    be good enough. Please note though, I am aware of the less legal
    possibilities but that's not my bag :)

    Any ideas or comments on the ramifications of zero NT platform experience?

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 4, 2004

  2. Jonathan Miles, May 4, 2004

  3. "Bloke_in_a_box" <> wrote in message
    news:c78l3d$g45$...
    > Studying A+ solely from a book, and my own experience building my own

    PC(s),
    > I'm worried about the implications of having absolutely no experience with
    > any NT/2000/XP based sytems.
    > I own 95, 98 and ME, but I can't afford the others, nor do I attend any
    > instructor led classes where I might otherwise experience these OS's.
    > My girlfriend has a Word course, which gives you a mock up of Word you can
    > manipulate to assist your absorption of the material, and I was wondering

    if
    > there is anything like this for the OS's?
    > Maybe there's a trial version of XP that expires in a few days? That

    would
    > be good enough. Please note though, I am aware of the less legal
    > possibilities but that's not my bag :)
    >
    > Any ideas or comments on the ramifications of zero NT platform experience?

    IMHO, you definitely need hands-on experience with 2000/XP in order to pass
    the OS test. There's just too many things about it that you can't learn
    unless you sit down in front of a computer and play aroundwith it. I don't
    know of any "mock up OS's" out there, but I think the tests are much too
    broad for something like that to be of any value.

    I already owned a copy of XP, but "borrowed" a Windows 2000 and Windows 98
    CD from my friend to practice for the OS test. Yes, that's entirely
    illegal, but I don't really care. I never used those OSes for anything but
    practicing anyway. Legal and ethical issues aside, that's probably your
    most realistic option unless you want to spend cash on an OS you'll never
    use again.

    Patrick Michael, May 4, 2004
  4. Bloke_in_a_box

    Nate Guest

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 17:49:33 +0000, Bloke_in_a_box wrote:

    > Studying A+ solely from a book, and my own experience building my own
    > PC(s), I'm worried about the implications of having absolutely no
    > experience with any NT/2000/XP based sytems. I own 95, 98 and ME, but I
    > can't afford the others, nor do I attend any instructor led classes
    > where I might otherwise experience these OS's. My girlfriend has a Word
    > course, which gives you a mock up of Word you can manipulate to assist
    > your absorption of the material, and I was wondering if there is
    > anything like this for the OS's? Maybe there's a trial version of XP
    > that expires in a few days? That would be good enough. Please note
    > though, I am aware of the less legal possibilities but that's not my bag
    > :)
    >
    > Any ideas or comments on the ramifications of zero NT platform
    > experience?

    Bloke,

    You can likely find what you are looking for in books covering the M$
    certifications for the OS's your wanting to learn. I have a set of MCSE
    books published by Microsoft Press and each one has a trial version of the
    software it covers in the back of the book. From these books I have trial
    versions of Win2k Pro, Server and Exchange 2000.

    The books will cost you about $50~$60 each but that is a lot better than
    shelling out for even an OEM version of each OS or violating M$'s
    copyrights. Also the books may help you get a better idea of what's going
    on in the NT based OS's that you say you don't have much experience with.

    I've never even looked at practice questions for the A+ so I have no idea
    how much NT material is in the test, but I think you'd probably be doing
    yourself a favor buy studying for the NT based OS's anyway.

    All the books I have mentioned are available from book stores like
    Borders, I'm sure you can get them directly from Microsoft Press too.
    Also, if you decide to get yourself some books like I mentioned make sure
    they actually have the CD's in the back as some don't.

    Good luck,
    Nate

    Nate, May 5, 2004
  5. Bloke_in_a_box

    bobG Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message news:<TrSlc.18767$5a.15080@okepread03>...
    > "Bloke_in_a_box" <> wrote in message
    > > Studying A+ solely from a book, and my own experience building my own

    > PC(s),
    > > I'm worried about the implications of having absolutely no experience with
    > > any NT/2000/XP based sytems.
    > > I own 95, 98 and ME, but I can't afford the others, nor do I attend any
    > > instructor led classes where I might otherwise experience these OS's.
    > > My girlfriend has a Word course, which gives you a mock up of Word you can
    > > manipulate to assist your absorption of the material, and I was wondering

    > if
    > > there is anything like this for the OS's?
    > > Maybe there's a trial version of XP that expires in a few days? That

    > would
    > > be good enough. Please note though, I am aware of the less legal
    > > possibilities but that's not my bag :)
    > >
    > > Any ideas or comments on the ramifications of zero NT platform experience?

    > IMHO, you definitely need hands-on experience with 2000/XP in order to pass
    > the OS test. There's just too many things about it that you can't learn
    > unless you sit down in front of a computer and play aroundwith it. I don't
    > know of any "mock up OS's" out there, but I think the tests are much too
    > broad for something like that to be of any value.
    >
    > I already owned a copy of XP, but "borrowed" a Windows 2000 and Windows 98
    > CD from my friend to practice for the OS test. Yes, that's entirely
    > illegal, but I don't really care. I never used those OSes for anything but
    > practicing anyway. Legal and ethical issues aside, that's probably your
    > most realistic option unless you want to spend cash on an OS you'll never
    > use again.

    I got a cheap ($9)Microsoft MCSE training kit from Amazon's used book
    section - it was brand new, never opened, and included a 120 day trial
    version of Win2000 Pro. It will time out, but can be re-installed for
    continued testing purposes. Also, once you've gotten your A+, you can
    use the material for the MCSE 70-210. Lots of Win2000 systems out
    there still, even with the advent of XP. Also, try www.nextag.com or
    similar for finding NT 4.0 Workstation cheap also. I saw a couple
    sites, but can't seem to recall them right now.

    Bob

    bobG, May 5, 2004
  6. Ah those books are a good idea! Something I wouldn't have thought of,
    thanks very much :)

    Bloke_in_a_box

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 5, 2004
  7. Hmm, Server looks interesting! That would certainly help me just for some
    experience with other OS's even if not specifically XP. I assume, judging
    by its positioning, that it's NT based also.
    Now I know my NTLDR from my elbow, I might even be able to dual boot without
    catastrophe.

    Thanks very much

    Bloke_in_a_box

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 5, 2004
  8. Bloke_in_a_box

    Nate Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:52:33 +0000, Bloke_in_a_box wrote:

    > Ah those books are a good idea! Something I wouldn't have thought of,
    > thanks very much :)
    >
    > Bloke_in_a_box

    No problem Bloke, glad to be of help. Good luck on your cert's!
    Nate

    Nate, May 5, 2004
  9. Thanks for this, I just signed up for the trial XP, it will certainly do for
    the minimal poking around I intend to do with it.

    That gives me a great opportunity to accidentally eradicate my current ME
    install whilst attempting to dual boot.

    Whee! :p

    Bloke
    "SchroedingerzKat" <> wrote in message
    > >I'm worried about the implications of having absolutely no experience

    with
    > >any NT/2000/XP based sytems.
    > >I own 95, 98 and ME, but I can't afford the others,

    > XP home license only is $55. NT license + CD is $20 or less.
    >
    > nor do I attend any
    > >instructor led classes where I might otherwise experience these OS's.
    > >My girlfriend has a Word course, which gives you a mock up of Word you

    can
    > >manipulate to assist your absorption of the material, and I was wondering

    if
    > >there is anything like this for the OS's?
    > >Maybe there's a trial version of XP that expires in a few days?

    > There is an XP trial for UK residents. Also I think the Server 2003 trial

    is

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 12, 2004