    I've noticed that when she clicks the sign on button, it looks as if
    AOL is dialing a number (I can't remember) and it mentions something
    about TCP/IP. Shouldn't AOL be using the existing DSL connection?

    Mike S., May 12, 2006

  2. Mike S.

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 11 May 2006 22:25:50 -0700, "Mike S." <>
    wrote:

    >I'm asking this for my grandmother. She previously had dialup and
    >recently got DSL through Verizon/AOL. So when the computer and DSL
    >modem are on, she's already online - no need to dial a phone number.
    >
    >Since she's using AOL, is it connecting to AOL through the existing DSL
    >condition or is it using dialup in addition to DSL?
    >
    >I've noticed that when she clicks the sign on button, it looks as if
    >AOL is dialing a number (I can't remember) and it mentions something
    >about TCP/IP. Shouldn't AOL be using the existing DSL connection?

    TCP/IP means it's using the existing internet connection.

    To make sure, unplug the phone line.

    Even better, uninstall AOL.

    Evan Platt, May 12, 2006

  3. Mike S.

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:25:50 -0700, Mike S. wrote:

    > I'm asking this for my grandmother. She previously had dialup and recently
    > got DSL through Verizon/AOL. So when the computer and DSL modem are on,
    > she's already online - no need to dial a phone number.
    >
    > Since she's using AOL, is it connecting to AOL through the existing DSL
    > condition or is it using dialup in addition to DSL?
    >
    > I've noticed that when she clicks the sign on button, it looks as if AOL
    > is dialing a number (I can't remember) and it mentions something about
    > TCP/IP. Shouldn't AOL be using the existing DSL connection?

    Pick the phone up and see if the line is in use.

    Meat Plow, May 12, 2006
  4. Mike S.

    Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > I'm asking this for my grandmother. She previously had dialup and
    > recently got DSL through Verizon/AOL. So when the computer and DSL
    > modem are on, she's already online - no need to dial a phone number.
    >
    > Since she's using AOL, is it connecting to AOL through the existing DSL
    > condition or is it using dialup in addition to DSL?
    >
    > I've noticed that when she clicks the sign on button, it looks as if
    > AOL is dialing a number (I can't remember) and it mentions something
    > about TCP/IP. Shouldn't AOL be using the existing DSL connection?

    She should be connecting using her DSL line. On the sign-on screen
    directly below her screen name she will see her location. If it say
    "Home" she is probably still dialing up. It should say "Broadband",
    "TCP/IP", "Network" or something other than "Home". Their software
    will normally detect that their is a broadband connection. Did she
    previously have a dedicated line for her computer. I worked for AOL
    for over 9 years and would occasionally see people subscribe to a DSL
    on their home phone and not on the dedicated computer line. The phone
    company would not hesitat to charge for both.

    , May 12, 2006