is this doable? with VLANs 3750

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by NNTP, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. NNTP

    NNTP Guest

    we have 2 3750 switches and Linux box router A. here is what we are
    planning to implement.

    port 1234 are in vlan X and port 5678 and in vlanY

    1234 5678
    |||| ||||
    ----------
    switch A
    ----------

    9 (trunk port)
    \
    \ (fiber)
    \

    9 (trunk port)
    -----------
    switch B
    -----------
    |||| ||||
    1234 5678
    | |
    -------------
    router A
    -------------

    I want to create two vlans on switch A vlanX and vlanY then I want to
    route them via router A. There is no way that i can terminate the
    fiber onto router A.

    I thought aobut setting up a trunk port (port 9) then untagging vlans
    off (??) somehow on switch B and then route them on router A.

    is this even doable? I know the router-on-a stick would do this but
    that requires that I terminate fiber on routerA and that routerA
    understands Vlans right?

    anyone has any suggestions? - Thanks,
    NNTP, Sep 21, 2004

  2. NNTP

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, news8080
    @yahoo.com says...
    > we have 2 3750 switches and Linux box router A. here is what we are
    > planning to implement.
    >
    > port 1234 are in vlan X and port 5678 and in vlanY
    >

    > 1234 5678
    > |||| ||||
    > ----------
    > switch A
    > ----------
    > |
    > 9 (trunk port)
    > \
    > \ (fiber)
    > \
    > |
    > 9 (trunk port)
    > -----------
    > switch B
    > -----------
    > |||| ||||
    > 1234 5678
    > | |
    > -------------
    > router A
    > -------------
    >

    > I want to create two vlans on switch A vlanX and vlanY then I want to
    > route them via router A. There is no way that i can terminate the
    > fiber onto router A.
    >
    > I thought aobut setting up a trunk port (port 9) then untagging vlans
    > off (??) somehow on switch B and then route them on router A.
    >
    > is this even doable? I know the router-on-a stick would do this but
    > that requires that I terminate fiber on routerA and that routerA
    > understands Vlans right?

    If your router is not vlan capable, then you cannot do this. I take
    that back. Older switches were capable of belonging to more than one
    VLAN. If your switch is capable of multi-vlan (not dot1q tagging, just
    belonging to two vlans) then you can use secondary addressing on the
    router.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Sep 21, 2004

  3. NNTP

    NNTP Guest

    These are brand new 3750 switches that we just bought. They are
    running 12.1(19)EA1c. I can send you 'sh ver' if that helps. The
    router here is just a linux box.

    how do you mean "belonging to more than one VLAN". From little that I
    know about VLAN routing, I'd have to do the following to route between
    vlans (or do I??)

    1. on switchA, setup VTP server, setup vlanX and vlanY, then setup a
    trunk port (port 9)======fiber======(port 9 which is trunk port on
    switchB)

    2. switchB is configured as client and thus leans names of vlanX and
    vlanY, then I assign ports 1234 to vlanX and ports 5678 to vlanY on
    both switches manually.

    3. plug a cable from port 1 of switchB to router port eth0 and plug a
    cable from port 5 of switchB to router port eth1,

    won't that accomplish routing between them?

    NNTP, Sep 22, 2004
  4. NNTP

    Scooby Guest

    The 3750's are layer 3 switches. You don't need the router to route between
    the vlans. Just enable 'ip routing' on the 3750's and they will do it for
    you.

    Scooby, Sep 22, 2004
  5. NNTP

    AnyBody43 Guest

    (NNTP) wrote
    > These are brand new 3750 switches that we just bought. They are
    > running 12.1(19)EA1c. I can send you 'sh ver' if that helps. The
    > router here is just a linux box.
    >
    > how do you mean "belonging to more than one VLAN". From little that I
    > know about VLAN routing, I'd have to do the following to route between
    > vlans (or do I??)
    >
    > 1. on switchA, setup VTP server, setup vlanX and vlanY, then setup a
    > trunk port (port 9)======fiber======(port 9 which is trunk port on
    > switchB)
    >
    > 2. switchB is configured as client and thus leans names of vlanX and
    > vlanY, then I assign ports 1234 to vlanX and ports 5678 to vlanY on
    > both switches manually.
    >
    > 3. plug a cable from port 1 of switchB to router port eth0 and plug a
    > cable from port 5 of switchB to router port eth1,
    >
    > won't that accomplish routing between them?

    Yes.

    Hansang must have wrong end of stick.
    AnyBody43, Sep 22, 2004