    TIA
    Cath
    , Oct 9, 2003

  2. T.N.O. Guest

    <>
    > Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:

    heh, you or someone you know, has swen virus/worm, I have been receiving
    email with you as the reply.... you don't happen to live in .nl do you? as
    this is where the ones coming to me are from.
    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003

  3. Keith Guest

    wrote:
    >Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:
    >

    >Our virus checker found the
    >
    > I-Worm.Swen

    The Swen worm started up in the middle (17th) of last month and seemed
    to peak around the 25th. Count yourself lucky you're on the end of it.
    Some folk were getting hundreds per day.

    Trend Micro virus stats:
    http://tinyurl.com/qdi5
    Keith, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Bret Guest

    On 10 Oct 2003 10:35:44 +1300, "Keith" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:
    >>

    >>Our virus checker found the
    >>
    >> I-Worm.Swen

    >The Swen worm started up in the middle (17th) of last month and seemed
    > to peak around the 25th. Count yourself lucky you're on the end of it.
    > Some folk were getting hundreds per day.
    >
    >Trend Micro virus stats:
    >http://tinyurl.com/qdi5

    Am I the only one getting Swen through usenet, at least 3 or 4 a day?
    Bret, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Howard Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:35:44 +1300, Keith wrote:

    > Trend Micro virus stats:
    > http://tinyurl.com/qdi5

    Hmmm, accordig to that link, there are oly 421 infected computers in NZ
    (ie ANZ 21,752 - AU 21,331 = NZ 421). I wonder how we managed to keep our
    noses so clean. Well done all you kiwi admins out there!
    Howard, Oct 9, 2003
  6. T.N.O. Guest

    "Howard" wrote
    > Hmmm, according to that link, there are oly 421 infected computers in NZ

    Me thinks that it isn't accurate...
    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  7. Keith Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >"Howard" wrote
    >> Hmmm, according to that link, there are oly 421 infected computers in NZ

    >Me thinks that it isn't accurate...

    Indeed. I think those sort of absolute stats are sus. But if one assumes
    the same level of error then the trends can tell you something.
    Keith, Oct 9, 2003
  8. T.N.O. Guest

    "Keith" wrote
    > >Me thinks that it isn't accurate...

    > Indeed. I think those sort of absolute stats are sus. But if one assumes
    > the same level of error then the trends can tell you something.

    Personally, I have fixed ~50 that wouldn't have made it to the stats... dumb
    arse friends of family, friends of friends of family, and friends of friends
    of friends of family... :)
    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  9. pbs Guest

    Keith wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:
    >>

    >>Our virus checker found the
    >>
    >> I-Worm.Swen

    > The Swen worm started up in the middle (17th) of last month and seemed
    > to peak around the 25th. Count yourself lucky you're on the end of it.
    > Some folk were getting hundreds per day.

    I was getting around 1000 a day to the email address of this posting. It
    took me a few days to set up mailfilter to automate the deletions on the
    freeserve.co.uk pop mail server, so I do not have a log from day one. I
    am still getting 300+ a day. But not one has come from from New Zealand.
    pbs, Oct 10, 2003
  10. Bret wrote:
    > On 10 Oct 2003 10:35:44 +1300, "Keith" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:
    >>>

    >>>Our virus checker found the
    >>>
    >>> I-Worm.Swen

    >>The Swen worm started up in the middle (17th) of last month and seemed
    >>to peak around the 25th. Count yourself lucky you're on the end of it.
    >>Some folk were getting hundreds per day.
    >>
    >>Trend Micro virus stats:
    >>http://tinyurl.com/qdi5

    > Am I the only one getting Swen through usenet, at least 3 or 4 a day?

    Swen apparently can filch email addresses from usenet...

    How many total do you get? I'm down to around 50 of them now (was 150
    of the phuckers daily!). I zap em with webmail (serverside) before
    d/l-ing the good bits...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 10, 2003
  11. Hi there,

    wrote:
    > Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:
    >
    > Our virus checker found the
    >
    > I-Worm.Swen
    >
    > virus in an email
    > to you from:
    >
    > aguariglia@policlinico.[rest snipped but was from Italy].
    > TIA
    > Cath

    Well slap me with a wet napkin its the same address I received
    as the 'source' of someone purporting to send ME a virus too!

    The most probable link between my email address and yours Cath
    is usenet groups, so Swen probably can go trawling thru usenet
    postings...

    Remember that recent nasties forge the return address, so it could
    be from anywhere...

    ;-)

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 10, 2003
  12. Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:00:08 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    > wrote:
    >> Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:
    >>
    >> Our virus checker found the
    >>
    >> I-Worm.Swen
    >>
    >> virus in an email
    >> to you from:
    >>
    >> aguariglia@policlinico.[rest snipped but was from Italy].
    >> TIA
    >> Cath

    >Well slap me with a wet napkin its the same address I received
    >as the 'source' of someone purporting to send ME a virus too!
    >
    >The most probable link between my email address and yours Cath
    >is usenet groups, so Swen probably can go trawling thru usenet
    >postings...
    >
    >Remember that recent nasties forge the return address, so it could
    >be from anywhere...
    >
    >;-)
    >
    >Kind regards,
    >
    >Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

    Um, is this the same worm that was being sent with those
    'undeliverable email' and 'Microsoft Updates' recently?

    I did get a few of those couple of weeks ago, particularly bad over
    one weekend.

    Out of 8 email address' I have, the *only* one that got them was the
    email I use for usenet....

    Thanks to all.

    Cath
    , Oct 10, 2003
  13. Bret Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:55:39 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >> Am I the only one getting Swen through usenet, at least 3 or 4 a day?

    >Swen apparently can filch email addresses from usenet...
    >
    >How many total do you get? I'm down to around 50 of them now (was 150
    >of the phuckers daily!). I zap em with webmail (serverside) before
    >d/l-ing the good bits...

    32 actual Swen viruses, a lot more empty zip files.
    Bret, Oct 10, 2003
  14. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:52:01 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > heh, you or someone you know, has swen virus/worm

    Or someone who's visited a Newsgroup where you post or a website with your
    email address on it.

    I've been getting copies mostly to recent posting addresses, but some are
    coming in to ten year old addresses which still appear in various FAQs
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 10, 2003
  15. Hi there,

    Bret wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:55:39 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Am I the only one getting Swen through usenet, at least 3 or 4 a day?

    >>Swen apparently can filch email addresses from usenet...
    >>
    >>How many total do you get? I'm down to around 50 of them now (was 150
    >>of the phuckers daily!). I zap em with webmail (serverside) before
    >>d/l-ing the good bits...

    > 32 actual Swen viruses, a lot more empty zip files.

    Thats not so bad. ISP's seem to cleaning them up better, but I'd
    rather they just removed them altogether without me having to
    know I'd been sent one...

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 11, 2003
  16. bt Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:49:25 -0500, wrote:

    >Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:
    >

    >Our virus checker found the
    >
    > I-Worm.Swen
    >
    >virus in an email
    >to you from:
    >
    > aguariglia@policlinico.[rest snipped but was from Italy].
    >
    >TIA
    >Cath

    Right, you stand guard over it while I call the police ;)

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.
    bt, Oct 11, 2003
  17. Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:49:25 -0500, pinkbikin wrote:

    > Just recevied two emails from same [unknown] sender:

    [Snip]

    > aguariglia@policlinico.[rest snipped but was from Italy].

    Proof that it was from Italy please. See the problem?

    Gordon, Oct 11, 2003