Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Les & Claire, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    <snip>
    Olympus 840L digital camera 1.3 million pixels, with case,
    computer lead and software. Built in flash, 2 inch colour
    screen and 4mb memory card. As new condition (only selling
    because I got a new one with computer) very easy to use
    (manual included) £65 ono

    <snip>

    What do you think? Any good for first DC?

    Les

    --
    Top Posting© Since 1997

    "Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

    "That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

    Les & Claire, Sep 8, 2003

  2. "Les & Claire" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > Olympus 840L digital camera 1.3 million pixels, with case,
    > computer lead and software. Built in flash, 2 inch colour
    > screen and 4mb memory card. As new condition (only selling
    > because I got a new one with computer) very easy to use
    > (manual included) £65 ono
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > What do you think? Any good for first DC?
    >
    > Les

    1.3 Mp is very limiting. Cheap is not the same as a good value.

    Marvin Margoshes, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Les & Claire

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bjhj70$j1p44$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > What do you think? Any good for first DC?

    No. You will be frustrated with the lack of image quality and resolution
    and it will turn you off to digital, which would be a shame.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Les & Claire

    Dan Pidcock Guest

    "Les & Claire" <> wrote in message news:<bjhj70$j1p44$-berlin.de>...
    > <snip>
    > Olympus 840L digital camera 1.3 million pixels, with case,
    > computer lead and software. Built in flash, 2 inch colour
    > screen and 4mb memory card. As new condition (only selling
    > because I got a new one with computer) very easy to use
    > (manual included) £65 ono
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > What do you think? Any good for first DC?
    >
    > Les

    The camera is probably fine but seems too pricy for a 6 year old
    camera to me. Second hand you have no comebacks.

    You can get several new cameras for under £100 at
    www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk with a zoom lens and higher
    resolution. Argos do a compact polaroid PDC 2070 for £90 with 2.1
    MPixels but no zoom.

    Also amazon have very good returns policy. I bought a cheap £40
    1.3MPixel camera from them but it was really bad quality and kept
    losing images. They took it back no questions.

    Dan

    Dan Pidcock, Sep 8, 2003
  5. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    OK, point taken... thanks for the advice. Saved me from buying a lemon.

    Thanks again!

    Les

    Les & Claire, Sep 8, 2003
  6. Les & Claire

    Fel Tramain Guest

    > > Olympus 840L digital camera 1.3 million pixels, with case,
    > > computer lead and software. Built in flash, 2 inch colour
    > > screen and 4mb memory card. As new condition (only selling
    > > because I got a new one with computer) very easy to use
    > > (manual included) £65 ono

    If this was a good deal, the guy selling it would take it.

    Seriously, people don't get rid of and sell good stuff, they buy good
    stuff and see if any suckers will buy the old outdated stuff off of
    them.

    You should look into the camera that this guy just got that is better
    than this one he wants to get rid of.

    Fel Tramain, Sep 8, 2003
  7. Les & Claire

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > > > Olympus 840L digital camera 1.3 million pixels, with case,
    > > > computer lead and software. Built in flash, 2 inch colour
    > > > screen and 4mb memory card. As new condition (only selling
    > > > because I got a new one with computer) very easy to use
    > > > (manual included) £65 ono

    > If this was a good deal, the guy selling it would take it.
    >
    > Seriously, people don't get rid of and sell good stuff, they buy good
    > stuff and see if any suckers will buy the old outdated stuff off of
    > them.
    >
    > You should look into the camera that this guy just got that is better
    > than this one he wants to get rid of.

    That's ridiculous. People sell things many times because the item simply
    no longer meets their personal needs but it may be perfect for someone
    else. Every digital camera I have sold on Ebay has fit this scenario and
    the people who bought them received well taken care of equipment at a
    reasonable price.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 8, 2003
  8. Les & Claire

    Fel Tramain Guest

    > > If this was a good deal, the guy selling it would take it.
    > >
    > > Seriously, people don't get rid of and sell good stuff, they buy good
    > > stuff and see if any suckers will buy the old outdated stuff off of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > You should look into the camera that this guy just got that is better
    > > than this one he wants to get rid of.

    > That's ridiculous. People sell things many times because the item simply
    > no longer meets their personal needs but it may be perfect for someone
    > else.

    I couldn't imagine for WHO an old outdated obsolete item would be perfect
    for, then I read further...

    > Every digital camera I have sold on Ebay has

    Aha! This explains why you are saying what you are. You do the same
    thing, try to find suckers to buy what you find worthless or not good enough
    to keep around yourself.

    > fit this scenario and
    > the people who bought them received well taken care of equipment at a
    > reasonable price.

    Money they could have used towards a good camera.

    Fel Tramain, Sep 9, 2003
  9. Les & Claire

    Stewy Guest

    I'd recommend either looking for a used 3 or 2 megapixel, or check out the
    end-of-the-line cameras eg the Fuji 50i - this was discontinued in Japan
    over 2 years ago and can be had for a fraction of it's original RRP.

    Stewy, Sep 9, 2003
  10. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    Well, a friend of ours has a more recent camera that she doesn't get on
    with. We are trying it out for the weekend and if it meets our needs we can
    buy it. Not sure what it is yet mind you.....

    Les

    Les & Claire, Sep 9, 2003