    I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    not the lens.

    This is a 20D.

    SMS, Jun 25, 2008

  2. SMS

    Paul Furman Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > "http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >
    > I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    > not the lens.
    >
    > This is a 20D.

    Yes, that definitely looks like sensor dust. I'd recommend a large
    rubber bulb blower such as the 'rocket' blower, then a brush, a cheap
    nylon makeup brush works for me, then wet cleaning if it still needs it.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 25, 2008

  3. SMS

    Scott W Guest

    On Jun 24, 1:54 pm, SMS <> wrote:
    > "http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >
    > I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    > not the lens.
    >
    > This is a 20D.

    It sure looks like dust. A quick test is to take a photo of the sky
    with the lens wide open and another with it closed down, if it is dust
    it will show up in the photo with the lens closed down much more then
    when it is wide open.

    Dust has to be pretty bad to show up below f/8 or so, at f/22 a sensor
    has to be very clean not to show some dust.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 25, 2008
  4. SMS

    Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:54:52 -0700, in rec.photo.digital SMS
    <> wrote:

    >"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >
    >I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    >not the lens.

    Sheesh, are you sure you couldn't post a smaller more heavily artifacted
    pic to try to make an assessment from? Dust, I don't think so. Looks like a
    round loop of trash, probably from velcro. I think I may see a few more,
    but's its hard to tell given this pic.

    , Jun 25, 2008
  5. me wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:54:52 -0700, in rec.photo.digital SMS
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >>
    >>I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    >>not the lens.

    > Sheesh, are you sure you couldn't post a smaller more heavily artifacted
    > pic to try to make an assessment from? Dust, I don't think so. Looks like a
    > round loop of trash, probably from velcro. I think I may see a few more,
    > but's its hard to tell given this pic.

    At least he's not submitting it to UFO sites. Okay, yes, that's just an
    assumption. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2008
  6. SMS

    Mark Thomas Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > "http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >
    > I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    > not the lens.
    >
    > This is a 20D.

    I find this posting extremely puzzling (says he, slightly tongue in
    cheek), as it appears to be from the same guy who used to be extremely
    opinionated in regard to his choice of which cameras would suit
    *everyone*, and continually pointed them to his (highly unbiased (grin))
    site.. wasn't it dslrinfo.com? Yes, I'm sure that was a Mr Scharfe, but
    perhaps he can correct me..

    Anyway, I find it astonishing that a person who proclaimed such an
    intimate knowledge of the DSLR industry cannot tell what is dust on a
    sensor, and posts a tiny little pic to try to get help with same...

    But to answer the question, my opinion is yes, of course it is dust, if
    it appears on many pictures. I wonder what else he thought it might be?
    Some sort of large scale fuzzy pixel defect?

    And yes, if it appears no matter what lens, I reckon *I too* (after some
    careful consideration and a few sleepless nights), would eliminate the
    lens as the problem...

    (O:

    Mark Thomas, Jun 25, 2008
  7. SMS

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Correction - it was digitalslrinfo.com Re: Is this dust on thesensor? (image link)

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > wasn't it dslrinfo.com?

    Sorry, it was actually http://digitalslrinfo.com/.

    But I wouldn't bother visiting as he seems to have abandoned it in
    2006... With good reason, imo.

    Mark Thomas, Jun 25, 2008
  8. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > SMS wrote:
    >> "http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >>
    >> I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    >> not the lens.
    >>
    >> This is a 20D.

    > Yes, that definitely looks like sensor dust. I'd recommend a large
    > rubber bulb blower such as the 'rocket' blower, then a brush, a cheap
    > nylon makeup brush works for me, then wet cleaning if it still needs it.

    I tried the blower, to no effect, which is why I wasn't sure if it was
    dust or not. I'm going to take it in to the local (only) real camera
    store to get it cleaned, as I'm not comfortable doing a wet cleaning
    myself. They charge $45, and they do a large number of cleanings (they
    said that they're backed up for a week with sensor cleanings).

    SMS, Jun 25, 2008
  9. SMS

    SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:54:52 -0700, in rec.photo.digital SMS
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >>
    >> I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    >> not the lens.

    > Sheesh, are you sure you couldn't post a smaller more heavily artifacted
    > pic to try to make an assessment from? Dust, I don't think so. Looks like a
    > round loop of trash, probably from velcro. I think I may see a few more,
    > but's its hard to tell given this pic.

    Sorry, tinypic does that. You can see the full-resolution version at
    "http://nordicgroup.us/depicsforjulie/IMG_2729.JPG"

    SMS, Jun 25, 2008
  10. SMS

    Guest

    This is a little OT but, were you shooting for the condos or the Moon
    in this shot?

    , Jun 25, 2008
  11. The airplane.

    Casual Observer, Jun 25, 2008
  12. Looks like dust or dried water spots to me and there are many such spots visible in the blue sky. If a blower doesn't remove them a wet cleaning is in order.

    Casual Observer, Jun 25, 2008
  13. SMS

    Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 02:58:29 -0700, in rec.photo.digital SMS
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:54:52 -0700, in rec.photo.digital SMS
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >>>
    >>> I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    >>> not the lens.

    >> Sheesh, are you sure you couldn't post a smaller more heavily artifacted
    >> pic to try to make an assessment from? Dust, I don't think so. Looks like a
    >> round loop of trash, probably from velcro. I think I may see a few more,
    >> but's its hard to tell given this pic.

    >Sorry, tinypic does that. You can see the full-resolution version at
    >"http://nordicgroup.us/depicsforjulie/IMG_2729.JPG"

    Looks like at least approaching a dozen spots in the original shot at
    f/16. I'd start with a blower, then a brush or I use a sensor pen and
    if needed wet cleaning with a pecpad and eclipse alcohol.

    , Jun 25, 2008
  14. SMS

    Marvin Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > "http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"
    >
    > I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
    > not the lens.
    >
    > This is a 20D.

    It could be a bad pixel.

    Marvin, Jun 25, 2008
  15. SMS

    SMS Guest

    lid wrote:
    > This is a little OT but, were you shooting for the condos or the Moon
    > in this shot?

    LOL, it was condos. It was for a campaign flier for a referendum to stop
    rezoning of land for condos. We won big time, and part of the reason was
    we came up with very good campaign material. We also sued the developers
    for their campaign tactics, and got one of the country's largest
    developers to pay us $55,000 in legal fees that we spent fighting them.

    SMS, Jun 25, 2008
  16. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > SMS wrote:
    >
    >> "http://nordicgroup.us/depicsforjulie/IMG_2729.JPG"

    > Several dust spots. Use a blower bulb. May take several tries to get
    > them all.

    Thanks. I tried a blower to no avail. Yesterday I brought it to the
    local professional camera store where they do a lot of sensor cleaning,
    and they said if they can't clean with a blower they'll do a wet
    cleaning. They charge $45.

    SMS, Jun 26, 2008
  17. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > This beats all hell out of spending $45 and not having my camera on hand.

    I picked it up yesterday. Two days wasn't bad. I was talking to the
    repair department person about what was done, and he said that most 20D
    cameras require wet cleaning of the sensor. I just wasn't comfortable
    doing a wet cleaning myself. They do a pre-test to check for the dust,
    and a post-test to ensure that the sensor is clean.

    SMS, Jun 28, 2008