Is this ebay

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hope mkhumba, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. hope mkhumba

    hope mkhumba Guest

    Dear Ebay user,
    Dear valued eBay member, It has come to our attention that your eBay Billing
    Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing
    Information If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online
    experience and update your billing records, you will not run into any future
    problems with eBay's online service. However, failure to update your records
    will result in account termination. Please update your records in maximum 24
    hours. Once you have updated your account records, your eBay session will
    not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will
    result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or
    future billing problems.
    Please click here to update your billing records.
    http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019

    Thank you for your time!
    Marry Kimmel,
    eBay Billing Department team.

    As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you
    information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy
    and User Agreement if you have any questions.

    Copyright 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective
    owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc

    Announcements | Register | SafeHarbor (Rules & Safety) | Feedback
    Forum | About eBay
    I'm getting a lot of spam from my ntl email. I have web page down here
    and it's contents nearly the same with ebay.

    Copyright © 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective
    owners.
    Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement
    and Privacy Policy.

    hope mkhumba, Apr 25, 2004

  2. hope mkhumba

    one_red_eye Guest

    one_red_eye, Apr 25, 2004

  3. hope mkhumba

    SlowRyde Guest

    http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

    SlowRyde, Apr 25, 2004
  4. hope mkhumba

    one_red_eye Guest

    "hope mkhumba" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Ebay user,
    > Dear valued eBay member, It has come to our attention that your eBay

    Billing
    > Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the

    Billing
    > Information If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online
    > experience and update your billing records, you will not run into any

    future
    > problems with eBay's online service. However, failure to update your

    records
    > will result in account termination. Please update your records in maximum

    24
    > hours. Once you have updated your account records, your eBay session will
    > not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will
    > result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or
    > future billing problems.
    > Please click here to update your billing records.
    > http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019
    >
    > Thank you for your time!
    > Marry Kimmel,
    > eBay Billing Department team.
    >

    > As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you
    > information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy
    > and User Agreement if you have any questions.
    >
    > Copyright 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    > Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective
    > owners.
    > eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc

    > Announcements | Register | SafeHarbor (Rules & Safety) |

    Feedback
    > Forum | About eBay
    > I'm getting a lot of spam from my ntl email. I have web page down

    here
    > and it's contents nearly the same with ebay.
    >

    > Copyright © 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    > Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their

    respective
    > owners.
    > Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User

    Agreement
    > and Privacy Policy.

    Ebay doesn't do that... Cancel accounts because they're "out of date."

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 25, 2004
  5. hope mkhumba

    trout Guest

    hope mkhumba wrote:

    > Dear Ebay user,
    > Dear valued eBay member, It has come to our attention that your eBay
    > Billing Information records are out of date.

    <snip the phish>

    Just click "Foward"; and send it on to
    .
    --
    "They're quite happy to deal with these."

    trout, Apr 25, 2004
  6. trout wrote:
    > hope mkhumba wrote:

    >> Dear Ebay user,
    >> Dear valued eBay member, It has come to our attention that your eBay
    >> Billing Information records are out of date.

    ><snip the phish>

    > Just click "Foward"; and send it on to
    > .

    Done...but what's the idiot that posted it getting out of it? I can't
    figure out motivation, here. I don't see a redirect.

    --
    Blinky Linux Register User 4892F
    AOL Diary: (New 4/22) http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 25, 2004
  7. hope mkhumba

    trout Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> hope mkhumba wrote:

    >>> Dear Ebay user,
    >>> Dear valued eBay member, It has come to our attention that your eBay
    >>> Billing Information records are out of date.

    >> <snip the phish>

    >> Just click "Foward"; and send it on to
    >> .

    > Done...but what's the idiot that posted it getting out of it? I can't
    > figure out motivation, here. I don't see a redirect.

    First of all; whoops. I mixed my phishes. Should have said
    .
    Presumably, the poster has received this as email, and *was*
    wondering if it was legit (just to be clear on that).
    How the redirect works, or how the page is made to appear to be part
    of the Ebay domain.... I ain't the guy to ask. That phish page was down
    by the time I looked, but I've looked at similar ones linked to fakes in
    my Hotmail account, as well as 'Paypal' sites (I don't have accounts
    with either).
    The better ones *are* dead ringers for the real deal, right down to
    the logos and disclaimers; and it's not hard to see how so many people
    have been suckered into entering sensitive account information.
    --
    "Although you'd think the word was getting around by now."

    trout, Apr 25, 2004
  8. "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote
    > Done...but what's the idiot that posted it getting out of it? I can't
    > figure out motivation, here. I don't see a redirect.

    Easily done.

    <A href='http://www.spoofsite.com/'>http://www.eBay.com</A>

    Experienced but Undocumented, Apr 25, 2004
  9. trout wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> trout wrote:

    >>> <snip the phish>

    >>> Just click "Foward"; and send it on to
    >>> .

