Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensions so I can print to 4x6 format wi

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wally, Nov 27, 2012.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
    any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
    is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
    the screen.

    Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
    because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
    common albums.

    The places that print JPGs allow me to crop the pics to fit 4x6, but
    in most cases that will crop picture area that I don't want to lose.
    Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
    some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
    do that.

    I can go into software and edit the pic to do this, leaving nice gray
    margins on either side. But it's not practical to do a couple hundred
    like this.

    Irfanview supports batch jobs, and allows setting the canvas size to a
    desired size in pixels. But that won't work for me, because the
    original files don't have consistent dimensions.

    Paint Shop Pro seems to be similar - I can set the required dimensions
    in pixels or in length units, but that won't work if the origs have
    many different sizes.

    So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
    hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
    areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.

    Wally

    Wally, Nov 27, 2012

  2. Wally

    Mayayana Guest

    This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but may
    be of interest. I wrote a program some years ago for
    a friend who travels a lot and gets lots of pictures
    printed. She wanted an easy way to prepare 100s of
    photos for printing. I wrote a program that provides
    batch cropping and resizing, figuring that most photos
    could stand a bit of cropping to achieve the necessary
    dimensions. In the cases where auto-cropping is a problem,
    the image can be "mounted" on a background of the
    necessary dimensions. Additionally, a background color
    can be picked from the photo to improve the overall
    effect.

    But... While the software does batch cropping and
    auto-mounting to a specific dimension with custom
    background color, it does not do what you're asking
    for: batch background mounting.
    I hadn't thought, at the time, of a case where
    someone might want to just fit all photos to a generic
    background.

    If what I'm describing is of interest, see here:

    http://www.jsware.net/jsware/pprep.php5

    (The software is not free, but I don't mean to run
    an ad here. It can be used without paying. The only
    difference is that the trial version opens with a
    "nag screen". It's a simple program, but an attempt
    was made to operate at as high a quality as Windows
    allows. Resizing up uses bicubic resampling. JPG
    saving uses Microsoft's gdiplus.dll library.)

    Mayayana, Nov 27, 2012

  3. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:35:55 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:27:40 -0700, Wally <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
    >>any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
    >>is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
    >>the screen.
    >>
    >>Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
    >>because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
    >>common albums.
    >>
    >>The places that print JPGs allow me to crop the pics to fit 4x6, but
    >>in most cases that will crop picture area that I don't want to lose.
    >>Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
    >>some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
    >>do that.
    >>
    >>I can go into software and edit the pic to do this, leaving nice gray
    >>margins on either side. But it's not practical to do a couple hundred
    >>like this.
    >>
    >>Irfanview supports batch jobs, and allows setting the canvas size to a
    >>desired size in pixels. But that won't work for me, because the
    >>original files don't have consistent dimensions.
    >>
    >>Paint Shop Pro seems to be similar - I can set the required dimensions
    >>in pixels or in length units, but that won't work if the origs have
    >>many different sizes.

    >Paint Shop Pro will do what you want and let you print to either a
    >printer or a file.

    How?

    Wally

    Wally, Nov 27, 2012
  4. Wally

    nick c Guest

    Re: Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensionsso I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

    On 11/26/2012 11:27 PM, Wally wrote:
    > I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
    > any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
    > is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
    > the screen.
    >
    > Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
    > because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
    > common albums.
    >
    > The places that print JPGs allow me to crop the pics to fit 4x6, but
    > in most cases that will crop picture area that I don't want to lose.
    > Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
    > some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
    > do that.
    >
    > I can go into software and edit the pic to do this, leaving nice gray
    > margins on either side. But it's not practical to do a couple hundred
    > like this.
    >
    > Irfanview supports batch jobs, and allows setting the canvas size to a
    > desired size in pixels. But that won't work for me, because the
    > original files don't have consistent dimensions.
    >
    > Paint Shop Pro seems to be similar - I can set the required dimensions
    > in pixels or in length units, but that won't work if the origs have
    > many different sizes.
    >
    > So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
    > hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
    > areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.
    >
    > Wally

    I often use a program called Perfect Resize when I need to enlarge a
    small cropped (or otherwise reworked) picture. The pictures can be made
    to be 4x6 in size (or any size within reason that you may choose). I
    can't say the output is always perfect but more times than not, it'll do.

