    on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
    still won't work.

    Thanks, David

    Zaphod, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Zaphod

    old jon Guest

    "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone seen this problem?
    >
    > I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
    > dialer. It says :
    >
    > Network connections
    > you (or a program) have requested information from
    > americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?
    >
    > It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this new
    > computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the internet, I
    > have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet Security software. I
    > have been trying to get internet explorer to work when the firewall is
    > on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
    > still won't work.
    >
    > Thanks, David

    Have you got AOL on the machine ?.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Zaphod

    Sandy Rickey Guest

    old jon, <>, the baffled, semicomatose
    dewberry, and strange glassblower who fills dead cows’ bowels with molten
    glass ready blowing, dilated:

    Sandy Rickey, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Zaphod

    joevan Guest

    On 5 Jan 2006 08:45:45 -0800, "Zaphod" <> wrote:

    >Has anyone seen this problem?
    >
    >I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
    >dialer. It says :
    >
    >Network connections
    >you (or a program) have requested information from
    >americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?
    >
    >It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this new
    >computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the internet, I
    >have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet Security software. I
    >have been trying to get internet explorer to work when the firewall is
    >on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
    >still won't work.
    >
    >Thanks, David

    You have norton and aohell on your machine. Poor you.
    Call aol, or norton and wait on the phone for some tech help. LOL
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On 5 Jan 2006 08:45:45 -0800, "Zaphod" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone seen this problem?
    > >
    > >I am constantly getting a small popup window that appears to be a
    > >dialer. It says :
    > >
    > >Network connections
    > >you (or a program) have requested information from
    > >americaonline.aol.com. Which connection do you want to use?
    > >
    > >It looks like I screwed up. I was trying to update windows on this new
    > >computer. In order to get internet explorer to access the internet, I
    > >have to disable my firerwall. Damn Norton Internet Security software. I
    > >have been trying to get internet explorer to work when the firewall is
    > >on for a week now. I have done everything nortos says to do but it
    > >still won't work.
    > >
    > >Thanks, David

    > You have norton and aohell on your machine. Poor you.
    > Call aol, or norton and wait on the phone for some tech help. LOL
    > --
    > "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    > and for the same reason."

    Thanks everybody,

    I did get help from AOL. I did the live chat with an AOL technition. He
    was not able to help much during the chat but right after I got an
    email form AOL telling me that I should go into the internet options of
    Internet Explorer and click the connections tab and remove any
    connections listed it the add / remove window. Thant seems to have done
    the trick.

    I am thinking of changing from AOL to PeoplePC. I tried to sign up for
    PeoplePC yesterday but I had to disable the Norton firewall to sign up
    and the firewall came back on right at the end and screwed it up.

    Thanks, David

    Zaphod, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Zaphod wrote:

    > I am thinking of changing from AOL to PeoplePC.

    Isn't that almost like jumping from the fire into the frying pan? Look
    for a recent thread here where a guy complained about PeoplePC burrowing
    itself into his computer, just like AOL does.

    Unless you need to be led by the hand, try a real (unobtrusive) ISP such
    as Localnet. You are probably in the US?

    http://www.localnet.com/coverage.cgi $9.95/month
    Check to see if there is a local dialup number for you on that page. I
    have several friends using Localnet and they are quite happy with the
    service.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Zaphod wrote:
    >
    > > I am thinking of changing from AOL to PeoplePC.

    > Isn't that almost like jumping from the fire into the frying pan? Look
    > for a recent thread here where a guy complained about PeoplePC burrowing
    > itself into his computer, just like AOL does.
    >
    > Unless you need to be led by the hand, try a real (unobtrusive) ISP such
    > as Localnet. You are probably in the US?
    >
    > http://www.localnet.com/coverage.cgi $9.95/month
    > Check to see if there is a local dialup number for you on that page. I
    > have several friends using Localnet and they are quite happy with the
    > service.
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Thanks for your suggestion.

    After trying to sign on to PeopolePC last night I had to call them for
    help. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes and then talking to someone
    probably in India I was told that my registration had not been
    completed and was switched to another department. After waiting on hold
    another 20 minutes, that person siad that my registration had not been
    completed and they needed to switch me back to the department that I
    had just talked too. I told them to forget it and remove any
    registration I had already done. They couldn't even do that. I will
    still have to call them again to make sure they don't start charging me
    for access I am not getting.

    Thanks, David

    Zaphod, Jan 6, 2006