Is this Compaq a good buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zvnteq7, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    zvnteq7, Mar 29, 2009

  2. zvnteq7

    Mike Easter Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:
    <bestbuy compaq $370>

    > I plan on wiping it and installing XP home, (vista being too slow for my
    > taste and just plain weird) I'm not a gamer or musician, I just use for
    > email, Usenet, webcam chat, utorrent...

    On any low cost hardware involving MS, a significant consideration is what
    kind of license you are getting and what kind of reconditioning you have
    to do.

    This deal is Vista home premium which will come significantly junked up
    with payola deals between software houses and HP. If you left the vista,
    you would have to be figuring how to get rid of the bloatware. If you
    blast the vista in favor of installing xp, you are going to have to deal
    with what kind of license for xp you have and how to handle the WGA.

    > Should everything be ok driver wise if I replace the vista with XP?
    > (home sp2)

    Not necessarily.

    Many OEMs such as HP are notorious about not providing any drivers other
    than the ones which come with the box.

    If/When you go to compaq support and input the SR5710Y for drivers, they
    only offer Vista & vista64bit http://snipr.com/eth7u Select your
    operating system Compaq Presario SR5710Y Desktop PC - Microsoft Windows
    Vista -- Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit) -- Don't see your operating
    system? - If your operating system is not listed, HP does not currently
    have software or driver downloads available for your product for that
    operating system,

    If you aren't in a hurry, if you buy a box like that in June, MS will give
    you an upgrade to Win7

    Vista to Windows 7 upgrade date and details revealed --
    http://snipr.com/ethee End users must purchase a new PC that is
    pre-installed with an eligible Windows Vista OS. - The only Windows Vista
    versions eligible for the program are Home Premium, Business, and
    Ultimate. Vista basic users are out of luck.

    There's a lot of difference between buying a box with a free upgrade to
    Win7 and buying a box which doesn't have factory drivers available and no
    WGA solution for your xpsp2 licences.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009

  3. zvnteq7

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> If/When you go to compaq support and input the SR5710Y for drivers,
    >> they only offer Vista & vista64bit

    > From my experiences with HP, all I had to do was to email them and
    > ask.
    > Give them the information and they would give me a link to what I
    > needed.

    Do you suppose HP had xp drivers for your particular model but not the
    SR5710Y?

    HP/Compaq provide tools so that you can find your own drivers, you don't
    have to email them. If I were the OP and expecting to find some xp
    drivers, I wouldn't buy the box first and then email compaq my request. I
    suspect they would say, 'sorry' just like the online tool said.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009
  4. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > zvnteq7 wrote:
    > <bestbuy compaq $370>
    >
    >> I plan on wiping it and installing XP home, (vista being too slow for my
    >> taste and just plain weird) I'm not a gamer or musician, I just use for
    >> email, Usenet, webcam chat, utorrent...

    > On any low cost hardware involving MS, a significant consideration is what
    > kind of license you are getting and what kind of reconditioning you have
    > to do.
    >
    > This deal is Vista home premium which will come significantly junked up
    > with payola deals between software houses and HP. If you left the vista,
    > you would have to be figuring how to get rid of the bloatware. If you
    > blast the vista in favor of installing xp, you are going to have to deal
    > with what kind of license for xp you have and how to handle the WGA.
    >
    >> Should everything be ok driver wise if I replace the vista with XP?
    >> (home sp2)

    > Not necessarily.
    >
    > Many OEMs such as HP are notorious about not providing any drivers other
    > than the ones which come with the box.
    >
    > If/When you go to compaq support and input the SR5710Y for drivers, they
    > only offer Vista & vista64bit http://snipr.com/eth7u Select your
    > operating system Compaq Presario SR5710Y Desktop PC - Microsoft Windows
    > Vista -- Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit) -- Don't see your operating
    > system? - If your operating system is not listed, HP does not currently
    > have software or driver downloads available for your product for that
    > operating system,
    >
    > If you aren't in a hurry, if you buy a box like that in June, MS will give
    > you an upgrade to Win7
    >
    > Vista to Windows 7 upgrade date and details revealed --
    > http://snipr.com/ethee End users must purchase a new PC that is
    > pre-installed with an eligible Windows Vista OS. - The only Windows Vista
    > versions eligible for the program are Home Premium, Business, and
    > Ultimate. Vista basic users are out of luck.
    >
    > There's a lot of difference between buying a box with a free upgrade to
    > Win7 and buying a box which doesn't have factory drivers available and no
    > WGA solution for your xpsp2 licences.