    Nick

    nick c, Nov 27, 2012
  5. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:53:48 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-27 12:42:07 -0800, said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:53:34 -0700, Wally <> wrote:

    >>> How?
    >>>
    >>> Wally

    >> Yes please, how!. I've been using Paint Shop Pro for years. I'm currently using
    >> PSP X, version 10. I often run into the same problem the OP is asking
    >> about. How
    >> can you force PSP to create a 4x6 or maybe 5x7 size print? Thanks in advance.

    >I don't see it happening without a downsize and a crop, unless the
    >native aspect ratio is obtainable out of the camera. All that would be
    >needed then, is a batch resize. Then you are also making the assumption
    >that every one of those shots has the composition you desire, and
    >doesn't need a custom crop.

    All the shots have been edited and are as desired, for viewing on
    screen -- but are mostly not 2:3, therefore not suitable for printing
    to 4x6".

    >The problem that exists is the random nature of arbitrary crops not
    >meeting the shooter's vision of his/her prints.
    >
    >Just setting up PSP, LR4, or any other editing software to batch crop
    >and resize 100's of images, removes the editing power of the crop from
    >the shooter, much as any print lab would. If that is what you are
    >prepared to sacrifice then go ahead.

    No, I don't want to crop at all. Instead of cropping, I want to fill
    or pad to get the images to 2:3.

    This is harder than I thought.

    Maybe I could use Irfanview to batch upsize them all so the short
    sides are all of consistent size, say 2000 pixels... then fix the
    canvas size so the other side is 3000 pixels. Might have to run that
    twice since vertical and horizontal shots might be treated
    differently.

    W.

    Wally, Nov 27, 2012
  6. Wally

    On 11/27/2012 2:03 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-27 13:49:57 -0800, nick c <> said:
    >
    >> On 11/26/2012 11:27 PM, Wally wrote:
    >>> I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
    >>> any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
    >>> is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
    >>> the screen.
    >>>
    >>> Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
    >>> because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
    >>> common albums.
    >>>
    >>> The places that print JPGs allow me to crop the pics to fit 4x6, but
    >>> in most cases that will crop picture area that I don't want to lose.
    >>> Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
    >>> some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
    >>> do that.
    >>>
    >>> I can go into software and edit the pic to do this, leaving nice gray
    >>> margins on either side. But it's not practical to do a couple hundred
    >>> like this.
    >>>
    >>> Irfanview supports batch jobs, and allows setting the canvas size to a
    >>> desired size in pixels. But that won't work for me, because the
    >>> original files don't have consistent dimensions.
    >>>
    >>> Paint Shop Pro seems to be similar - I can set the required dimensions
    >>> in pixels or in length units, but that won't work if the origs have
    >>> many different sizes.
    >>>
    >>> So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
    >>> hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
    >>> areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.
    >>>
    >>> Wally
    >>>

    >> I often use a program called Perfect Resize when I need to enlarge a
    >> small cropped (or otherwise reworked) picture. The pictures can be
    >> made to be 4x6 in size (or any size within reason that you may
    >> choose). I can't say the output is always perfect but more times than
    >> not, it'll do.
    >>
    >> Nick

    > Perfect Resize (PR formerly Genuine Fractals) does a good job of
    > extrapolating to larger and oversized files, but it still has the
    > problem or dimensional distortion as the OP has already informed us
    > there is no consistency regarding file dimensions and aspect ratios.
    > Only those images at 2:3 will do well with PR to get to 4''x 6'' without
    > distortion of image loss due to crop.

    Point well made. I just ran one of my shots through Perfect Resize
    making it into a 300 pixel...4x6 photo.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdk8f21mhqigq24/_DSC0077 copy-2.jpg

    nick c, Nov 27, 2012
  7. Wally

    On 11/27/2012 4:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-27 15:18:19 -0800, nick c <> said:

    >>> Perfect Resize (PR formerly Genuine Fractals) does a good job of
    >>> extrapolating to larger and oversized files, but it still has the
    >>> problem or dimensional distortion as the OP has already informed us
    >>> there is no consistency regarding file dimensions and aspect ratios.
    >>> Only those images at 2:3 will do well with PR to get to 4''x 6'' without
    >>> distortion of image loss due to crop.
    >>>

    >> Point well made. I just ran one of my shots through Perfect Resize
    >> making it into a 300 pixel...4x6 photo.
    >>
    >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdk8f21mhqigq24/_DSC0077 copy-2.jpg

    > I am guessing Long Beach.

