    as a 1GB or 512 MB.

    Are there portable download devices for Sony DSC P10, or for digital
    cameras in general?

    DJ Kim, Oct 30, 2003

  2. DJ Kim

    Stewy Guest

    "DJ Kim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I didn't pay enough attention when people advised I would be needing
    > far more films or memory when going on a honeymoon.
    > Only halfway during the honeymoon, we ran out of memory on our new
    > Sony DSC P10.
    > Luckily, a Hotel manager downloaded the photos onto a Vaio and burned
    > a CD-Rom for us, enabling us to empty the memory and take more
    > pictures.
    >
    > Upon returning from the trip, I started searching for a portable
    > download device (likely a portable hard disk) compatible with my
    > digital camera, but to no avail. At least, none from Sony.
    > For now, the only alternative looks like a larger memory stick, such
    > as a 1GB or 512 MB.
    >
    > Are there portable download devices for Sony DSC P10, or for digital
    > cameras in general?

    Yes there are but, you'll have to check yourself. Some cheap ones need a
    computer to load the pictures. The iPod is a good contender, however you
    need to buy a card reader for this which is HUGE (bigger than the iPod) and
    it costs $99 over and above the price of the iPod, so perhaps it's worth
    waiting until somebody at Mac comes up with a smaller device.

    The cheapest way is to buy more media. A 128mb stick sells for around $40
    (probably less) and can store around 60 or 70 pictures. At present I have 3
    x 128's and 2 64's (a legacy from Sony's ripoff pricing 3 years ago when I
    got my S-70) and I can take around 400 3.3.megapixels pictures

    Stewy, Oct 30, 2003

  3. DJ Kim

    Jimmy Guest

    "DJ Kim" <> wrote in message
    > I didn't pay enough attention when people advised I would be needing
    > far more films or memory when going on a honeymoon.
    > Only halfway during the honeymoon, we ran out of memory on our new
    > Sony DSC P10.
    > Luckily, a Hotel manager downloaded the photos onto a Vaio and burned
    > a CD-Rom for us, enabling us to empty the memory and take more
    > pictures.
    >
    > Upon returning from the trip, I started searching for a portable
    > download device (likely a portable hard disk) compatible with my
    > digital camera, but to no avail. At least, none from Sony.
    > For now, the only alternative looks like a larger memory stick, such
    > as a 1GB or 512 MB.
    >
    > Are there portable download devices for Sony DSC P10, or for digital
    > cameras in general?

    Both of these have been around for awhile and are cost effective portable storage.
    http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/ , but needs the firmware upgrade.
    http://www.image-tank.com/englisch/e_frame.html

    Jimmy, Oct 30, 2003
  4. DJ Kim

    Chad Irby Guest

    In article <>,
    (DJ Kim) wrote:

    > I didn't pay enough attention when people advised I would be needing
    > far more films or memory when going on a honeymoon.
    > Only halfway during the honeymoon, we ran out of memory on our new
    > Sony DSC P10.

    I'd suggest just buying more memory sticks.

    CompUSA has a special on the Lexar 256 MB (128 x 2, actually - there's a
    hard switch between two banks of 128 MB) for about $60 each after
    rebates ($10 in store and $10 mail-in).

    You can fit about 160 3 MP shots on each stick, so you should be able to
    manage a decent amount of pictures on two or three of them, especially
    if you do a little judicious in-camera deleting.

    Target is selling 2100 mAh AA NiMH battery 4-packs for $9.99, by the
    way... if you're going to shoot that much, extra power is a must.

    cirby at cfl.rr.com

    Slam on brakes accordingly.

    Chad Irby, Oct 31, 2003