Is this A+ Book any good?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Gondo, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    I know most everyone here considers Mike Meyers' A+ All In One book the
    "bible" when it comes A+ test prep, even I own the 5th edition and
    refer to it often.

    Has anyone read/used the following newer A+ cert. book?:

    CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide - by Quentin Docter, Emmett Dulaney,
    Toby Skandier, published October 30, 2006.

    It has only one review on Amazon (4 stars) and the reviewer glowed
    about the "Real Life Scenarios" presented in the book. The book seems
    to take a somewhat different approach than "All In One" and seems like
    it would be a good complement to Mike's book.

    It covers the new CompTIA 4-test format as well. I'm planning on taking
    the A+ exams soon, and am thinking about buying this book as an
    additional study guide.

    Just wanted to run it past the group in the hope someone has read all
    or parts of it and would like to share their opinion on whether it
    would be worth buying.

    Thanks!

    Gondo, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Gondo

    Patrick Q Guest

    I have this one for sale on EBAY right now.... I passed my tests...the flash
    cards and CD's are GREAT!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270075060093

    Pat

    Patrick Q, Jan 4, 2007

  3. Gondo

    JohnO Guest

    > Has anyone read/used the following newer A+ cert. book?:
    >
    > CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide - by Quentin Docter, Emmett Dulaney,
    > Toby Skandier, published October 30, 2006.

    The second edition should be very good.

    -John O

    JohnO, Jan 4, 2007
  4. Gondo

    Guest

    I am seriously thinking about getting my A+ certification.

    Which of the two books do you think would be the best? (I'll be going
    for the 2006 certification)
    /....brian

    Gondo wrote:
    > I know most everyone here considers Mike Meyers' A+ All In One book the
    > "bible" when it comes A+ test prep, even I own the 5th edition and
    > refer to it often.
    >
    > Has anyone read/used the following newer A+ cert. book?:
    >
    > CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide - by Quentin Docter, Emmett Dulaney,
    > Toby Skandier, published October 30, 2006.
    >
    > It has only one review on Amazon (4 stars) and the reviewer glowed
    > about the "Real Life Scenarios" presented in the book. The book seems
    > to take a somewhat different approach than "All In One" and seems like
    > it would be a good complement to Mike's book.
    >
    > It covers the new CompTIA 4-test format as well. I'm planning on taking
    > the A+ exams soon, and am thinking about buying this book as an
    > additional study guide.
    >
    > Just wanted to run it past the group in the hope someone has read all
    > or parts of it and would like to share their opinion on whether it
    > would be worth buying.
    >
    > Thanks!

    , Jan 5, 2007
  5. Gondo

    Patrick Q Guest

    All I know is the one I have on e-bay for $25 has 3 cd's and flashcards....
    the book is 2 inches thick and didn't read much of it, but i used the sample
    tests and the training on the CD's to re-enforce what I knew. The
    flashcards helped me as well.

    Patrick Q, Jan 5, 2007
  6. Gondo

    JohnO Guest

    wrote:
    > I am seriously thinking about getting my A+ certification.
    >
    > Which of the two books do you think would be the best? (I'll be going
    > for the 2006 certification)

    Meyers' 2003 A+ book is probably better than the Sybex book (I read
    every page) for the 2006 exams.

    (sorry Pat...but I must be honest about this one.)

    -John O

    JohnO, Jan 5, 2007
  7. Gondo

    Patrick Q Guest

    Well, this was the only one I bought, it had 2 - 20% off certificates in it
    at the time.... The flash cards and the Cd's were what I used the most, and
    NOW for $25 plus shipping, it's a steal.

    Patrick Q, Jan 5, 2007
  8. Gondo

    JohnO Guest

    Patrick Q wrote:
    > Well, this was the only one I bought, it had 2 - 20% off certificates in it
    > at the time.... The flash cards and the Cd's were what I used the most, and
    > NOW for $25 plus shipping, it's a steal.

    At that price, I agree. :)

    -John O

    JohnO, Jan 5, 2007
  9. Gondo

    Guest

    Yeah, I had been using this book as the basic text book really it
    covers all the exam objectives and the language is lucid and topics are
    well explained but also had ucertify prepkit apart from the practice
    questions, the study notes were brief and not only up to the point but
    also proved helpful in brushing up my knowledge before I faced the real
    exam.

    , Jan 9, 2007