without a lot of work, no. Work meaning a boot program, but your just
    asking for problems.

    Win98 needs to be your C:\ drive; you can make this drive master and
    the XP slave (then run the fixboot from the XP cd). Some programs in
    the program files /might/ not work right due to the change.

    Win98 will expect find things by the path C:\Folder\File, XP uses the
    %systemroot%\Folder\File path and easier to move from partition to
    partition

    --
    , May 10, 2005

  3. Rednose

    philo Guest

    Rednose wrote:
    > I have an old unused PC with Windows 98 installed.
    > Can I take the hard drive from this and add it as a second drive on my
    > current PC(XP).
    > And then could I boot to it from the boot options?
    > I still have a couple of programs that refuse to run with XP.
    > It wouldn't be used very but would be handy if possible.
    >
    > SJH

    you can boot to it if your bios
    supports choice of boot HD
    philo, May 10, 2005
  4. Rednose

    Rob K Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:14:24 +0100, Rednose wrote:

    > Can I take the hard drive from this and add it as a second drive on my
    > current PC(XP).

    Normally, yes.

    > And then could I boot to it from the boot options?

    No.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/management/mltiboot.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=add win98 to xp installation

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.
    Rob K, May 10, 2005
  5. Rednose

    old jon Guest

    Have you tried with the old programs that don`t run, to run them in
    Compatibility mode ?. Right click on the exe, select properties, and set
    them to run in an earlier mode. You should be able to install your old drive
    as a slave device, but you won`t then be able to Run programs from it. best
    wishes..J

    old jon, May 11, 2005