is there much performance difference between a 2.2 gig P4 and a 1.8 gig Celeron?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by grappletech, Mar 8, 2007.

  1. grappletech

    grappletech Guest

    I needed to replace my old PC -- Celeron 996mhz CPU in a tiny HP e-vectra
    pc (sff -- and had no PCI slots so I couldn't upgrade the lousy 16mb video
    graphics). I've owned this for 2 years.

    So I was on ebay a day or so ago and saw an IBM Netvista about to be sold
    for $65. It had a Celeron 1.8 gig CPU, 256mb ram (will be
    upgraded),LAN,32mb video, 40gig HD, pci slots, etc.. So I put in a bid and
    won it for $69, and then realized he had 5 other PC's whose auction ended
    at the same time. I could have bought a Netvista with a P4 2.2 gig CPU for
    the same price as the Celeron. Doh!

    Could I upgrade the Celeron to a P4 CPU? If so, would it even be much of a
    performace increase to justify upgrading the CPU? I now know that the
    Celeron has half the L2 cache of the P4. I don't do much gaming -- just
    games that are like 5 years old. I mainly just use the PC for web surfing,
    usenet, word processing, etc..

    Netvistas any good? I have never owned an IBM before. I've been buying
    used HP Vectras off ebay for the last 5 years.

    grappletech, Mar 8, 2007

  2. grappletech

    babaloo Guest

    Does the shipping cost more than the computer?
    In any event for what you use your computer for increasing the RAM would be
    the wisest move to boost performance.
    babaloo, Mar 9, 2007

  3. grappletech

    grappletech Guest

    "babaloo" <> wrote in

    > Does the shipping cost more than the computer?
    > In any event for what you use your computer for increasing the RAM
    > would be the wisest move to boost performance.

    No, shipping is only $25. The PC is $65, so $90 total for a IBM Netvista
    with 1.8 gog Celeron CPU, 40 gig HD, 32mb video ram, LAN, sound, 256MB ram.
    I just wish I would have noticed that the guy had a P4 Netvista going for
    the same price as the Celeron.

    grappletech, Mar 9, 2007