    What gives?
    And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
    predicament?

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VycnkgU25vdw==?=, Oct 16, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2VycnkgU25vdw==?=

    Joe Guest

    In message <>, Kerry
    Snow <> writes
    >I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network, with
    >absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real advice
    >(or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
    >people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among friends,
    >and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
    >
    >I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
    >machines on and share files easily.
    >
    >I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
    >router. None of them can see each other.
    >
    >What gives?

    It can sometimes be difficult to get started with a purely wireless
    system, if the computers have never been networked before. XP has a
    wizard to set up a network, but of course this will only work if the
    machines are connected. You can only sort out the wireless connection
    when you are sure there are no other obstacles to networking...

    On the whole, the best way to go is probably to wire the wireless
    machines to the router temporarily, use the XP wizard to get networking
    running, then disconnect and sort out the wireless issues. It's probably
    best to leave encryption off the wireless link to begin with, but try to
    get things going and at least WEP encryption enabled as quickly as
    possible.

    >And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
    >predicament?

    No comment.
    --
    Joe

    Joe, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Wow...I have been beating my head against the wall trying to resolve the very
    same issue. Both of my computers see the "network" but when trying to open
    the connection, an error message comes up that they don't have access
    permission. Also, neither returns a ping. All I want is for the remote
    comuter to share my printer. It is made to sound so easy...but I guess it
    never is. I am totally open for suggestions...

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUtbw==?=, Oct 16, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S2VycnkgU25vdw==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    LOL, there are hundreds of thousands of VCRs and DVD player that the Time
    and the Date on the front is still blinking after years of usage.

    That does Not mean that something id wrong with the VCR/DVD. Usually it
    blinks because the User Does Not (or can not) read the manual.

    Unfortunately the issue that you are referring to can not be answered in the
    few sentences that are common to On Line Help, and public BBSs.

    Log to the page above, and read it slowly. Read every thing first before you
    act, and then give it a try in an orderly manner.

    Check every thing. Do Not wave parts of the issue away with excuses like "It
    Worked before" or, and "I Think it is OK".

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 16, 2004
  5. It's easy for you to be judgmental. You happened to 'stumble' across a
    possible solution. But some of us who are power users, still can't make it
    work. Microsoft has made it impossible to dig into the guts to figure out
    what particular piece of the puzzle is stopping communication. The wireless
    gear people won't help, Microsoft won't help, and your smarmy remark doesn't
    help. What microsoft needs to do is dig into this issue and help enough
    people figure it out then publish the results - instead of this dopey forum
    which seems to perpetuate the issues. If someone knows the "exact" causes for
    the lack of connectivity, share it! This is very aggrevating and useless.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, Oct 16, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S2VycnkgU25vdw==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Did you try to work through the solutions as suggested at my link above?

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Well, like I said Jack, it's supposed to be easy. Your web page instructions
    look helpful, but not particularly user-friendly. Why should I have to spend
    a day poring over various links to Microsoft issues, disabling firewalls,
    re-enabling firewalls, adjusting settings, etc., when MAC users can share
    resources out of the box. I got my VCR to stop blinking in about 5 minutes.
    Microsoft bills their OS as a simple solution to these sorts of problems, but
    the fact that they've had to bend over backwards to address the zillions of
    security problems obviously gets in the way of their "simple" solutions. The
    Help files included with XP (the equivalent of the VCR user manual, I
    presume), are of no particular help, and the "wizards" appear to screw things
    up more than they help, so I'm wondering which "user manual" is available to
    us dim-wits.

    Kerry (MVP-VCRs)

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VycnkgU25vdw==?=, Oct 16, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S2VycnkgU25vdw==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    If the PC standard was a close envioroment with not too many Third party
    applications, and very limited Hardware ad-ones it would be as easy as the
    Mac.

    In addition some PCs are so inexpensive that people without substantial
    financial means can enjoy the Magic like every one else.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Dan,

    I have to agree with you. I've been trying to figure out how to connect
    with my network for weeks. I found there is a little button on my laptop
    that connects to my network. Too funny. But now I can't get onto the
    internet or my desktop. What good is that. I've received conflicting
    answers about this issue. I thought once I upgraded my desktop to XP it'd be
    plug-and-play. Not. I will figure this out. So far, I am very unhappy with
    NETGEAR and Microsoft.

    Steph

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=, Oct 17, 2004
  10. I have to agree with Jack. I'm completely self-educated in the
    Networking/Wireless field (With the help of many well-written web pages).
    After using my patented trial-and-error method I have found that only a
    complete review of all settings, drivers and firmware will solve these
    problems. I've done this excercise several times now, and it gets easier with
    each situation, due to my increasing education.
    All the comments about MACs seem to be true as well. I had occasion to add a
    G4 to an existing ethernet Network recently, and once I found the procedure
    it was basically a three-click procedure. Of course, this G4 cost about three
    times what an equivalent PC would cost. It's also got similar problems with
    driver and OS updates that are extremely expensive and frustrating to me and
    the user.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Oct 17, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?S2VycnkgU25vdw==?=

    Gary R. Guest

    You had a great suggestion earlier in the thread...connect the network as a
    wired network, set up your networking, and then hook up and configure your
    wireless.

    XP was released when wireless was in a primitive stage; you expect it to now
    deal with everything that comes along later, including all sorts and brands
    of hardware, as though it was built for it. Mac, on the other hand, comes
    out with new OS versions (at considerable expense, not free) every time you
    turn around. Mac users are not known for their honesty about their systems
    anyway...they were always perfect, that is until something newer came along,
    turning the old ones into junk (suddenly OS9 crashed a lot, was primitive,
    unintuitive, etc. when OSX came along...hmmm, odd, it was perfect up til
    then. You think they'll be honest with you about everything else?). They
    love to gloat when anyone using Windows has a problem, but are very
    secretive about their problems when around non-Mac users, or they take them
    in stride as being 'normal'.

    I find XP networks itself as a wired system; sharing is simple to add
    through the wizard. Wireless, if the hardware and drivers are right, is
    then simple to set up. I've done this on multiple machines with no
    problems, except one. The "one" was getting wireless internet to work, and
    it turned out to be the router (or driver software) was poorly designed; I
    exchanged it for a different brand and inserted the setup CD, and it's
    worked perfectly since.

    So you have to set up a wired network first to make things easy, big deal.
    Would you prefer to have the option of buying "WIndows XP Jaguar" at $130
    instead? If so, maybe you should switch systems or suggest it to Microsoft;
    instead of calling it service pack 2 or 3, they'll call it something fancy
    and charge you a lot.

    Gary

    Gary R., Oct 18, 2004
  12. email me if you would like to go over it in email one-on-one.

    Carey Holzman, Nov 10, 2004