Is this a firewall problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John H. Power, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. I have recently purchased a subscription to our county clerk's office
    computer. I connect to the computer via a program called "mobile user
    VPN" and then use a program called TN5250 to actually access the sign
    on screen. I have a DSL connection at both my office and my home with
    the same provider (bellsouth.net) and the same router. I have no
    problem accessing the computer database at my office. However, at
    home, the VPN software shows me connected but then when I activate the
    TN5250 software is says "unable to open communications stream"

    My network settings show the connection to be a dial up connection. I
    am using XP Servicepack 2 on both machines.

    I loaded the software on to my notebook and when I am in the office I
    can sign on with no problem but when I try it at home I get that same
    message.

    Can anyone give me any ideas as to how I might resolve this problem?

    Thanks

    P.S. Since this is an unmoderated group I expect some responses will
    tell me how stupid I am for not being able to figure it out, or that I
    should use Linux etc., etc.. I will ignore those comments but would
    appreciate input from anyone who might give me some suggestions.

    John H. Power, Mar 11, 2005

  2. John H. Power

    GTS Guest

    It would appear that the only variable is the configuration of the two
    routers. I would check this looking particularly at any port forwarding or
    firewall related settings.

    GTS, Mar 11, 2005

  3. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:25:48 GMT, "GTS" <> wrote:

    >It would appear that the only variable is the configuration of the two
    >routers. I would check this looking particularly at any port forwarding or
    >firewall related settings.

    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I am not sure what "port
    forwarding" is, how to check it and what to look for. As for the
    Windows firewall. I tried turning that off and it did not make a
    difference.

    John H. Power, Mar 11, 2005
  4. John H. Power

    GTS Guest

    I was referring to firewall functionality in the router. Port forwarding is
    also set there. See
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp for some
    explanation. I suggest you consult your router's documentation (you can
    probably download it from the manufacturer if you've lost it) on how to
    access your router's configuration and review the settings.

    GTS, Mar 12, 2005