    >> Done...but what's the idiot that posted it getting out of it? I can't
    >> figure out motivation, here. I don't see a redirect.

    > First of all; whoops. I mixed my phishes. Should have said
    > .

    I sent there, and to paypal, just to cover all bases. I think eBay owns
    PP now, anyway.

    > Presumably, the poster has received this as email, and *was*
    > wondering if it was legit (just to be clear on that).

    Poster didn't ask. Poster just pasted. So poster still idiot. :)

    > How the redirect works, or how the page is made to appear to be part
    > of the Ebay domain.... I ain't the guy to ask. That phish page was down
    > by the time I looked, but I've looked at similar ones linked to fakes in
    > my Hotmail account, as well as 'Paypal' sites (I don't have accounts
    > with either).
    > The better ones *are* dead ringers for the real deal, right down to
    > the logos and disclaimers; and it's not hard to see how so many people
    > have been suckered into entering sensitive account information.

    I didn't see any redirect obfuscation in the URL. I'm no guru on that,
    but I don't know how a string of digits appended to a pp URL would
    accomplish that. Maybe someone else can explain? <--question :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 25, 2004
  10. Experienced but Undocumented wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote
    >> Done...but what's the idiot that posted it getting out of it? I can't
    >> figure out motivation, here. I don't see a redirect.

    > Easily done.

    ><A href='http://www.spoofsite.com/'>http://www.eBay.com</A>

    Well duh. Now, how does that relate to the URL I'm talking about, which
    had a form nothing like that one?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 25, 2004
  11. hope mkhumba

    Penguin Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > trout wrote:
    > > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > >> Done...but what's the idiot that posted it getting out of it? I can't
    > >> figure out motivation, here. I don't see a redirect.

    > > First of all; whoops. I mixed my phishes. Should have said
    > > .

    > I sent there, and to paypal, just to cover all bases. I think eBay owns
    > PP now, anyway.
    >
    > > Presumably, the poster has received this as email, and *was*
    > > wondering if it was legit (just to be clear on that).

    > Poster didn't ask. Poster just pasted. So poster still idiot. :)
    >
    > > How the redirect works, or how the page is made to appear to be part
    > > of the Ebay domain.... I ain't the guy to ask. That phish page was down
    > > by the time I looked, but I've looked at similar ones linked to fakes in
    > > my Hotmail account, as well as 'Paypal' sites (I don't have accounts
    > > with either).
    > > The better ones *are* dead ringers for the real deal, right down to
    > > the logos and disclaimers; and it's not hard to see how so many people
    > > have been suckered into entering sensitive account information.

    > I didn't see any redirect obfuscation in the URL. I'm no guru on that,
    > but I don't know how a string of digits appended to a pp URL would
    > accomplish that. Maybe someone else can explain? <--question :)
    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux Register User 4892F
    > AOL Diary: (New 4/22) http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    > Nigerian Scam From Space http://snipurl.com/iss419
    > New Windows - Don't Wait For Longhorn! http://snipurl.com/newwin

    There is a fairly easy method (which I'm not going to disclose for obvious
    reasons) to hide the end of a URL from both outlook and internet explorer.
    Using this flaw, and the use of subdomains, the site
    www.ebay.com.mydomain.com can be presented in such a way as to hide the end
    of the URL and appear as www.ebay.com even though the page is actually
    hosted at mydomain.com. The clue is the unusual string appended to the URL.
    Microsoft are yet to release a patch for this, and the only solution is not
    to use hyperlinks. If you receive a mail with a link in it, then open IE and
    type the URL in the address bar yourself. Obviously this totally defeats the
    whole point of HTTP, but what can you do?

    Microsoft's explanation can be found here
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833786 This is a legitimate URL, but
    please, now's a good time to start, TYPE it into IE, and stop clicking on
    links until Microsoft pull their finger out.

    Penguin, Apr 25, 2004
  12. hope mkhumba

    ProfGene Guest

    This is what is known as a schwimmer scam. It presents an authentic looking
    website in an attempt to clean you out of all your money by asking questions
    that a responsible company would never send you through an unsolicited
    email. It is one of latest scams going and catches quite a few unsuspecting
    people off guard. There is another one using Paypal and probably a number
    of others. Report it to the government fraud site.

    ProfGene, Apr 25, 2004
  13. Penguin wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> trout wrote:

    >> > First of all; whoops. I mixed my phishes. Should have said
    >> > .

    >> I sent there, and to paypal, just to cover all bases. I think eBay owns
    >> PP now, anyway.

    >> > Presumably, the poster has received this as email, and *was*
    >> > wondering if it was legit (just to be clear on that).

    >> Poster didn't ask. Poster just pasted. So poster still idiot. :)

    >> > How the redirect works, or how the page is made to appear to be part
    >> > of the Ebay domain.... I ain't the guy to ask. That phish page was down
    >> > by the time I looked, but I've looked at similar ones linked to fakes in
    >> > my Hotmail account, as well as 'Paypal' sites (I don't have accounts
    >> > with either).
    >> > The better ones *are* dead ringers for the real deal, right down to
    >> > the logos and disclaimers; and it's not hard to see how so many people
    >> > have been suckered into entering sensitive account information.

