is this a scam?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nospam, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Nov 21, 2012

  2. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dave Doe, Nov 21, 2012

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:47:41 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >, nospam says...
    >>
    >> cheap ms office software, is this a scam?
    >>
    >> https://softwarecareworld.com/office2010.php

    >I don't think so. The link goes to a page that advertises the AE
    >(Academic) version, but I'm not sure that's up to date. In NZ it's the
    >University Edition (I think) eg. ...
    >
    >http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=367556
    >$121 incls GST.
    >
    >By the time you applied about a 23% USD conversion, and P&P - you'd be
    >cheaper to buy it here.

    uh, it is a scam then. I didn't notice the "AE". On the "buy" page
    it says there are no special requirements to download or activate the
    software - but the tastech page says an authorised academic email
    address is required.

    Thanks.
    nospam, Nov 21, 2012
  4. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , nospam says...

    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:47:41 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >, nospam says...
    > >>
    > >> cheap ms office software, is this a scam?
    > >>
    > >> https://softwarecareworld.com/office2010.php

    > >I don't think so. The link goes to a page that advertises the AE
    > >(Academic) version, but I'm not sure that's up to date. In NZ it's the
    > >University Edition (I think) eg. ...
    > >
    > >http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=367556
    > >$121 incls GST.
    > >
    > >By the time you applied about a 23% USD conversion, and P&P - you'd be
    > >cheaper to buy it here.

    > uh, it is a scam then. I didn't notice the "AE". On the "buy" page
    > it says there are no special requirements to download or activate the
    > software - but the tastech page says an authorised academic email
    > address is required.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Well maybe one could say they're a bit naughty. There's no special
    activatioin requirements for the AE/UE editions - one is supposed to
    provide evidence of being a student before *purchasing*. Hope that
    clarifies.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 22, 2012
  5. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:00:49 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >, nospam says...
    >>
    >> uh, it is a scam then. I didn't notice the "AE". On the "buy" page
    >> it says there are no special requirements to download or activate the
    >> software - but the tastech page says an authorised academic email
    >> address is required.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Well maybe one could say they're a bit naughty. There's no special
    >activatioin requirements for the AE/UE editions - one is supposed to
    >provide evidence of being a student before *purchasing*. Hope that
    >clarifies.

    I don't think that's quite true. According to this web page, you
    can't get an activation code without a valid academic email address

    http://store.digitalriver.com/store/msshnz/html/en_NZ/pbPage.Terms

    and quite likely the website that is selling this is untraceable and
    doesn't give people their money back.
    nospam, Nov 22, 2012
  6. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , nospam says...

    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:00:49 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >, nospam says...
    > >>
    > >> uh, it is a scam then. I didn't notice the "AE". On the "buy" page
    > >> it says there are no special requirements to download or activate the
    > >> software - but the tastech page says an authorised academic email
    > >> address is required.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.

    > >Well maybe one could say they're a bit naughty. There's no special
    > >activatioin requirements for the AE/UE editions - one is supposed to
    > >provide evidence of being a student before *purchasing*. Hope that
    > >clarifies.

    > I don't think that's quite true. According to this web page, you
    > can't get an activation code without a valid academic email address
    >
    > http://store.digitalriver.com/store/msshnz/html/en_NZ/pbPage.Terms
    >
    > and quite likely the website that is selling this is untraceable and
    > doesn't give people their money back.

    That's buying through DR (MS owned?) only. If you buy off these folk,
    or someone else (eg Tastech, Harvey Norman etc), the onus is on the
    vendor to get the proof.

    Indeed, this was the case a year ago (perhaps things have changed - MS
    have always been pretty damn draconian - GUA etc - fuken idiots if you
    ask me - business wants and needs to be legal, they have no problem
    about paying), when my aunt purchased the AE edition of Office for her
    son-in-law from Harvey Norman. The student ID had to be gained and
    shown. No other special product activation requirements were needed.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 22, 2012
  7. nospam

    bostontrader

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Software Care World Atlanta GA

    They are Microsoft Silver partner #4298724017 so it looks legit.
    I wondered the same thing.
    bostontrader, Nov 22, 2012
  8. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    (snip)
    > MS
    >have always been pretty damn draconian - GUA etc - fuken idiots if you
    >ask me - business wants and needs to be legal, they have no problem
    >about paying), when my aunt purchased the AE edition of Office for her
    >son-in-law from Harvey Norman. The student ID had to be gained and
    >shown. No other special product activation requirements were needed.

    I suspect however (without any data :) ), that MS would rather you used a
    pirated version of their s/w than any version of anyone else's. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 26, 2012
  9. nospam

    JCooper

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    SoftwareCareWorld is sketchy. Tried it. Wouldn't install correctly. Removed all drivers for all devices. Technical support was terrible. They told me to google my problem. Windows software never worked. They refused to give a refund.

    Don't waste your time or money.
    JCooper, Dec 1, 2012