Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Stan Shankman, May 12, 2008.

  1. Greetings all,

    Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?

    I searched "Microsoft. public" for "64-bit", and this group was found.
    But because it did not specifically have the word "Vista" in the name, I
    assume it is a Windows XP 64-bit group.
    Does anyone know the best group for Vista 64-bit postings?

    This brings up a small beef I have:
    Namely, if one searches on the web for "Vista software", one often sees
    "Vista compatible" mentioned (or some such phrasing), but rarely does one
    find "Vista 32-bit compatible" and "Vista 64-bit compatible", and especially
    "Vista 64-bit Native" listed under "system requirements".
    Why do vendors so frequently fail to specify which *exact* platform there
    software is intended to run on?

    And now, I visit the Microsoft news server and here I seem to run into a
    similar issue.

    Drives me nuts . . .
    :)

    - Stan
    Stan Shankman, May 12, 2008

  2. Stan Shankman

    Jim Guest

    On May 11, 11:33 pm, "Stan Shankman" <> wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?
    >
    > I searched "Microsoft. public" for "64-bit", and this group was found.
    > But because it did not specifically have the word "Vista" in the name, I
    > assume it is a Windows XP 64-bit group.
    > Does anyone know the best group for Vista 64-bit postings?

    Stan,

    This group definitely *started* as a Windows XP x64 group; but, I
    think, some of us have migrated to Vista 64-bit. Originally Vista 64-
    bit were sent to other groups, but not questions are being answered.

    I can not speak for everybody in the group, however.

    Jim
    Jim, May 12, 2008

  3. The groups designed intent was to cover all things, except dev issues,
    around 64-bit Windows that were different from 32-bit Windows. So we cover
    Server 2k3, Server 2k8, XP x64, Vista x64, and even Itanium sometimes.

    If your question is about how your 64-bit version of Windows is different
    from an equivalent 32-bit version, this is the place. If it's how Windows
    Mail works and you happen to be running Vista 64, you're in the wrong
    place - that's a question that's not specific to 64-bit.

    All that being said, we try to answer when we know, but if we don't, we'll
    suggest an alternative group that's a more appropriate fit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2008
  4. Stan Shankman

    Dominick Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > On May 11, 11:33 pm, "Stan Shankman" <> wrote:
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?
    >>
    >> I searched "Microsoft. public" for "64-bit", and this group was found.
    >> But because it did not specifically have the word "Vista" in the name, I
    >> assume it is a Windows XP 64-bit group.
    >> Does anyone know the best group for Vista 64-bit postings?

    > Stan,
    >
    > This group definitely *started* as a Windows XP x64 group; but, I
    > think, some of us have migrated to Vista 64-bit. Originally Vista 64-
    > bit were sent to other groups, but not questions are being answered.
    >
    > I can not speak for everybody in the group, however.
    >
    > Jim

    I am only on Windows Server 2008 x64 now, the best workstation OS <g>,
    so yes it seems to be ALL Windows x64 platforms.
    Dominick, May 12, 2008
  5. It has been and remains a newsgroup for 64bit issues on all 64bit versions
    of Windows, both 86_64 and IA64, including XP Pro x64, Windows Server 2003
    and 2008 x64, and all Vista x64. It has never been an XP or Vista newsgroup
    as such.

    Most questions concerning Vista are not related to the bitness of the OS but
    rather its features, functionalities, and usages and as such are best posted
    the Vista ng that best addresses the subject.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 12, 2008