Is there such a thing as a program that can tell me what kind of file a file is?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Happy@Camper.Com, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Jan 3, 2005

  2. Dan DiNicolo Guest

    Dan DiNicolo, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Guest

    In case the filename extention is completely unknown or it's named
    wrong (a PDF document is somehow renamed to myfile.pdg, e.g.), then you
    can ftp the file to a UNIX/Linux box (preferably in binary mode) and
    type

    file thatfile

    to identify it. If it says "data", then the file is not recognized.
    Make sure the UNIX box is not too old, or /etc/magic would be outdated.
    Yong Huang

    , Jan 3, 2005
  4. MJP Guest

    Re: Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is wrong?

    Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is
    wrong?

    Quickview can sus most files.

    MJP

    MJP, Jan 3, 2005
  5. MJP Guest

    Re: Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is wrong?

    > Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is
    > wrong?
    >

    > Quickview can sus most files.

    Make that quickview plus

    MJP, Jan 3, 2005