    this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf or error.pdf to
    the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate file with original
    filename but is smaller than it should be and won't open.

    Ian Field, Oct 12, 2010

  2. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    "Grinder" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 10/12/2010 3:45 PM, Ian Field wrote:
    >> Is there something better than Xnews?
    >>
    >> Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left Xnews
    >> downloading overnight.
    >>
    >> When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    >> corrupted,
    >> this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf or error.pdf
    >> the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate file with original
    >> filename but is smaller than it should be and won't open.
    >>

    > It probably isn't your reader, but rather your usenet provider. I have
    > AT&T and it's virtually impossible to get multi-part binaries intact.
    > Apparently, some of the pay providers are better,

    You've found a free usenet server that actually works?!

    Ian Field, Oct 12, 2010

  3. Ian Field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:45:16 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left
    > Xnews downloading overnight.
    >
    > When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    > corrupted, this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf
    > or error.pdf to the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate
    > file with original filename but is smaller than it should be and won't
    > open.

    Were the headers complete? I don't recall experiencing your problems with
    my playing with Xnews even running it strictly in linux using Wine as an
    emulator. What newsgroup and file dates? Maybe I'll have a look.

    Meat Plow, Oct 12, 2010
  4. Ian Field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:05:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > "Grinder" <> wrote in message
    >> On 10/12/2010 3:45 PM, Ian Field wrote:
    >>> Is there something better than Xnews?
    >>>
    >>> Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left
    >>> Xnews downloading overnight.
    >>>
    >>> When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    >>> corrupted,
    >>> this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf or
    >>> error.pdf to
    >>> the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate file with
    >>> original filename but is smaller than it should be and won't open.
    >>>

    >> It probably isn't your reader, but rather your usenet provider. I have
    >> AT&T and it's virtually impossible to get multi-part binaries intact.
    >> Apparently, some of the pay providers are better,

    > You've found a free usenet server that actually works?!

    Free servers don't usually work well with binaries.

    Meat Plow, Oct 12, 2010
  5. "Ian Field" <> wrote in message
    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left Xnews
    > downloading overnight.
    >
    > When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    > corrupted, this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf or
    > error.pdf to the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate file
    > with original filename but is smaller than it should be and won't open.

    i downed a load of mags. [not dirty ones, just cartoons] on bittorrents.
    seems rather more straightforward than faffing around with usenet binaries.
    usenet text like on here is great ,tho'.

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Oct 12, 2010
  6. Ian Field

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ian Field wrote:
    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left Xnews
    > downloading overnight.

    Slyck's site has a lot of advice about newsgroup binaries. He rates
    Xnews ok, but his #1 is alt.binz.

    I recommend you find out about par and par2 and nzb files.

    http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide The Newsgroups Quick Start Guide -
    To enjoy everything the newsgroups have to offer, you need three
    essential things:
    1. A good newsgroup server - this is where your newsreader will download
    the files from. A server like Red Orb News provides Usenet Newsgroup access.
    2. A newsgroup reader - this is the program you will use to download
    from the newsgroups.
    3. Access to an indexing site - this is where you will browse or search
    for things to download from the newsgroups.

    http://www.slyck.com/altbinz.php Slyck's Guide To alt.binz

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 12, 2010
  7. Ian Field

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-10-12, Ian Field <> wrote:
    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left Xnews
    > downloading overnight.
    >
    > When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were corrupted,
    > this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf or error.pdf to
    > the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate file with original
    > filename but is smaller than it should be and won't open.

    You will stand a better chance of getting 'completes' if you use a
    purpose-built binary 'newsreader' (which Xnews isn't) and possibly
    multiple news-servers. Ask in news.software.readers for advice about such
    things.