    Well, WGA is not what I'm worried about, my copy of XP Home Sp2 is store
    bought/legit
    zvnteq7, Mar 30, 2009
  5. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> If/When you go to compaq support and input the SR5710Y for drivers,
    >>> they only offer Vista & vista64bit

    >> From my experiences with HP, all I had to do was to email them and
    >> ask.
    >> Give them the information and they would give me a link to what I
    >> needed.

    > Do you suppose HP had xp drivers for your particular model but not the
    > SR5710Y?
    >
    > HP/Compaq provide tools so that you can find your own drivers, you don't
    > have to email them. If I were the OP and expecting to find some xp
    > drivers, I wouldn't buy the box first and then email compaq my request. I
    > suspect they would say, 'sorry' just like the online tool said.

    P.S.

    This is the other option I'm considering,
    http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pr...ryId=4&categoryId=110000&subCategoryId=110010

    although I'm a little hesitant with a 64 bit seeing that certain
    programs have issues (like Zonealarm)
    zvnteq7, Mar 30, 2009
  6. zvnteq7

    Mike Easter Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> If you blast the vista in favor of installing xp, you are going to
    >> have to deal with what kind of license for xp you have and how to
    >> handle the WGA.

    > Well, WGA is not what I'm worried about, my copy of XP Home Sp2 is store
    > bought/legit

    Yabbut, your legit storebought xp is a license to use it on one box. Is
    your idea to buy a new computer, install the xp on it, transfer the
    license to the new box and get rid of the old computer, or put some other
    OS on it such as a linux distro, or use an 'unlicensed' xp on the old box?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009
  7. zvnteq7

    Mike Easter Guest

    <http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=68714&parentCatego
    ryId=4&categoryId=110000&subCategoryId=110010>

    > although I'm a little hesitant with a 64 bit seeing that certain
    > programs have issues (like Zonealarm)

    That is basically the same story at hp - the model is SR5710F which hp sez
    they have vista&v64 drivers for.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009
  8. zvnteq7

    G. Morgan Guest

    richard wrote:

    >I'd still like to know exactly how it is a write blocked cd can know
    >that the contents was placed on more than one machine.
    >
    >What if I had to totally install the OS as new on the same machine?
    >How is that write blocked cd gonna know it's the same machine?

    The CD doesn't know, you stooge. M$FT's activation servers and WGA keep track
    of the CD keys used.
    G. Morgan, Mar 30, 2009
  9. There is NO Compaq that is a good buy -- even a free one. Compaq is shite!

    J¡m ßéâñ, Mar 30, 2009
  10. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> I'd still like to know exactly how it is a write blocked cd can know
    >> that the contents was placed on more than one machine.
    >>
    >> What if I had to totally install the OS as new on the same machine?
    >> How is that write blocked cd gonna know it's the same machine?

    > The CD doesn't know, you stooge. M$FT's activation servers and WGA keep track
    > of the CD keys used.

    I've reinstalled XP on my PC with the SAME disc and Key a million
    times... You just have to call India for a few numbers then TA DA!
    zvnteq7, Mar 30, 2009
  11. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    J¡m ßéâñ wrote:
    > There is NO Compaq that is a good buy -- even a free one. Compaq is shite!
    >
    > "zvnteq7" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175064&type=product&id=1218045567985
    >>
    >> I plan on wiping it and installing XP home, (vista being too slow for my
    >> taste and just plain weird) I'm not a gamer or musician, I just use for
    >> email, Usenet, webcam chat, utorrent...
    >>
    >> Should everything be ok driver wise if I replace the vista with XP? (home
    >> sp2)
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Why? worse than Emachines? give reasons please!
    zvnteq7, Mar 30, 2009
  12. zvnteq7

