Is this another Photoshop fake?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charlie Fenton, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Charlie Fenton, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Charlie Fenton

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:0OhMb.50901$gN.50342@fed1read05 "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789>
    wrote:

    > Is this another fake?

    I take it you didn't read the text on that Web page.

    Could you also not know that the entire Snopes Web site is dedicated to
    quashing hoaxes and urban legends?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Robert Maskill, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Re: Is this another Photoshop fake? - OOPS!!!

    Sorry, I pasted in the incorrect URL:

    Here's the one I am wondering about:
    http://www.surfshooter.com/DolphinInfo.html

    Clearly, this could have been done with PS. Any ideas?

    http://www.snopes.com/photos/shark.asp

    Charlie Fenton, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Charlie Fenton

    steve Guest

    Re: Is this another Photoshop fake? - OOPS!!!

    I believe it is real as stated on the web page. I have often seen
    dolphins surfing waves in Southern California. Fantastic shot!

    Darn I wish I had a 400 f/2.8L to play with!

    Steve

    steve, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Charlie Fenton

    MarkH Guest

    Re: Is this another Photoshop fake? - OOPS!!!

    "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789> wrote in news:7WhMb.50904$gN.10423
    @fed1read05:

    > Sorry, I pasted in the incorrect URL:
    >
    > Here's the one I am wondering about:
    > http://www.surfshooter.com/DolphinInfo.html
    >
    > Clearly, this could have been done with PS. Any ideas?

    Why would you think it’s a fake?

    The suggestion that there was a shark that close to the surfer is false,
    that is no shark!

    Dolphins are well known for being playful and they do like to surf, the
    picture is a good one but not surprising or difficult to believe in any
    way.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Charlie Fenton

    Frank ess Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789> wrote in news:7WhMb.50904$gN.10423
    > @fed1read05:
    >
    >> Sorry, I pasted in the incorrect URL:
    >>
    >> Here's the one I am wondering about:
    >> http://www.surfshooter.com/DolphinInfo.html
    >>
    >> Clearly, this could have been done with PS. Any ideas?

    > Why would you think it’s a fake?
    >
    > The suggestion that there was a shark that close to the surfer is
    > false, that is no shark!
    >
    > Dolphins are well known for being playful and they do like to surf,
    > the picture is a good one but not surprising or difficult to believe
    > in any way.

    The TV weather folks around here routinely set up their remotes to show this
    kind of thing on the early "news".

    Frank ess, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Charlie Fenton

    cc Guest

    Re: Is this another Photoshop fake? - OOPS!!!

    The lighting on the surfer and the ripples close to the surfer look a
    bit suspect when compared with the more subdued lighting on the wave.
    Also, even taking into account the 1.5x magnification of the water, the
    dolphin looks huge compared to the size of the surfer, especially if the
    surfer is closer to the camera. Most dolphins are smaller than or the
    same size as humans. If that's real it's a cool shot though.

    cc, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Re: Is this another Photoshop fake? - OOPS!!!

    Exactly my original concerns: lighting and the size of the dolphin, not to
    mention the very casual demeanor of the surfer given 1) a "shark is that
    close to him, and 2) he's about to get clobbered by a large wave that he's
    completely in the wrong position to either surf it or dive under it.

    Mostly, I've never seen a dolphin that huge in my life...

    Charlie Fenton, Jan 11, 2004
  10. Charlie Fenton

    Mark B. Guest

    "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789> wrote in message
    > I'm sure many of you have seen this:

    http://www.snopes.com/photos/shark.asp

    > Is this another fake?

    Geez, did you just look at the picture and not read the accompanying text??
    The answer is RIGHT THERE!

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 11, 2004
  11. Charlie Fenton

    Alan Browne Guest

    Charlie Fenton wrote:

    > I'm sure many of you have seen this: http://www.snopes.com/photos/shark.asp
    >
    > Is this another fake?

    well known fake, it's even reversed right to left (Fuel boom on wrong
    side; tail rotor on wrong side).

    http://www.time.com/time/daily/iraq/weapons/air/MH60G.html
    (the "faked" one is the MH-60G "Pave Hawk" variant of the US Air Force
    special ops and USAF Reserve.)

    Brits do not operate any Sikorsky 60/70 types at all (vice the claim in
    the caption).

    The S-70/UH-60 fuselage is about 50 feet long.... how long would that
    make the shark in the photo??!!!!!!

    Bridge is the S.F. Golden G.