    Alternatively, use a protocol designed for handling large binary files,
    which NNTP isn't. Gopher, FTP, and HTTP, spring to mind. If several
    people want the same files at the same time, a peer-to-peer system might
    be best.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 12, 2010
  8. Ian Field

    Capt Picard Guest

    In article <i92m0g$k0i$>,
    §nühw¤£f <> wrote:

    > In message <xN3to.14036$2>, "Ian Field" pondered the
    > following:
    > > Is there something better than Xnews?
    > >

    > Yur mom. But only when shes drunk.
    >
    > <nods>
    >
    > Use a newsreader thats designed for BINARY files?
    > Uhhhhhhhh...muh muh muh maybe?
    >
    > Liek NewsShark?

    or....GET A MAC

    Capt Picard, Oct 12, 2010
  9. Ian Field

    chuckcar Guest

    "Ian Field" <> wrote in

    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left
    > Xnews downloading overnight.
    >
    > When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    > corrupted, this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either
    > _0.pdf or error.pdf to the corrupted file, there will usually be a
    > duplicate file with original filename but is smaller than it should be
    > and won't open.

    Bnr2 works better for batch downloading from a free server. The problem
    is almost certainly the server refusing a connection from time to time.
    It absolutely would be the case if you're using the test-news server. A
    refused connection causes xnews to cancel the current file and move to
    the next file in the queue. It takes the cancelled file and appends all
    parts to the end of the queue. So if you get more than one connection refused
    per file, you don't get everything.

    BNR2 however,only worries about the next part. It will try endlessly to
    get the next needed part. Only once it's retrieved will it then proceed
    to the next article.

    Agent might be a better choice as well, but I haven't used it in a few
    years now.

    This is a question for news.software readers. BTW.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 12, 2010
  10. Ian Field

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:45:16 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left Xnews
    > downloading overnight.
    >
    > When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were corrupted,
    > this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf or error.pdf to
    > the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate file with original
    > filename but is smaller than it should be and won't open.

    www.newsbin.com

    While it costs $40, it is by far the best binary newsreader in the
    business.
    Multiparts are handled as one complete file from the get go.
    I've used it for years and have had no complaints.

    www.newsguy.com
    Pay by the year for big discount.

    richard, Oct 13, 2010
  11. Ian Field

    thanatoid Guest

    "Ian Field" <> wrote in

    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines,
    > which I left Xnews downloading overnight.
    >
    > When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded
    > files were corrupted, this happens fairly frequently -
    > Xnews appends either _0.pdf or error.pdf to the corrupted
    > file, there will usually be a duplicate file with original
    > filename but is smaller than it should be and won't open.

    That does not /seem/ like an XNews problem, the stuff was either
    poorly posted or your server is crap.

    IMO, XNews is the best nr overall, and it is just fine for
    binaries, unless you get ///really/// serious and want to use
    nzb files and have 30 simultaneous connections (XNews offers 4
    max and does not do nzb).

    If so, get GrabIt. Great for /grabbing/ binaries, and does nzb
    files. (I /have/ noticed it sometimes mishandles yEnc files, but
    you can decode them using a stand alone utility - and it happens
    /very/ rarely.)

    binsearch.info makes nzb files for you after you find what you
    want.

    GrabIt will also automatically repair using pars but I prefer to
    do it manually. It sucks AFA posting. IMO, it is only good for
    GRABBING binaries. YMMV.

    www.shemes.com

    You have to /pay/ to get decent binary service. I recommend
    Astraweb. $25 for 180GB's - no time limit. Or a regular monthly
    charge.

    http://www.astraweb.com

    Both Astraweb and GrabIt offer SSL if you want that option.

    Torrents are a good alternative and cost nothing, but some stuff
    has so few seeders you will NEVER actually get it.

    That's all you need to know about getting binaries.

    I recommend you NOT visit news.software readers. It's full of
    assholes like Yetto. MUCH worse, in fact.

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid

    thanatoid, Oct 13, 2010
  12. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:05:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >
    >> "Grinder" <> wrote in message

    >>> It probably isn't your reader, but rather your usenet provider. I have
    >>> AT&T and it's virtually impossible to get multi-part binaries intact.
    >>> Apparently, some of the pay providers are better,

    >> You've found a free usenet server that actually works?!

    > Free servers don't usually work well with binaries.

