    thoughts please

    thanx
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Jimmy Dean

    DaveW Guest

    In the cmd window type "HELP DIR" w/o the quotes to get a
    complete list of modifiers, including sort order, that can be
    use with the DIR command.

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > I don't just mean the sort view in Windows Explorer or whatever.
    >
    > I mean the sort order as it actually occurs in whatever NTFS uses

    for
    > a file allocation table. So if you open a CMD window and do a dir
    > (Enter), then the filenames are always sorted by Name. They do not
    > occur in their natural unsorted order as they would be under

    FAT-32.

    DaveW, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Jimmy Dean

    nUt Guest

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > I don't just mean the sort view in Windows Explorer or whatever.
    >
    > I mean the sort order as it actually occurs in whatever NTFS uses for
    > a file allocation table. So if you open a CMD window and do a dir
    > (Enter), then the filenames are always sorted by Name. They do not
    > occur in their natural unsorted order as they would be under FAT-32.
    >
    > thoughts please

    Alas no thoughts JD, just the simply facts.

    Type DIR /? for a list of options... here are the flags you're looking for:

    DIR /N By name
    DIR /S By size
    DIR /E By extension
    DIR /D By date/time
    DIR /G Group directories first

    Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a "DIR /RandomNaturalUnsortedOrder"
    switch ;)

    nUt, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:36:09 +0200, "nUt" <> wrote:

    >Alas no thoughts JD, just the simply facts.
    >
    >Type DIR /? for a list of options... here are the flags you're looking for:
    >
    >DIR /N By name
    >DIR /S By size
    >DIR /E By extension
    >DIR /D By date/time
    >DIR /G Group directories first
    >
    >Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a "DIR /RandomNaturalUnsortedOrder"
    >switch ;)

    Thanx, but DIR was only to indicate the natural unsorted order as it
    actually exists in the filesystem i.e. I was not cconcerned about the
    way the DIR display can be customised

    cheers
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 3, 2004