    Right on.

    > My questions are;
    > What was the size as shot?

    I chose a shot at random from one of my folders, taken a few years ago
    while still using slide film, then scanned it. The original scan was
    about 59.56Wx39.56H. I later scanned it to became 7.5x5 (which was about
    what I wanted, at the time).

    Using the 7.5x5 scanned shot, I reduced/boosted it further to 300 Canon
    and 4x6 using Perfect Resize. I had once reduced the PPI count to 75 so
    it could be e-mailed to someone who didn't want big pictures mailed to her.

    > Did you crop to a 2:3 aspect ratio before using Perfect Resize to bring
    > to 4'' x 6''?

    See above. Not at any time was the picture cropped (other than resized)
    nor did a display show readily seen distortions. Actually, now that I
    think about it, I guess I could have run the original scan through
    Photoshop and corrected any distortions that may have been in the
    original scanned picture. But ... I didn't.

    nick c, Nov 28, 2012
  8. Wally

    Mayayana Guest

    I realized I had forgotten something. The program I
    linked will do what you want.
    See here:

    http://www.jsware.net/jsware/pprep.php5

    JS PhotoPrep
    Drop a folder onto the window, select quality level,
    select to save as BMP or JPG, check "Perform Crop",
    select dimension (or custom dimension), check
    "Mount for no-loss crop", and finally, select the
    background color. Then click "Process".

    As noted, this is a trial version, but it's fully functional
    with no time limit. If you don't mind the nag screen
    you can use it for free. (With all the free, tidbit photo
    editors around I get very few sales, anyway. :)

    Mayayana, Nov 28, 2012
  9. Wally

    Rob Guest

    On 28/11/2012 9:48 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > Wally <> wrote:
    >> I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
    >> any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
    >> is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
    >> the screen.
    >>
    >> Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
    >> because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
    >> common albums.

    >> So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
    >> hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
    >> areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.

    > That is a relatively simple task using ImageMagick
    > tools... if of course you are familiar with them and
    > with writing batch files.

    I did do this through a Photoshop action when when I was making heaps of
    flash presentations.

    The image was placed on a black background, and made to fit. Had one
    action for Vertical and another Horizontal images. Batched whole folders.

    Rob, Nov 28, 2012
  10. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:24:40 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:53:34 -0700, Wally <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:35:55 +1300, Eric Stevens
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Paint Shop Pro will do what you want and let you print to either a
    >>>printer or a file.

    >>How?
    >>

    >Here is a scan of a 6" x 4" test print I happened to have lying
    >around. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/Image1.jpg I presume that
    >this is the sort of thing you want. The length of the panoramic image
    >has been fitted to the paper and the top and bottom has been padded
    >with white space.
    >
    >If the image was taller than it was wide then the top and bottom of
    >the image would be fitted to the paper and it would be the sides that
    >were padded.

    OK, it looks good. Will have to give it a try. But I gotta admit that
    JS PhotoPrep sounds exactly right and real simple too.

    W.

    Wally, Nov 28, 2012
  11. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:33:26 -0500, "Mayayana"
    <> wrote:

    >I realized I had forgotten something. The program I
    >linked will do what you want.
    >See here:
    >
    >http://www.jsware.net/jsware/pprep.php5
    >
    >JS PhotoPrep
    >Drop a folder onto the window, select quality level,
    >select to save as BMP or JPG, check "Perform Crop",
    >select dimension (or custom dimension), check
    >"Mount for no-loss crop", and finally, select the
    >background color. Then click "Process".
    >
    > As noted, this is a trial version, but it's fully functional
    >with no time limit. If you don't mind the nag screen
    >you can use it for free. (With all the free, tidbit photo
    >editors around I get very few sales, anyway. :)

    Neat. Sounds exactly like what I need.

    Are you the author?

    W.

    Wally, Nov 28, 2012
  12. Wally

    Mayayana Guest

    | Neat. Sounds exactly like what I need.
    |
    | Are you the author?

    Yes. I've been writing shareware for years but
    this one was mainly designed for my photographer
    lady friend. She was going on trips and then
    spending weeks trying to crop hundreds of photos
    by hand in PSP. So the program was designed
    to provide auto cropping and resizing. Operations
    can be done on a folder or file. With a single file
    the cropping rectangle can be dragged to easily
    get the best section of the image.