    >> I didn't see any redirect obfuscation in the URL. I'm no guru on that,
    >> but I don't know how a string of digits appended to a pp URL would
    >> accomplish that. Maybe someone else can explain? <--question :)

    > There is a fairly easy method (which I'm not going to disclose for obvious
    > reasons) to hide the end of a URL from both outlook and internet explorer.

    So you're saying (there and below) that

    http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019

    which is the URL I'm addressing is only what the person who pasted the email
    to this newsgroup *saw* in his/her MS application, and thus it - *as we
    see it here and as I'm addressing* - does NOT redirect. And that if the
    *complete* URL - including the part not passed on to us, here - was clicked in
    that MS application, *that's* where/how the redirection is accomplished?

    Because that's been my assumption all along -- that the URL *we saw in
    the OP, here in this group - was *not* redirecting to any scam site.
    Thus my question -- how can just that string "%...9" accomplish a
    redirect.

    If I'm reading you correctly, it *can't*, as it doesn't present us with
    the trickery that MS crap would be responding to if the *original*
    *full* link was clicked.

    > Using this flaw, and the use of subdomains, the site
    > www.ebay.com.mydomain.com can be presented in such a way as to hide the end
    > of the URL and appear as www.ebay.com even though the page is actually
    > hosted at mydomain.com. The clue is the unusual string appended to the URL.
    > Microsoft are yet to release a patch for this, and the only solution is not
    > to use hyperlinks. If you receive a mail with a link in it, then open IE and
    > type the URL in the address bar yourself. Obviously this totally defeats the
    > whole point of HTTP, but what can you do?

    > Microsoft's explanation can be found here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833786 This is a legitimate URL, but
    > please, now's a good time to start, TYPE it into IE, and stop clicking on
    > links until Microsoft pull their finger out.

    ....and don't see where that page explains how:

    http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019

    redirects to another site.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 25, 2004
  14. hope mkhumba

    trout Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    <snip>

    > So you're saying (there and below) that
    >
    > http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019
    >
    > which is the URL I'm addressing is only what the person who pasted
    > the email to this newsgroup *saw* in his/her MS application, and thus
    > it - *as we
    > see it here and as I'm addressing* - does NOT redirect. And that if
    > the
    > *complete* URL - including the part not passed on to us, here - was
    > clicked in that MS application, *that's* where/how the redirection is
    > accomplished?

    That'd be my guess. If he C&P'd the entire email (as opposed to
    using Copy Shortcut), the result would only be what was visible to the
    poster. The redirect would be 'lost'.
    --
    "To make a long story short(er)."

    trout, Apr 25, 2004
  15. trout wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    ><snip>

    >> So you're saying (there and below) that

    >> http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019

    >> which is the URL I'm addressing is only what the person who pasted
    >> the email to this newsgroup *saw* in his/her MS application, and thus
    >> it - *as we
    >> see it here and as I'm addressing* - does NOT redirect. And that if
    >> the
    >> *complete* URL - including the part not passed on to us, here - was
    >> clicked in that MS application, *that's* where/how the redirection is
    >> accomplished?

    > That'd be my guess. If he C&P'd the entire email (as opposed to
    > using Copy Shortcut), the result would only be what was visible to the
    > poster. The redirect would be 'lost'.

    Thanks, trout.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 25, 2004
  16. hope mkhumba

    doS Guest

    No it isn't.

    doS, Apr 26, 2004
  17. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > trout wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >><snip>

    >>> So you're saying (there and below) that

    >>> http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019

    >>> which is the URL I'm addressing is only what the person who pasted
    >>> the email to this newsgroup *saw* in his/her MS application, and
    >>> thus it - *as we see it here and as I'm addressing* - does NOT
    >>> redirect. And that if the *complete* URL - including the part not
    >>> passed on to us, here - was clicked in that MS application, *that's*
    >>> where/how the redirection is accomplished?

    >> That'd be my guess. If he C&P'd the entire email (as opposed to
    >> using Copy Shortcut), the result would only be what was visible
    >> to the poster. The redirect would be 'lost'.

    > Thanks, trout.

    <piggybacking my own post> Oink!

    Doh! I only now noticed that the OP was *asking* if that was a real eBay
    email. Between the lack of a question mark in the Subject, and having
    nothing but the paste of the email in the post, I thought he/she/it was
    trying to *broadcast* the spoof. That's why I couldn't figure out what
    good it would do him/her/it since the URL included wasn't a cloaked
    redirection. The answer was "none", and now I know why it was posted.
    :)

    I *wondered* why a couple of posters responded to *my* question with
    semi-patronizing answers about it being a spoof, as if *I* didn't
    realize that, without addressing my question.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 26, 2004