    the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.

    Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.

    Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.
    Vincent Leung, Feb 8, 2007

  2. If you are getting a "Windows Installer" error, you can download the
    latest version of this at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803. Try
    that and see if it resolves your issue.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    "Vincent Leung" <> wrote in
    message news::

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 8, 2007

  3. find the template folder location and replace the templates with pcs from a
    different pc that work. See if corrupted files are trying to be used by
    windows installer

    Keith Chilton, Feb 8, 2007
  4. I had Windows Installer issues about 2-3 weeks ago. I had a repair utility
    downloaded to fix windows installer by microsoft. Oddly enough, it tried to
    launch windows installer to run the repair utility. It was irony at it's
    best......

    I did find an install package that didnt use windows installer, but it still
    didnt help....

    Ended up formatting the PC in the end. I spent too much time on it and was
    at a brick wall..

    Hope yours comes out better than mine..............

    Keith Chilton, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Vincent Leung

    Richard Guest

    Keith
    I have read many of your posts here. And a few times if I remember
    correctly you have reformatted PC's at work.

    I just wonder what you do for a backup scheme, it seems that reformatting
    would be somewhat
    intrusive for the operator. I know when I had Win98 reformatting was
    expected
    every so often, and I always liked my PC after a reformat, clean and new
    again.

    Just curious.

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Before I format I get

    1) User Documents
    2) Internet Favorites
    3) Take note of drivers from
    A) Graphics Adapter Manufacturer / Type
    B) Network Adapter Manufacturer / Type
    C) Sound Card Manufacturer / Type

    Off we go! haha Yes it's very intrusive and I try my best to avoid it, but
    sometimes it's the only option (especially with quirky 98 systems) I'm
    trying to get everyone off of 98 though. I hate em. It's always advised to
    defrag after formatting if you didnt know btw. I like pinning system
    utilities in the start menu as well , like disk defrag, system restore, disk
    cleanup, command prompt and calculator just so i can say less on the phone
    when i'm on the phone with the user troubleshooting.

    Keith
    Keith Chilton, Feb 9, 2007
  7. You office still runs Windows 98??? For what reason?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 9, 2007
  8. Vincent Leung

    RemoteShark Guest

    Would you not consider using Ghost. It saves alot of time, money and hair!!
    *giggle*
    I can have a lab of 22 computer reimaged in 11 minutes...go figure, it takes
    ppl that much time to find the windows 98 startup disk. I am a desktop
    tech/admin for 600 desktop/laptop environment. Of course I would love to
    manually format computers all day and learn more on the job, but todays
    practices doesnt allow me to do just that, so mainly if I have a classroom of
    computers all junked up and 22 students waiting, i can#t afford to dwindle
    and think hmmmm where is my win98 boot disk. 26 hours later... still not on
    the net.

    What setup environment do you have?

    L8r
    RemoteShark

    RemoteShark, Feb 9, 2007
  9. Well it was bought before i got here and just gradually as we buy more PCs
    are replacing them...

    --
    Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
    River Valley Financial Bank

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Feb 9, 2007
  10. Vincent Leung

    Scuba_Dave Guest

    "Vincent Leung" wrote:

    > Hi to all
    >
    > My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
    > display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error 1605"
    > error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I did
    > some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
    > 327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try it yet.
    >
    > I even tried the following methods "
    >
    > Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and reboot
    > the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.
    > Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.
    > Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

    We aren't even supposed to troubelshoot issues at work any more
    If there is a problem, the PC is re-imaged
    We don't back up the users data, they are not supposed to keep anything on
    the local PC. They are supposed to save to the network. Anything on the local
    PC is the responsibility of the user to back up
    We swap in an imaged drive & save the other drive for 2 weeks
    After that the old drive is re-imaged

    We still have Windows 95 PC's at work, but do not have any that login to the
    network. The last WIN95 PC logging in was recently replaced
    We still have Windows 98 PC's on the network, until recently the number was
    over 200 (out fo 3400). There are certain applications that will only run on
    WIndows 98
    They will not buy the new software - $4k for a floppy
    "If it aint' broke - don't fix it"
    And 90% of the XP installations are still running SP1
    90% are still using Office 2000, certain apps only work with Word 2000

    There are NO plans to even consider Vista or Office 2007
    We are just starting to rollout SP2 & Office 2003 on the newest image!!
    Scuba_Dave, Feb 12, 2007
  11. Can you give me a good learning link for imaging Dave? I need to learn more
    about it. I have never even done it before.

    Keith Chilton, Feb 12, 2007
  12. Vincent Leung

    Scuba_Dave Guest

    "Jonathan Roberts" wrote:

    > Keith Chilton wrote:
    > > Can you give me a good learning link for imaging Dave? I need to learn more
    > > about it. I have never even done it before.

    > Get a trial of Ghost. It is pretty intuitive.

    Imaging is pretty straight forward, but our Desktop Engineering Dept creates
    the images

    Basically you have a PC that you "take" the image from
    There are tools you need to use - sysprep, plus others to prepare the system
    I haven't kept up with the details

    Our involvement: on the ghost server we start a session & select the image
    to use
    On the PC we boot from a CD & it connects to the server & downloads the image
    You then boot the PC & it finalizes installation
    Sorry I can't be more help
    But a trial version should be easy to use as stated
    Just a note, if you are doing this at work - imaging can create a a massive
    amount of traffic. We do all of our imaging in a lab - not across the network
    Scuba_Dave, Feb 13, 2007
  13. i see.. it is one of those topics i need to know the basics about and learn
    off the internet .. just like dynamic disks.. something i've never actually
    done but need to know for this test more than likely

    Keith Chilton, Feb 13, 2007
  14. It's a pretty basic thing overall. When you image a PC once, you've got it
    down pat then. It's simple.

    Setting up the server and getting the PCs to connect to that server might be
    a different story. Probably not too difficult...I believe I'll be finding
    that out here myself soon. Ever since I started at this job (back in
    December), I've been doingabout 95% of the imaging. Now they want to put me
    in charge of the Ghost server.

    At my current job, we use Ghost to image PCs. And I've done it so many
    times I can practically walk through the process blindfolded. LOL. At my
    previous job, we used DriveImage at first, then switched to Ghost. The
    transition was painless. In fact, I think it went rather smoothly and there
    really wasn't much of a learning curve to deal with...it actually seemed
    easier to use than DriveImage (and that wasn't too difficult either).
    Frank Shannon, Feb 15, 2007
  15. Vincent Leung

    Mark Guest

    Hi Scuba_dave

    sorry to hear your predicament with work, i would hate a DST job that never
    seems to fix anything just re-image, doesn't test your skills any i would
    imagine, unless your into imaging....

    your 2003 problem, it sounds like the core template is corrupt in some way,
    you could try copying the template from a good machine and overwriting the
    original, alot of tempramental problems i've found can be fixed with 2003 by
    removing office completely and deleting the office folder in program files
    (the frontpage one won't go until you reboot, doesn't matter if you leave it
    anyway) reboot, install the full installation and change the install path to
    something different than either the default or what the original path was -
    with a different path, the registry seems to forget the old problems.... not
    the best way of fixing something i agree, as you haven't really fixed it,
    but when its a matter of either 3hrs researching it or 30mins reinstalling,
    it pays to reinstall sometimes.

    i've alway found a detect and repair useless, i have fixed one PC with a
    detect and repair, if it can't see the problem file it seems like it does
    nothing to the installation, i would have expected it to at least replace
    the core files as a matter of course (like the templates). it take almost as
    long to remove and reinstall

    hope this helps

    Mark

    Mark, Feb 15, 2007