    If you or anyone else decides to try the program
    I'd be happy to hear criticisms, suggestions, or
    requests. I occasionally update these things when
    it seems worthwhile and would consider making any
    changes that seem like they'd be of value to a
    number of people. (I actually made a change not
    long ago because someone was making a video
    collage of photos and wanted to be able to crop to
    a 16:9 ratio. Up to that point I had provided only
    several typical ratios: 4x6, 5x8, etc. But I realized
    it would be simple to also add a custom option to
    set any ratio.)

    Mayayana, Nov 28, 2012
  13. Wally

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Wally" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:24:40 +1300, Eric Stevens
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:53:34 -0700, Wally <> wrote:

    >>>How?
    >>>

    >>Here is a scan of a 6" x 4" test print I happened to have lying
    >>around. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/Image1.jpg I presume that
    >>this is the sort of thing you want. The length of the panoramic image
    >>has been fitted to the paper and the top and bottom has been padded
    >>with white space.
    >>
    >>If the image was taller than it was wide then the top and bottom of
    >>the image would be fitted to the paper and it would be the sides that
    >>were padded.

    > OK, it looks good. Will have to give it a try. But I gotta admit that
    > JS PhotoPrep sounds exactly right and real simple too.

    I agree, and at $15 US it's a lot cheaper than PR Genuine Fractals. I
    thought it seems what you are looking for.

    Tim Conway, Nov 28, 2012
  14. In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > >I did do this through a Photoshop action when when I was
    > >making heaps of flash presentations.
    > >
    > >The image was placed on a black background, and made to
    > >fit. Had one action for Vertical and another Horizontal
    > >images. Batched whole folders.

    > I do it with a shell script on Linux. It uses /exiftool/
    > to determine the orientation of an image, and adds an
    > option to the /convert/ command to first rotate the image
    > if necessary, then resample, and then add the back ground.

    Can't you do what you want in your print dialog? If not, take your
    printer along with a thumb drive that contains your photos, to visit
    someone who has a Macintosh computer. The built-in Preview App can
    handle common image formats. In the print dialog, choose "Scale to
    Fit", and select "Print Entire Image".

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 28, 2012
  15. Re: Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odddimensions so I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

    Wally <> wrote:
    > I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
    > any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
    > is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
    > the screen.

    > Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
    > because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
    > common albums.

    You could consider making an album not by sticking photos in
    it, but by having the *pages* (containing the images) printed
    (or even better, chemically developed like real photos) and
    then bound to a book --- presto, an album and you can keep
    all the irregular dimensions.

    > Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
    > some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
    > do that.

    imagemagick. It's made for batch processing of images of all
    kinds. (And it's open source, so you can download it, use it
    and even improve it as you like.)

    You'll need to read the manual to find the right options and
    sequence of commands, but someone will have had a similar
    problem before, so it's likely you can find an example on the
    web that you can adapt.

    One way would be to resize (keeping aspect ratio) the image
    to 1200x1800 max (300dpi for 4x6 inch), then extend to
    1200x1800 around the image.

    (untested:)
    convert original.jpg -resize 1200x1800 -gravity center -background darkgrey -extend 1200x1800 resized.jpg

    Now make a loop over all your jpegs, creating the resized jpeg
    in another directory ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 6, 2012
  16. Wally

    Peter Jason Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
    >any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
    >is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
    >the screen.
    >
    >Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
    >because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
    >common albums.
    >
    >The places that print JPGs allow me to crop the pics to fit 4x6, but
    >in most cases that will crop picture area that I don't want to lose.
    >Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
    >some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
    >do that.
    >
    >I can go into software and edit the pic to do this, leaving nice gray
    >margins on either side. But it's not practical to do a couple hundred
    >like this.
    >
    >Irfanview supports batch jobs, and allows setting the canvas size to a
    >desired size in pixels. But that won't work for me, because the
    >original files don't have consistent dimensions.
    >
    >Paint Shop Pro seems to be similar - I can set the required dimensions
    >in pixels or in length units, but that won't work if the origs have
    >many different sizes.
    >
    >So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
    >hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
    >areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.
    >
    >Wally

    Depending on the photo you may want to select the
    area that is cropped because auto-cropping might
    chop heads off etc.

    Peter Jason, Dec 10, 2012