    In the present context I wouldn't mean any other kind.

    Ian Field, Oct 13, 2010
  13. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:45:16 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >
    >> Is there something better than Xnews?
    >>
    >> Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left
    >> Xnews downloading overnight.
    >>
    >> When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    >> corrupted, this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf
    >> or error.pdf to the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate
    >> file with original filename but is smaller than it should be and won't
    >> open.

    > Were the headers complete? I don't recall experiencing your problems with
    > my playing with Xnews even running it strictly in linux using Wine as an
    > emulator. What newsgroup and file dates? Maybe I'll have a look.

    Alt.binaries.e-book.technical There's a huge collection of old radio 73
    magazine spanning a lot of file dates.

    Ian Field, Oct 13, 2010
  14. Capt Picard wrote:
    > In article <i92m0g$k0i$>,
    > §nühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <xN3to.14036$2>, "Ian Field" pondered the
    >> following:
    >>> Is there something better than Xnews?
    >>>

    >> Yur mom. But only when shes drunk.
    >>
    >> <nods>
    >>
    >> Use a newsreader thats designed for BINARY files?
    >> Uhhhhhhhh...muh muh muh maybe?
    >>
    >> Liek NewsShark?

    > or....GET A MAC

    Not anymoer. I dont shill for Apple nowadays.

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 13, 2010
  15. Ian Field

    Anyone Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:45:16 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > Is there something better than Xnews?
    >
    > Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left
    > Xnews downloading overnight.
    >
    > When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    > corrupted, this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf
    > or error.pdf to the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate
    > file with original filename but is smaller than it should be and won't
    > open.

    Go ogle this:

    xnews cache
    About 97,400 results (0.11 seconds)

    Anyone, Oct 13, 2010
  16. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message

    > "Ian Field" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there something better than Xnews?
    >>
    >> Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left Xnews
    >> downloading overnight.
    >>
    >> When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    >> corrupted, this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf
    >> or error.pdf to the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate
    >> file with original filename but is smaller than it should be and won't
    >> open.
    >>

    > i downed a load of mags. [not dirty ones, just cartoons] on bittorrents.
    > seems rather more straightforward than faffing around with usenet
    > binaries.
    > usenet text like on here is great ,tho'.

    IME there's a high risk of malware when downloading torrents, and the old
    radio 73 magazine complete run probably isn't available anywhere else than
    the NG.

    Ian Field, Oct 13, 2010
  17. "Ian Field" <> wrote in message

    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ian Field" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is there something better than Xnews?
    >>>
    >>> Someone kindly posted a large collection of magazines, which I left
    >>> Xnews downloading overnight.
    >>>
    >>> When I opened the folder more than half the downloaded files were
    >>> corrupted, this happens fairly frequently - Xnews appends either _0.pdf
    >>> or error.pdf to the corrupted file, there will usually be a duplicate
    >>> file with original filename but is smaller than it should be and won't
    >>> open.
    >>>

    >> i downed a load of mags. [not dirty ones, just cartoons] on bittorrents.
    >> seems rather more straightforward than faffing around with usenet
    >> binaries.
    >> usenet text like on here is great ,tho'.

    > IME there's a high risk of malware when downloading torrents, and the old
    > radio 73 magazine complete run probably isn't available anywhere else than
    > the NG.

    imho there's just as much risk with any facility that offers downloads.
    depends what you're downloading, ateotd.
    media like mags, films, should be ok.
    malware has been posted to usenet, even on here, so what.
    one has anti mal/antivir for that. or should ..
    fwiw im on demonoid, i might take the risk to download an app on occasions.
    if the sourcer has a good rep.
    as to anything only being available on ng, thats the choice of the sourcer.
    he/she could just as easily make a torrent. in fact it might be easier ..

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Oct 13, 2010
  18. Ian Field

    battlecow

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    what is the best usnet server

    I have been a member of tera, giga, easy and a few others. what is the best server for COMPLETE files. it seems like any interesting file i try to download is incomplete. any suggestions?

    battlecow, Nov 7, 2013