Is there much difference between telephone adapters?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Ray, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    I'm having occasional speech quality problems with SunRocket.

    1. When I speak, the person I called will sometimes say I sound like I'm
    stuttering.

    2. Sometimes when the person I call says her first "hello", I don't hear
    it. So I say "hello" and when she replies "hello" a second time, I hear
    it okay. Generally, the rest of her conversation is okay.

    3. I was talking to someone and after I finished speaking, they was no
    response. It was just like the line was dead, but there was no change in
    background noise (it remained at a very low, unobjectable level) to
    indicate anything was wrong. I redialed, connected again and had a
    different problem, so I reverted to my Verizon line.

    Except for that odd situation 2 above, I can hear the person I've called
    clearly, without the stuttering problem. Most problems are understanding
    what I'm saying.

    I'm using a Cablevision cable connection. The cable from the street goes
    first to the cable modem, then to the telephone adapter, which branches
    off to the phone and computer.

    I wasn't trying to do any serious down- or uploading during the
    conversations. Using this website, http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/, my
    download speed is in the range of 500-800 kbps, although I never
    measured it when I have having the speech problems. (Maybe neighbors are
    hogging bandwidth and causing the problems.) Upload speed is about five
    times greater.

    The question is, Would using a different company (e.g., Vonage) with a
    different telephone adapter improve the situation? Also, are there
    telephone adapters that hook directly to the cable from the street and
    whose outputs feed the phone and the cable modem? Wouldn't such an
    arrangement give the phone higher priority than the computer for the
    available bandwidth and thus be immune to down- or uploading that might
    be going on?

    Thanks,

    Ray
    Ray, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Ray

    theMezz.com Guest

    #2 happens to me with USADATANET who uses the same "box" as SunRocket -
    - I just ordered sunrocket myself but have not tested it yet
    theMezz.com, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Ray

    Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > I'm having occasional speech quality problems with SunRocket.
    >
    > 1. When I speak, the person I called will sometimes say I sound like I'm
    > stuttering.
    >
    > 2. Sometimes when the person I call says her first "hello", I don't hear
    > it. So I say "hello" and when she replies "hello" a second time, I hear
    > it okay. Generally, the rest of her conversation is okay.
    >
    > 3. I was talking to someone and after I finished speaking, they was no
    > response. It was just like the line was dead, but there was no change in
    > background noise (it remained at a very low, unobjectable level) to
    > indicate anything was wrong. I redialed, connected again and had a
    > different problem, so I reverted to my Verizon line.
    >
    > Except for that odd situation 2 above, I can hear the person I've called
    > clearly, without the stuttering problem. Most problems are understanding
    > what I'm saying.
    >
    > I'm using a Cablevision cable connection. The cable from the street goes
    > first to the cable modem, then to the telephone adapter, which branches
    > off to the phone and computer.
    >
    > I wasn't trying to do any serious down- or uploading during the
    > conversations. Using this website, http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/, my
    > download speed is in the range of 500-800 kbps, although I never
    > measured it when I have having the speech problems. (Maybe neighbors are
    > hogging bandwidth and causing the problems.) Upload speed is about five
    > times greater.
    >
    > The question is, Would using a different company (e.g., Vonage) with a
    > different telephone adapter improve the situation? Also, are there
    > telephone adapters that hook directly to the cable from the street and
    > whose outputs feed the phone and the cable modem? Wouldn't such an
    > arrangement give the phone higher priority than the computer for the
    > available bandwidth and thus be immune to down- or uploading that might
    > be going on?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    It sounds like an issue with your internet provider as opposed to
    SunRocket. You could always try moving your gizmo around in its setup,
    but it sounds more like an internet provider issue.
    , Jan 30, 2006
  4. Ray

    Bill Kearney Guest

    > I can't move the gizmo ahead of the cable modem. The gizmo's cable input
    > is a WAN connector, not the round coax connector that matchs the
    > standard cable coming out of the wall.

    Then just make sure the gizmo is ahead of any other networking devices. If
    your cable modem is your switch then you'll need to get another switch and
    put the gizmo in-between it and the cable modem. This way the gizmo can hog
    as much bandwidth as it needs before anything else in the house tries. That
    will only make sure nothing on your end, in the house, is the problem. If
    the upstream cable modem network is clogged up there's not a lot you can do
    about it (many often are).
    Bill Kearney, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

    wrote:

    > Ray wrote:
    >
    >>I'm having occasional speech quality problems with SunRocket.
    >>
    >>1. When I speak, the person I called will sometimes say I sound like I'm
    >>stuttering.
    >>
    >>2. Sometimes when the person I call says her first "hello", I don't hear
    >>it. So I say "hello" and when she replies "hello" a second time, I hear
    >>it okay. Generally, the rest of her conversation is okay.
    >>
    >>3. I was talking to someone and after I finished speaking, they was no
    >>response. It was just like the line was dead, but there was no change in
    >>background noise (it remained at a very low, unobjectable level) to
    >>indicate anything was wrong. I redialed, connected again and had a
    >>different problem, so I reverted to my Verizon line.
    >>
    >>Except for that odd situation 2 above, I can hear the person I've called
    >>clearly, without the stuttering problem. Most problems are understanding
    >>what I'm saying.
    >>
    >>I'm using a Cablevision cable connection. The cable from the street goes
    >>first to the cable modem, then to the telephone adapter, which branches
    >>off to the phone and computer.
    >>
    >>I wasn't trying to do any serious down- or uploading during the
    >>conversations. Using this website, http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/, my
    >>download speed is in the range of 500-800 kbps, although I never
    >>measured it when I have having the speech problems. (Maybe neighbors are
    >>hogging bandwidth and causing the problems.) Upload speed is about five
    >>times greater.
    >>
    >>The question is, Would using a different company (e.g., Vonage) with a
    >>different telephone adapter improve the situation? Also, are there
    >>telephone adapters that hook directly to the cable from the street and
    >>whose outputs feed the phone and the cable modem? Wouldn't such an
    >>arrangement give the phone higher priority than the computer for the
    >>available bandwidth and thus be immune to down- or uploading that might
    >>be going on?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Ray

    > It sounds like an issue with your internet provider as opposed to
    > SunRocket. You could always try moving your gizmo around in its setup,
    > but it sounds more like an internet provider issue.

    I can't move the gizmo ahead of the cable modem. The gizmo's cable input
    is a WAN connector, not the round coax connector that matchs the
    standard cable coming out of the wall.

    Thanks, anyway.

    Ray
    Ray, Jan 31, 2006