    I am in New Zealand, half way round the world on wireless access to my ISP.
    Thanks
    Mac

    Mac Lynch, May 7, 2004

  2. Mac Lynch

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 19:06:36 +0000 (UTC), Mac Lynch wrote:

    >Kia Ora
    >When I sync my PC by accessing a time source eg US Naval Observatory, is there

    No source closer to your location? Answer lots..... see link below.

    >a detectable lag when my PC automatically updates.

    Shouldn't be. For Unices/Windows systems the NTP software should have an
    option to log corrections. Otherwise if you set your clock to the wrong
    date/time. Wait for the update (log file/event log) to arrive and check
    if there is a delay.

    You didn't mention anything about OS , if the time is actually correct
    or it's wrong each time you start your PC, what client you may be using.

    You have to be careful not to always use distant sources / stratum 1
    some sources will block these requests. There is a polite way to do
    things with NTP requests. Basically email the sysadmin for access if
    required, use local sources, try and observe the service areas listed as
    per examples,

    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1a.html

    Basically it's Stratum 1/2 - ISP/Governent Lab/Other - You.

    If you want to compare your PC time with other local / remote sources
    try something like

    http://www.satsignal.net/
    top right - Net Tools / NTP Monitor

    Again the polite way to use this is to maybe run it for only a few
    minutes, if you are connecting to Stratum 1 / 2 servers.

    If you have your own LAN, for Windows PCs user Tardis
    http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/ (as a server) to time sync from an
    external source and re-broadcast to Win/Linux clients on your LAN. This
    is the preferred route rather than you making multiple outgoing
    requests.

    For more info, (lots more) and technical try the newsgroup
    comp.protocols.time.ntp
    or same group
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.protocols.time.ntp

    >I am in New Zealand, half way round the world on wireless access to my ISP.

    Doesn't matter, for you :) that's the right side, half way round from
    here.

    http://www.ntp.org/
    See 'Time Servers' list on the right hand side.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=new zealand ntp source
    See the guide on the 1st link from that search.

    Me

    why?, May 7, 2004

  3. Mac Lynch wrote:

    > Kia Ora
    > When I sync my PC by accessing a time source eg US Naval Observatory, is
    > there a detectable lag when my PC automatically updates.
    > I am in New Zealand, half way round the world on wireless access to my
    > ISP. Thanks
    > Mac

    Time sync software detects any delay and adjusts for it. However, on the
    Internet, "halfway around the world" is virtually the same as next door:
    signals travel at the speed of light. There may be some delay in checking a
    remote server because the signal must pass through more routers, but as I
    said that's taken into account. You didn't specify which software you are
    using to update your clock so I can't help you beyond that. You might check
    the manual for your software and see if you can tell it to use a server
    that is closer to you. google will help you find one. They all use the same
    protocol so you don't have to worry about incompatibilities with your
    software. If you are /that/ concerned with your clock being spot on, there
    are some applications which will consult several servers and average
    between them; some of these will even adjust your system's clock to
    compensate for the drift. --Oh wait, that's Linux ntpd; never mind.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, May 7, 2004