    what it's got on it, but I could always go back to the ME,couldn't I ??, if
    owt went wrong.....SO WHATS THE SCORE, how do i do th re-install ??.....ALL
    THE BEST......FRED
    fredcromer, Jun 20, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    mark mandel Guest

    "fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
    news:40d5c864$...
    > When i got this crappy computer a few month ago, it had win98 on
    > it...anyway, I was in a 2nd hand shop looking for a game for it, and I

    found
    > a winME upgrade CD in the case of a game...I bought it for 50p, got it

    home
    > and used the 5 codes on it to install it on my comp....OK, but now,cos

    i've
    > only got 64mb of RAM, I was wondering wether or not to go back to the 98,

    as
    > it might give me a bit more RAM back,( I aint got NONE left,0,and no

    dough),
    > but i'm sure a few weeks ago, it said on screen that i can't downgrade, so
    > how would i go about taking everything off my hard drive and redoing it

    THAT
    > way????I've only got 10 3and half inch disks that hold 1.44 MB each, so i
    > will be limited in which APPS i wanna save,is that how it works???

    Remember,
    > i'm new totally to computers, so what do I do, to re-install the windows98
    > CD, which is also a copy that i got from a car boot sale, and i don't know
    > what it's got on it, but I could always go back to the ME,couldn't I ??,

    if
    > owt went wrong.....SO WHATS THE SCORE, how do i do th re-install

    ??.....ALL
    > THE BEST......FRED

    You could do a "repair/install" of the 98 over itself. Go from Start to
    Find(Files and folders is the option you pick). Where it says "Named" type
    in setup.exe, then click where it says "Find now." then left click the
    selection that'll come up that says "Windows\options\cabs." It's possible
    that during the re-installation it'll ask you for the product key so you
    need to have that as well.
    mark mandel, Jun 21, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    ProfGene Guest

    I don't know why either OS would affect the ram. You might have more space
    on the hard drive if the program takes up more room but in your situation it
    would be just simpler to stick with ME. Chaning back to Win98 might be a
    tricky thing to try if you are no real experienced so I would just stay with
    what you have.

    ProfGene, Jun 26, 2004