    thanatoid Guest

    zvnteq7 <> wrote in

    > J¡m ßéâñ wrote:
    >> There is NO Compaq that is a good buy -- even a free one.
    >> Compaq is shite!
    >>
    >> "zvnteq7" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175064&type
    >>> =product&id=1218045567985
    >>>
    >>> I plan on wiping it and installing XP home, (vista being
    >>> too slow for my taste and just plain weird) I'm not a
    >>> gamer or musician, I just use for email, Usenet, webcam
    >>> chat, utorrent...
    >>>
    >>> Should everything be ok driver wise if I replace the
    >>> vista with XP? (home sp2)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    > Why? worse than Emachines? give reasons please!

    It may not be worse than eMachines but the only reasonable way
    to buy a computer is to have a friendly neighborhood computer
    shop built one to your exact specs, without all the shit you
    don't need or want, and WITH the stuff you need and want but
    will either not get at all or get the cheapest worst quality
    (that's what goes into brand name computers in case you didn't
    know), all for a lower price and service a few blocks away
    instead of weeks or months of emails and charged LD phonecalls.
    thanatoid, Mar 30, 2009
  13. zvnteq7 wrote:

    > I've reinstalled XP on my PC with the SAME disc and Key a million
    > times...

    On the same PC? You must be doing something wrong!

    > You just have to call India for a few numbers then TA DA!

    [Randeep: "I got Zvnteq7 yesterday. I gave him O.K. yet again!"]
    [Sandip: "HeeHee! I got him today. I told him 'License Expired!'"]

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 30, 2009
  14. zvnteq7

    Mike Easter Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:

    > I've reinstalled XP on my PC with the SAME disc and Key a million
    > times... You just have to call India for a few numbers then TA DA!

    Don't confuse reinstalling your legit XP on your same machine with
    intalling your XP which is licensed for that machine on another additional
    machine.

    According to MS's 'rules' your legit XP is licensed to one machine. MS
    has matched up your particular copy/install of XP with your particular
    machine's identifying characteristics and MS's WGA.

    If you are going to intall that XP onto another additional machine, MS
    wants you to 'expand' your licensing agreement with them to cover the
    newly added machine.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009
  15. zvnteq7

    catchme Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175064&type=product&id=1218045567985
    >

    > I plan on wiping it and installing XP home, (vista being too slow for my
    > taste and just plain weird) I'm not a gamer or musician, I just use for
    > email, Usenet, webcam chat, utorrent...
    >
    > Should everything be ok driver wise if I replace the vista with XP?
    > (home sp2)
    >
    > Thanks

    bestbuy is in some legal trouble surrounding their internet offerings;
    it appears that there are two versions of their site- one for inside the
    store, and the other for everyone to access from outside.
    So, you find a good deal on the internet, and go to buy it, but the
    staff look it up and say, "nope; the price has changed."
    You go home shaking your head, and check one more time....hey! what gives?
    The ol' bait and switch.

    Make sure you print out a copy of the offering, and stay firm on the
    price, and remind them that a sale IS a sale even if they must slightly
    dip into their profit margin to honour it.
    catchme, Mar 30, 2009
  16. zvnteq7 wrote:

    > J¡m ßéâñ wrote:
    >> There is NO Compaq that is a good buy -- even a free one. Compaq is
    >> shite!

    > Why? worse than Emachines? give reasons please!

    Well, after some batches of 7xxx hp/compaq series (7100 to 7800) that run
    just fine with xp, our supplier finally tricked us into buying a batch of
    compaq5850's minitowers with a amdx2 board. Man, that one must have been
    put together with hot needles. Every other day these boxen won't boot
    (either 5 beeps, red-blinking power led, or just green led but dark screen
    and no response) until the customer unplugs the power for a short time,
    then replug and the sh*tbox finally starts up. NOT good for lab boxen and
    worse for "headless" usage as, let's say, a printserver. Neither for
    wake-on-lan nightly patching ...
    It is _not_ the amd processor, and also not the memory at fault. Flashing
    the latest bios didn't help either. It is a sh*tty mainboard.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 30, 2009
  17. zvnteq7

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E, Mar 31, 2009