    Alan Browne, Jan 11, 2004
  12. Charlie Fenton

    Paul L Guest

    Re: Is this another Photoshop fake? - OOPS!!!

    Nice 10' dolphin!

    Paul L, Jan 12, 2004
  13. Charlie Fenton

    Guest

    In message <0OhMb.50901$gN.50342@fed1read05>,
    "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789> wrote:

    >I'm sure many of you have seen this: http://www.snopes.com/photos/shark.asp
    >
    >Is this another fake?

    I think so. Look at the shadow of the helicopter on the water. It
    misses the shark. Yet, the top of the shark is not illuminated like the
    helicopter is.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 12, 2004
  14. Charlie Fenton

    MarkH Guest

    Re: Is this another Photoshop fake? - OOPS!!!

    "Paul L" <> wrote in news:%coMb.144726
    $:

    > Nice 10' dolphin!

    Since the average length of a common dolphin is 8’ it doesn’t seem that
    remarkable that a dolphin might be as large as 10’.

    MarkH, Jan 12, 2004
  15. Charlie Fenton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Charlie Fenton wrote:

    > Sorry, I pasted in the incorrect URL:
    >
    > Here's the one I am wondering about:
    > http://www.surfshooter.com/DolphinInfo.html
    >
    > Clearly, this could have been done with PS. Any ideas?
    >

    > "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm sure many of you have seen this:

    > http://www.snopes.com/photos/shark.asp
    >
    >>Is this another fake?

    Could have, wasn't.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2004
  16. Charlie Fenton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789> wrote in news:7WhMb.50904$gN.10423
    > @fed1read05:
    >

    >>Sorry, I pasted in the incorrect URL:
    >>
    >>Here's the one I am wondering about:
    >>http://www.surfshooter.com/DolphinInfo.html
    >>
    >>Clearly, this could have been done with PS. Any ideas?

    > Why would you think it’s a fake?
    >
    > The suggestion that there was a shark that close to the surfer is false,
    > that is no shark!
    >
    > Dolphins are well known for being playful and they do like to surf, the
    > picture is a good one but not surprising or difficult to believe in any
    > way.

    NOT a dolphin. Look at the tail.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2004
  17. Charlie Fenton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Charlie Fenton wrote:

    > Exactly my original concerns: lighting and the size of the dolphin, not to
    > mention the very casual demeanor of the surfer given 1) a "shark is that
    > close to him, and 2) he's about to get clobbered by a large wave that he's
    > completely in the wrong position to either surf it or dive under it.
    >
    > Mostly, I've never seen a dolphin that huge in my life...

    Ever seen one with a vertical tail fluke?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2004
  18. Charlie Fenton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark B. wrote:

    > "Charlie Fenton" <123@456.789> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm sure many of you have seen this:

    > http://www.snopes.com/photos/shark.asp
    >
    >>Is this another fake?
    >>

    > Geez, did you just look at the picture and not read the accompanying text??
    > The answer is RIGHT THERE!
    >
    > Mark

    Of course it you believe everything you read on the internet.....
    I am the smartest man in the world, also the most handsome. There it
    is, in print, on the internet. Do you believe it?
    If so, then I have some really nice beachfront property in Central
    Kansas for sale....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2004
  19. Charlie Fenton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Charlie Fenton wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure many of you have seen this:
    >> http://www.snopes.com/photos/shark.asp
    >>
    >> Is this another fake?
    >>

    > well known fake, it's even reversed right to left (Fuel boom on wrong
    > side; tail rotor on wrong side).
    >
    > http://www.time.com/time/daily/iraq/weapons/air/MH60G.html
    > (the "faked" one is the MH-60G "Pave Hawk" variant of the US Air Force
    > special ops and USAF Reserve.)
    >
    > Brits do not operate any Sikorsky 60/70 types at all (vice the claim in
    > the caption).
    >
    > The S-70/UH-60 fuselage is about 50 feet long.... how long would that
    > make the shark in the photo??!!!!!!
    >
    > Bridge is the S.F. Golden G.

    Your other points granted, look up the max length of great whites.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2004
  20. Charlie Fenton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > "Paul L" <> wrote in news:%coMb.144726
    > $:
    >

    >>Nice 10' dolphin!

    > Since the average length of a common dolphin is 8’ it doesn’t seem that
    > remarkable that a dolphin might be as large as 10’.

    They do, and some species grow larger than that, but that is NOT a
    dolphin. Look at the head and tail.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 12, 2004